Shell32.dll icons changed (Win XP)

Kudzu309

I wrote a script that displayed some icons next to text buttons that perform different functions, and most of the icons are from c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll. I've been using the script and modifying it for about two months, but very recently many of the icons are missing or changed. I used a program to display all of the icons within shell32.dll (I used the same app when originally writing the script) and many of them have changed. Previously the icon numbers went up to 200-some, and now they go to 16721. I can see additional icons being added, but many of them have been moved around as well.

I've tried clearing out the icon cache, but that hasn't helped.

Any idea what's going on? Did some sort of Microsoft patch replace shell32.dll? And if icons have been moved around within Shell32.dll I would think that many other icons withing Windows would be screwed up, not just my little script.

BTW, the app I'm using to view the icons within Shell32.dll is Nirsoft's IconExtract: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iconsext.html and I'm using Windows XP Pro.

I've worked a bunch on this myself. It depends on several things, and yes, if your PC received a patch, the id of the icon may have changed. The best method to address this issue is to reference a icon directly. You can also extract icons from shell32.dll if you like.