Check for failure

notta

Guys, what the best way to do error checking? I want to make sure that a specific microsoft KB patch doesn't perform an illegal operation and terminate in the middle of updating. I see a lot of error checking posts use the Opt("RunErrorsFatal", 1) but I'm not too sure exactly what that's doing. Appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that this is going to be a silent install on many computers across our domain. I will not be in front of the machine and I want to keep it invisible from the users. I was hoping I could detect the error and than write it to a log file and copy the file to a share on our servers marking it as incomplete. That way we know we have to maybe look at that machine manually.

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that this is going to be a silent install on many computers across our domain. I will not be in front of the machine and I want to keep it invisible from the users. I was hoping I could detect the error and than write it to a log file and copy the file to a share on our servers marking it as incomplete. That way we know we have to maybe look at that machine manually.

well, if you do a silent installation of a M$ patch, then make it write a log (/log:c:\patch123.log). After the patch has finished, try to figure out if there are any error messages in the patch log and if so, copy the log file to the sever share! There is no way to "catch" an error which was generated by the M$ Patch installation, other than that? Additionally you could check the return value of the patch installer ($exitcode = RunWait(...)). However, then you'll have to figure out what's the return codes meaning.

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *