Download programs via Internet Explorer

Hi

I have a list a programs that I need to keep upto date.

My Objective is to:

Open Webpage using IE

Click on the 'download now' link

Confirm where I want to save the program to.

Exit the script.

For example:-

_IECreate ("http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html")

The above will open webpage for Adware.

But, I can not found a way to move the mouse to click on the 'download now' link.

I tried using:-

ControlClick("Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition - Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com", "Download Now", 'Button1')

But, that didn;t work.

Any ideas?

I tried using:-

ControlClick("Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition - Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com", "Download Now", 'Button1')

But, that didn;t work.

Any ideas?

ControlClick will not work since the Download Now link is a html link, not a windows control. You could probably try _IECreate(" <copy-paste the download link you can aqcuire with the RMB on the link> ") but 1. the link of download.com is auto-generated and thus may change, and 2. you may still have to manually click the IE security bar to allow the download.

To go around all sorts of difficult stuff handling complex auto-generated links from download.com, an easier suggestion would probably be to download the file manually and put it on an easier-to-reach location on some webspace in your control, and then using InetGet with an nice and easy, directly reachable url. Why do difficult stuff when there's an easy way? :whistle:

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.

ControlClick will not work since the Download Now link is a html link, not a windows control. You could probably try _IECreate(" <copy-paste the download link you can aqcuire with the RMB on the link> ") but 1. the link of download.com is auto-generated and thus may change, and 2. you may still have to manually click the IE security bar to allow the download.

To go around all sorts of difficult stuff handling complex auto-generated links from download.com, an easier suggestion would probably be to download the file manually and put it on an easier-to-reach location on some webspace in your control, and then using InetGet with an nice and easy, directly reachable url. Why do difficult stuff when there's an easy way? :whistle:

Thanks for the tip/.

I'll give it a try

To the mods: PLEASE allow guests to reply to posts, after passing a captcha. It is *extremely* annoying to have to sign up just to drop a few words in hopes of assisting someone.

To SadBunny: "Why do difficult stuff where there's an easy way?" Well, the solution you propose may not be the most "easy" way to get this done. "List of programs I need to keep up to date" & "download the file manually" are not exactly compatible ideas. The whole point of using AutoIt is to *automate* the process of doing the updates. Doing the file downloads manually sort of defeats the purpose does it not? Heck, if you are going to manually download them, and then re-upload them to your own webspace, only to have your script redownload them, isn't that actually taking *more* manual work than simply visiting the pages and downloading the files as needed?

To ds10025: The ideas mentioned here (http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17714) should be of a help. Using that you could possibly parse the contents of the webpage to get the version # of the program, and only download it if it was newer than that of the previous download. You should also be able to use it to grab the necessary download URL, and then start the download by launching said URL in a new browser instance. (I think the 'security bar' feature doesn't kick in if you use a direct link to a file on a site to launch IE)

Edited by RandomGuest

To the mods: PLEASE allow guests to reply to posts, after passing a captcha. It is *extremely* annoying to have to sign up just to drop a few words in hopes of assisting someone.

To SadBunny: "Why do difficult stuff where there's an easy way?" Well, the solution you propose may not be the most "easy" way to get this done. "List of programs I need to keep up to date" & "download the file manually" are not exactly compatible ideas. The whole point of using AutoIt is to *automate* the process of doing the updates. Doing the file downloads manually sort of defeats the purpose does it not? Heck, if you are going to manually download them, and then re-upload them to your own webspace, only to have your script redownload them, isn't that actually taking *more* manual work than simply visiting the pages and downloading the files as needed?

To ds10025: The ideas mentioned here (http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17714) should be of a help. Using that you could possibly parse the contents of the webpage to get the version # of the program, and only download it if it was newer than that of the previous download. You should also be able to use it to grab the necessary download URL, and then start the download by launching said URL in a new browser instance. (I think the 'security bar' feature doesn't kick in if you use a direct link to a file on a site to launch IE)

If they did that, that wouldn't be smart on there part now would it. They would have spammers fying all over the place and they can't ban someone who doesn't exist, also by making people sign up it shows that they actually want to help and want to be a part of autoit

If they did that, that wouldn't be smart on there part now would it. They would have spammers fying all over the place and they can't ban someone who doesn't exist, also by making people sign up it shows that they actually want to help and want to be a part of autoit

Thanks RandomGuest. I'll check it out.

I was thinking about this last night. What about using Macros?

• Moderators

:whistle: For the Love of God... No!!!!! :P

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.