KJohn DesktopSearch

KJohn

About being realistic... I am all for realism... When not being realistic can pose a serious threat to your/other's well being/life...

Being what others might consider being unrealistic on such a 'project', might be just what I need to get it done... and prove a point... If I fail at it, its not going to hurt me... I'll hav the satisfaction of having tried my best... I'll never have to look back and say, "What if I had tried?"

Like I said, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.. so why not?

Like I said, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.. so why not?

then go ahead. I'm eager to hear, when you beat Google Desktop .....

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

then go ahead. I'm eager to hear, when you beat Google Desktop .....

that sounded like it was laced with a lot of sarcasm... lol..

i'm doing this for fun... not for business gain like Google...

i'll be sure to let u know tho...

that sounded like it was laced with a lot of sarcasm... lol..

Nope.

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

But about the example you mentioned... Google Desktop does not support an OR query... Only logical AND... (upto version 4 anyway; i won't install 5... i just hate having all those processes running in the background forever..)

Ok, use swish++. I can agree with you about background processes.

anyway, you can't check for txt or dat in a single query in google desktop... OR is supported only in web search queries...

Ok, if you say so.

i haven't started playing with regular expressions enough to be able to incorporate it into my program at the moment...

As for searching within files, i've progressed this far in feasibilty:

- searching within txt and html and all similar ASCII files...

- searching within metadata of files...

- searching within PDFs

I still haven't figured out how to convert:

- DOC, XLS, PPT into txt to index

- DOCX, XLSX,PPTX into txt (all these are just compressed files that can be unzipped)

Uten, since you've taken interest in this so far, wht other files would you be interested in searching WITHIN?

Most of it covered allready. Plain text files is what I use to index the content of. pdf, chm, doc, xls, html, manpages zip, 7z and other archives and document formats are nice to have, but not a must, in my case.

I have a feeling I'll still be able to beat Google Desktop even if I incorporate the above functionality... but it all depends on how fast the conversion to txt process will take per file... so no claims at this point...

If the indexing takes some time it does not really matter. It's getting results fast from the index that is the point.

Just out of curiosity, how does google manage to take queries off a HTML file running in Internet Explorer? It loopsback to 127.0.0.1 and makes your computer a server serving itself???

That is right. Google desktop and other desktop index engines runs a server on your localhost. You can even do this in AutoIt..:whistle:

• 6 months later...

and i don't think u can find a faster program than mine on this forum or elsewhere that does what i hav said it would... can u?

i'm open to discussion...

I can think of a faster, better, more advanced but still not bloated application that beats yours hands down. The application is called Locate.

Considering how adamant you are about not using other people's sources inappropriately or using them as your own, make sure you don't view the source code of Locate and use it yourself.

And by the way... if you would just post your sources, I wouldn't be so eager to recommend this program over yours.

We don't know what your file could do. For every single search it performs it could attempt to send personal information somewhere, delete a file, read registry entries for valid software licenses and so forth.

Edited by fowmow

I can think of a faster, better, more advanced but still not bloated application that beats yours hands down. The application is called Locate.

Considering how adamant you are about not using other people's sources inappropriately or using them as your own, make sure you don't view the source code of Locate and use it yourself.

And by the way... if you would just post your sources, I wouldn't be so eager to recommend this program over yours.

We don't know what your file could do. For every single search it performs it could attempt to send personal information somewhere, delete a file, read registry entries for valid software licenses and so forth.

@fowmow (same reply for both my search engine topics)

I'm not going to look at the source code for locate and hence, I won't be able to copy anything. Enough people find neoSearch good enough and a good number major download sites trust the program and have certified it. The latest site to put up neoSearch is c|net's Download.com and they have certified it as absolutely safe. And enough people on this forum trust me. Jon has even put up the program in the Forum's download section.

Is it strange that I don't find you running after Microsoft asking them for the Windows' source code? Anyway, if you can't trust my program, well then, don't. I don't need your seal of approval. About 16 people have downloaded neoSearch everyday on an average since it was released. Currently, the downloads stand at around 30 per day (sample from yesterday). And I'm definite, your approval of my program is not going to increase this number in any way, other than maybe for the copy you download.

Recommend Locate all you want... Giving me this sort of talk is not going to get me to release my code... I'm not some little kid to get sucked into that... You obviously want the source for other reasons: what makes you think i'm going to fall for the "i'm scared of your code" routine?

P.S. KJohn DesktopSearch has been replaced by neoSearch (thread: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49276)

• Moderators

Jon has even put up the program in the Forum's download section.

I haven't seen your work, but I've played with similar ideas in the past... but my real question is... There's a "download" section of the forum?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

I'm not going to look at the source code for locate and hence, I won't be able to copy anything. Enough people find neoSearch good enough and a good number major download sites trust the program and have certified it. The latest site to put up neoSearch is c|net's Download.com and they have certified it as absolutely safe. And enough people on this forum trust me. Jon has even put up the program in the Forum's download section.

That does not actually mean anything. Countless software "review" sites flag software as 5 stars right off the bat, or pull 1-hour reviews only to claim it is some revolutionary software. Like I said... it does not mean anything.

Is it strange that I don't find you running after Microsoft asking them for the Windows' source code?

You make a lot of assumptions for someone who has *no* clue what I do. Anyway, get the United States government (or any government for that matter) to verify your code and I will be more than willing to use it and even advertise it. Freeware circles love more good freeware.

Anyway, if you can't trust my program, well then, don't. I don't need your seal of approval.

Good, because I surely did not give it. Nor did I say you needed it.

About 16 people have downloaded neoSearch everyday on an average since it was released. Currently, the downloads stand at around 30 per day (sample from yesterday). And I'm definite, your approval of my program is not going to increase this number in any way, other than maybe for the copy you download.

Aaaaaaand?

Recommend Locate all you want... Giving me this sort of talk is not going to get me to release my code... I'm not some little kid to get sucked into that... You obviously want the source for other reasons: what makes you think i'm going to fall for the "i'm scared of your code" routine?

Again, you assume too much. I just find it odd that in *this* forum, in *this* language, you protect your source so vehemently. If someone copies your source, big deal. Call them on it.

I personally believe you "borrowed" quite a bit of the source yourself. Either that or your program does something you do not wish anyone to see.

Now if we were in a C/C++ forum, assembler or any other truly compilable language forum, I would not be bothering you at all about this. But we are dealing with an automation language that can bypass *several* antivirus and malware scans simply because of how it operates and its signatures.

Like I said, think about how most people probably have their Internet Explorer allowed by their firewall, that means they would get *no* indication of your precious neoSearch opening a hidden Internet Explorer control and posting all my valid software licenses that your mighty neoSearch found due to its "amazing algorithm" to some koshyjohn-is-a-scammer.com address.

Now, I will leave you with this. I do not want your source, nor do I really care about it short of being able to run it myself and compile it myself.

Nor am I saying that your program *is* dangerous. In fact, I have verified the safety of neoSearch myself by various methods, but it would still be nice if you honored the general attitude and spirit of this *open-source* software and forum. Besides, my methods could be lacking. *shrugs*

So, whatever...

P.S. KJohn DesktopSearch has been replaced by neoSearch (thread: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49276)

And for the record (I think I said this already elsewhere), neoSearch does not perform well for me. You didn't even respond to that. Now that I look, I see all you did was cross-post this (yet another sign as to the type of person you are) to the other thread.

• Moderators

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...odule=downloads

The link says it all me thinks... I came to the conclusion that it was the download section for the forum... correct me if i'm wrong...

As long as I've been here, I've never even seen that.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Moderators

Wow, you sure have a lot to say for someone that hasn't been here that long (or have you ;) ;) ) ...

I personally believe you "borrowed" quite a bit of the source yourself. Either that or your program does something you do not wish anyone to see.

He probably has used source code from others, matter of fact, I don't know anything made in autoit worth 2 flips that doesn't have a little of someone else in it... Do we really care if he is?

Now if we were in a C/C++ forum, assembler or any other truly compilable language forum, I would not be bothering you at all about this. But we are dealing with an automation language that can bypass *several* antivirus and malware scans simply because of how it operates and its signatures.

;) are you kidding? :)

Like I said, think about how most people probably have their Internet Explorer allowed by their firewall, that means they would get *no* indication of your precious neoSearch opening a hidden Internet Explorer control and posting all my valid software licenses that your mighty neoSearch found due to its "amazing algorithm" to some koshyjohn-is-a-scammer.com address.

If you want to see what his program is doing behind the scenes, download FileMon or something similar and run it in a virtual environment... That should solve all your suspicions...

Wow, you sure have a lot to say for someone that hasn't been here that long (or have you ;) ;) ) ...

I browsed on and off for years. Until recently I did not know AutoIt had become a "full blown language" so to speak.

I saw someone's media player application and was pretty much blown away. I did not know AutoIt had become a free, open-source, scriptable "Visual Basic." :(

He probably has used source code from others, matter of fact, I don't know anything made in autoit worth 2 flips that doesn't have a little of someone else in it... Do we really care if he is?

Good point. You are right. And no, I do not. It just irks you when you *know* someone is up to *something* but do not know what unless they go open-source.

I wish the quote system would keep your quotes instead of stripping them. (Is that possible?) But anyway, no, I am not. I actually tried a few suggestions on commonly known virus signatures (posted here even, about "eicar"), and other stuff like running functions from dangerous DLLs, even embedding unsafe write operations and whatnot.

There were several instances where Windows balked at what I was doing, or *some* cases where the different antivirus programs I used restricted access to them, but in a few cases, they were simply allowed to run. The same thing in a standard EXE written in C for example fired every single antivirus warning. So, I figured it has to do with the way AutoIt is a wrapper EXE rather than a truly compiled one.

If you want to see what his program is doing behind the scenes, download FileMon or something similar and run it in a virtual environment... That should solve all your suspicions...

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually put it through a sandbox (and a few other things) but I imagine loading it into a virtual machine is much better.

I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for the support... I'm continuing this at the neoSearch thread...