FMFD GUI editor with code generator

Gerome

Dear all,

Here's, as promised, the alpha version of my new FBSL Mini Form Designer. It comes

as a standalone executable plus dependencies because I haven't yet documented the

source code in full. As soon as I have it ready and based on your observations and

tests, I'll release the entire source script.

Why FMFD?

=========

Because a R(apid)A(pplication)D(evelopment) environment is a must for any serious

contemporary programming language. It is intended to assist FBSL coders in

developing attractive, user-friendly windowed interfaces based on the set of common

controls Windows provides as standard.

Why "Mini"?

===========

Because FMFD serves only the most urgent needs of FBSL users while the full-scale

FBSL Script Factory project that combines a highlighting editor and a visual designer

in an MDI environment, is still at its development stage.

What it doesn't?

================

- FMFD doesn't support multiple selection operations (FSF will have this feature);

- FMFD doesn't reflect current changes made to the form design and layout (FSF will

have this feature). Each change in the current form designer window must be followed

by generating a new code window, whereby all modifications to the code made directly

in the preceding code generator window will be lost in the new one;

- FMFD version alpha's code generator doesn't produce a separate block of control

(ex)style constants for those of them that are not presently built into, and recognized

by, FBSL itself (this feature will hopefully be available in FMFD version beta). Until

then, the numeric values for these (ex)style constants will have to be added by the

user manually;

- FMFD version alpha does not generate any code for setting the control-specific

extended styles (see "Ctl Extended" button on the Styles pane). The problem is that

these styles can't be set in a usual way by SetWindowLong() with the GWL_EXSTYLE flag.

FMFD version beta will have this feature fully functional for every common control that

has specific extended styles. In the meantime, the user is supposed to add the appropriate

code manually.

What it does?

=============

- FMFD generates and saves an .fbs script template for the projected user interface

design which can easily be developed into a complete GUI application;

- FMFD generates a .vdf visual designer form file that stores all the relevant control

design and placement data for easy restoration and modification of complicated visual

designs;

- FMFD provides handy means to change standard and extended styles of control windows,

as well as a few basic control properties. All changes are readily made effective by

clicking the "Apply Changes" button. The entire form design may at any time be tested

in the real runtime mode by clicking on the "Runtime Test" toolbar button.

Basic Features

==============

- intuitive and user-friendly MDI interface;

- adjustable optional grid with step ranging from 4 pixels up to infinity;

- optional snap-controls-to-grid feature;

- control Z-ordering via bring-to-front/send-to-back toolbar buttons;

- optional lock-controls toggle to avoid accidental misplacement of controls by jerky

mouse movements;

- control copy/paste operations;

- VB-style Ctrl+arrowkey positioning and Shift+arrowkey sizing of controls unaffected

by the lock-controls toggle;

- VB-style cycling through the controls with the Tab key.

I hope you'll enjoy this new tool written entirely in, and for, FBSL. Each and every

of your observations, remarks, and suggestions will be most welcome.

Additions & Mods to Version Alpha as of January 22, 2007:

=====================================

1/ Added the ES_AUTOHSCROLL style to the "Caption" edit box to enter long strings (1Kbyte max.),

and the ES_NUMBER style, to the Left, Top, Width, Height edit boxes.

2/ Added code to "Case IDM_FRONT/BACK" to change the order of control creation to correspond

to the actual visual Z-order.

3/ Added status bar messages.

4/ Added the following hotkeys:

- Ctrl+Alt+C -> copy the selected control;

- Ctrl+Alt+V -> paste a copy of the control at the current cursor position;

- Ctrl+Enter -> apply style/caption/size/position changes.

5/ Added automatic emission of style constants which are not intrinsically recognized by FBSL.

Note: FMFD DOES NOT LIST NOR EMIT (ex)styles which have numeric values of 0 -- these (ex)styles

are usually used by Windows on default when no other (ex)styles are specified.

Mods to Version Alpha as of January 23, 2007

=============================

1/ Changed the output format of emitting the missing (ex)styles from block Const's to #Define's. This saves memory and makes execution faster, as suggested by Gerome.

2/ Changed the control handle dimensioning code from separate Dim statements to a multiline Dim statement. This adds some freelance flavor to automatically generated script templates, as suggested by Gerome ( Wink ) -- see the accompanying FMFDTest.fbs.

Please download it!

Michael Lobko-Lobanovsky

FMFD's download link :

http://gedd123.free.fr/Fbsl/FMFD/FMFDvA.zip

A screenshot :

Posted Image

Yours,(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN] [Freestyle Basic Script Language Author]·._.·´¯):: Full SETUP w. HELP ::FBSL official web siteA keyboard is infinitely better as a programming tool than a toaster...

• Developers

What is this thread doing in this Forum ?

A forum to share your cools scripts, User Defined Functions and AutoIt-based applications with others.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Hey,

What is this thread doing in this Forum ?

Don't you like free GUI code generator like mine ?

It was developped using an autoit like language, it just expose you the power of a scripting language :whistle:

Please don't be so systematic, be open minded :)

Yours,(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN] [Freestyle Basic Script Language Author]·._.·´¯):: Full SETUP w. HELP ::FBSL official web siteA keyboard is infinitely better as a programming tool than a toaster...

• Developers

Hey,

Don't you like free GUI code generator like mine ?

It was developped using an autoit like language, it just expose you the power of a scripting language :whistle:

Please don't be so systematic, be open minded :)

you didn't answer my question ...

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

you didn't read/understood my post...

maybe I did and that's why I am asking again :

Does you thread fall within the scope of this forum or are you seeking free advertisement space ?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Germone, that is a very good editor, but this forum is for AutoIT built applications only. I do however really like this, but it shouldn't be posted in this forum.

Secure

ok, I was just looking for testers, i can just precise this GUI editor can be easily expanded to output autoit code as well, but anyway...

I think the question is here, How is this useful to Autoit users?

Other than advertising another scripting language, I can`t see how it helps users of this forum...

2015 - Still no flying cars, instead blankets with sleeves.

I think the question is here, How is this useful to Autoit users?

Other than advertising another scripting language, I can`t see how it helps users of this forum...

1/ If you have tested it, you can see how interesting it can be for you and for autoit users as well.

2/ Since it's a FREE product, I can't see any advertisement, in the commercial sense as everyone can understand.

So ?

No problem :whistle: