Edit and compile from portable HDD

1bobby

I have a small USB portable Hard Disk Drive. I would like to install the Autoit software to the HDD then I could execute the (Autoit) application on any computer and be able to change or compile script as required on any computer with out installing the Autoit software on that computer. When you down load the package and install it, you don't get the option of where to install the software. Is this possible and how would I do it.

This would expedite the creation of scrip programs.

Thank you, a newbee

:">

I believe the Aut2Exe works independing of installation directory, but I'm not sure.

Here's the portable app concept. Let's imagine you want to open scite from the portable drive and hit F5 to run the script. Scite looks on it's configuration file for the path and file name of autoit. Scite finds C:\program files\autoit\autoit.exe. But you need it to look at H:\Autoit\autoit.exe. This tells you that the path is variable. You need an environment variable.

You must open scite's config file for editing. You're gonna use an environment variable like %AUTOITDIR%. In AutoIt there's a function to set environment variables, but I don't remember it's name now. So, put in Scite's configuration file: %AUTOITDIR%\autoit.exe

You must always use a compiled script to run scite, because the script must set the environment variable %AUTOITDIR% to @ScriptDir before it runs scite.exe.

I believe that's simple to implement, although my explanation was a little confusing. Here are the steps:

- You run PortableScite.exe.

- PortableScite.exe checks it's path using @ScriptDir.

- PortableScite.exe sets %AUTOITDIR% with the @ScriptDir value.

- PortableScite.exe launches Scite.exe

- Scite.exe reads it's configuration file to get autoit.exe's path. It reads %AUTOITDIR%\autoit.exe

- Scite.exe runs %AUTOITDIR%\autoit.exe. It works, and autoit.exe is launched from the portable device.

[quote name='Valik' post='301213' date='Jan 31 2007, 10:36 PM']You seem to have a habit of putting things in the wrong place. I feel sorry for any female you attempt to have sex with.[/quote][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/font]

• Developers

i posted a script that allows you to run AutoIT3 and SciTE of a JumpDrive..

This should be the same ...

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• 2 months later...

Spammer - in the qurey for the portable hard disk drive you talk about a program called "PortableScite.exe" which I have not been able to locate. I am still having problems with trying to run autoit, scite, or the script from a portable hard disk drive. I would really like to carry all the programs that I am working on and the software on the HDD. Guess I am missing something someplace. This should make debug and correction faster as I can set it up on a computer, write it, debut it and compile it and leave no trace of Autoit. As you can see I don't get a lot of time to work on this project.

newbee :shocked:

• Developers

Spammer - in the qurey for the portable hard disk drive you talk about a program called "PortableScite.exe" which I have not been able to locate. I am still having problems with trying to run autoit, scite, or the script from a portable hard disk drive. I would really like to carry all the programs that I am working on and the software on the HDD. Guess I am missing something someplace. This should make debug and correction faster as I can set it up on a computer, write it, debut it and compile it and leave no trace of Autoit. As you can see I don't get a lot of time to work on this project.

newbee :shocked:

Have you looked at what i recommended ?

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)