Create documentation tool

BlueBird

Hi,

I was wondering. Is it possible to create a documentation tool with AutoIt?

For eg. While installing a application it can create screenshots and a inputbox is shown to record text. When finished installing and configuring the application a Word document needs to be generated with the screenshots and the captured text under it.

:whistle:

Hi,

I was wondering. Is it possible to create a documentation tool with AutoIt?

For eg. While installing a application it can create screenshots and a inputbox is shown to record text. When finished installing and configuring the application a Word document needs to be generated with the screenshots and the captured text under it.

:whistle:

Search this forum for info on the many "screencapture" methods that are described, then add a function to your installation script that calls the screen capture function whenever you want. Also use the inputbox function in AutoIT to grab text and stuff it into a variable for later use. Or you could keep track of all text by stuffing the inputbox output into something like this:
$comment = inputbox... 
$reportall = $reportall & @crlf & @crlf & $comment

The first thing you need, however, is the actual installation script. Anything you can show us now?

Edited by jefhal
...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format

Thx for your reaction.

I have no script atm. Just a plan. I was playing earlier with VBS, but that won't do the trick. Even with the AutoIt API the final result would be very messy. That's why I want to make the full tool with AutoIt. I've used it in the past, but nothing more then the sendkeys method. I've now discovered AutoIt can do a lot more then tought. :whistle: I'm just amazed about it.

I allready found (on this forum) some examples of making screenshots and a inputbox.

Further I was hoping that someone allready made something like this or could me give some more usefull examples to learn from it. Just to give me a start :)

My goal is to make a portable tool which documents how an application must be installed and configured without registering dll's or installing applications like dotnet framework.

From what I've seen I first have to make a GUI and then add functions for screen capturing and text input.

Search this forum for info on the many "screencapture" methods that are described, then add a function to your installation script that calls the screen capture function whenever you want. Also use the inputbox function in AutoIT to grab text and stuff it into a variable for later use. Or you could keep track of all text by stuffing the inputbox output into something like this:

$comment = inputbox... 
$reportall = $reportall & @crlf & @crlf & $comment

The first thing you need, however, is the actual installation script. Anything you can show us now?