Autoit: A Full Fledged Language One Day?

Guest Guidosoft

Do you think that AutoIt will one day become a popular full "Programing" language with power like C++ and GUI ease like VB?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that AutoIt will one day become a popular full "Programing" language with power like C++ and GUI ease like VB?

• I BET MY LIFE AND THE UNIVERSE ON IT! MAN!!!
    • Yes.
    • Probably
    • Maybe
    • Probably not
    • No.
    • ABSOLUTLY NO CHANCE AT ALL WHATSOEVER!

Guest Guidosoft

I love mathamatics and am obsesed with the consepts of numbers and data.

Howcome everybody think math sucks?

Even if something is difficult I will sit there for at least on hour and try to think of the solution. It should come to me with a min if it is just something that needs to be figured out how to be done but it takes me alot more time to resolve a delema.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote algorythm on paper at age 13 to solve rubiks cube. took me 5 hours. Take a stab at it. Other math topics maybe of interest to you are linear programming, optimization (simplex), everything having to do with 'e' the natural log. Array stuff, of course. I'm like you, enjoy a problem and like to hunker down and figure it out.

Guest Guidosoft

I wrote algorythm on paper at age 13 to solve rubiks cube. took me 5 hours. Take a stab at it. Other math topics maybe of interest to you are linear programming, optimization (simplex), everything having to do with 'e' the natural log. Array stuff, of course. I'm like you, enjoy a problem and like to hunker down and figure it out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok. :ph34r:

10x better? HELL NO!!!!

1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

000000000000000000000000000000000000...(truncated) = x

x to the second power = y.

y to the y power. That's howq much better it is!!!! YEA BABY YEA!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guidosoft is a little off the far end... huh? :)

Well, AutoIt is cool enough... but it doesn't have anything exclusive to offer if it was made into it's own language... A lot of the syntax is the same as other languages... which would mean just a lot of wasted programming hours for something someone else basically did... It's cool as a Win automation tool...

Jonathan Chan

• 1 month later...

I vote probably not because that is my hope.

[...]

I DON'T WANT AutoIt to balloon much beyond where it is now.

[...]

I recommend AutoIt to people I work with who are interested in learning to program just because it is not so vast and intimidating as the full-fledged languages and the help does just that.

What I don't understand is why the further development of AutoIT must bring the lack of its simplicity by default.

There is an excellent job being done here by adding more and more functions/features from version to version. v3 versus v2 was revolutionary because of the simpler code structure. The next stable version will be revolutionary mostly because of the GUI interface. Maybe within the next versions we'll see some compact autobuilder tools, sockets support, more GUI functions, interactivity with the web and whatsoever.

I want to dream of those.

I have already mentioned elsewhere that AutoIT was the first programming/scripting language having learned ever seriously (I remember that I never liked GW and Quick Basic in DOS back in 1991-93 because although they were easy-to-learn, they were very limited and they had no compilers...).

Ok AutoIT is a simple but powerful language and we all love it because we feel very productive as programmers with it in our hands. However what I mostly like to see in AutoIT, is becoming an even more powerful language with many more useful functions (as I already mentioned above) while maintaining its simple structure... I believe that this is possible.

Edited by erebus

I voted yes.

I'm not a programmer; I'm a systems administrator. I've played with VBscript, Javascript, HTML, a little Visual Basic.

With AutoIT I was able to start creating programs that DID things. Nothing particularly earth-shaking, but they actually did useful things. I wrote a script that denies the user the ability to play Solitaire. I did it in about 10 minutes. Just a function that WinWaitActives , WinKills, then calls itself again for next time.

After about fifteen more minutes of poking around the help files, I had made a companion script that wrote it to the registry so it would start up on bootup. (We have an inveterate Solitaire player here.) Then a (closely guarded) removal script.

I could've done the same thing in VB or possibly tested the waters of C++. I realize that. But I couldn't have cranked the thing out in half an hour, not at the programming level I'm currently at.

The syntax is easy enough to grasp; looking at Java code often makes my brain hurt. Am I bashing Java? No; it's got its strengths. But AutoIt is easy to comprehend for a person who knows computers but is new to programming.

If I were the Grand High Muckety-Muck of AutoIt (which I'm not), I would shoot for matching VBScript as a useful language; a goal which AutoIT is well on its way to accomplishing. After that, Visual Basic itself. An easy to learn language IS a necessary thing for new programmers, and there is no reason at all that this ground needs to be ceded to Microsoft. Visual Basic's primary reason for existing (other than to make $$ for Microsoft) is twofold: it's easy for newbies to learn, and it is easy to crank out apps that talk to databases.

VBScript is the same way, without the GUI aspects. VBscript can do quite a bit (which is why it's popular among virus writers; it's pretty powerful for a scripting language.)

There will always be C++. AutoIT won't kill it. LISP, Perl, all of them are still going to be around. But Auto IT could, conceivably, be a strong competitor to Visual Basic. So: in the top ten? Sure. I could see it.

Guest Py7|-|[]/\/

Are you a system admin for a linux company? Do you watch shell accounts? If so, then you have 2 choices =)

1) Give me a shell account and don't monitor it!

or

2) Stop watching other people's files!

PS: I just got kicked off my shell account... For *Broswing*.

/\/' date='Nov 8 2004, 07:58 PM']

Are you a system admin for a linux company? Do you watch shell accounts? If so, then you have 2 choices =)

Fraid not. I'm sort of a travelling sysadmin, I work with a lot of nonprofits, most of whom run M$ or Novell. I've always wanted to get to know Linux better. One of these days!

(Yes, I know, Linux is free so nonprofits should try it, but MS has cut neatly into this market by giving away charity licenses to nonprofits dirt cheap.)

PS: I just got kicked off my shell account... For *Broswing*.

Sorry to hear that.

• 1 month later...

I voted yes. 

I'm not a programmer; I'm a systems administrator.  I've played with VBscript, Javascript, HTML, a little Visual Basic. 

With AutoIT I was able to start creating programs that DID things.  Nothing particularly earth-shaking, but they actually did useful things.  I wrote a script that denies the user the ability to play Solitaire.  I did it in about 10 minutes.  Just a function that  WinWaitActives , WinKills, then calls itself again for next time. 

After about fifteen more minutes of poking around the help files, I had made a companion script that wrote it to the registry so it would start up on bootup.  (We have an inveterate Solitaire player here.)  Then a (closely guarded) removal script. 

I could've done the same thing in VB or possibly tested the waters of C++.  I realize that.  But I couldn't have cranked the thing out in half an hour, not at the programming level I'm currently at.

The syntax is easy enough to grasp; looking at Java code often makes my brain hurt.  Am I bashing Java?  No; it's got its strengths.  But AutoIt is easy to comprehend for a person who knows computers but is new to programming. 

If I were the Grand High Muckety-Muck of AutoIt (which I'm not), I would shoot for matching VBScript as a useful language; a goal which AutoIT is well on its way to accomplishing.  After that, Visual Basic itself.  An easy to learn language IS a necessary thing for new programmers, and there is no reason at all that this ground needs to be ceded to Microsoft.  Visual Basic's primary reason for existing (other than to make $$ for Microsoft) is twofold:  it's easy for newbies to learn, and it is easy to crank out apps that talk to databases. 

VBScript is the same way, without the GUI aspects.  VBscript can do quite a bit (which is why it's popular among virus writers; it's pretty powerful for a scripting language.) 

There will always be C++.  AutoIT won't kill it.  LISP, Perl, all of them are still going to be around.  But Auto IT could, conceivably, be a strong competitor to Visual Basic.  So: in the top ten?  Sure.  I could see it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I vote Yes as well. I also agree with the above 100%.

A lot of people are not programmers, but are average to power users and get into AutoIt because they need to DO a computer task that usually requires programming. If you dont know programming than the next best thing is AUTOMATION. Such people focus is not arbitrarily studying computer languages, studying computer languages as a hobby, or being proficient an a computer language, but getting difficult computer tasks accomplished. In a way, you can also think of automation as being a higher level language and much more understandable than many of the popular script languages like VBScript, Perl, Jscript, etc

Once this type of user starts getting familiar with using automation programs to create scripts than usually 2 things happen:

1. They start to get more interested and involved with programming/scripting.

2. They get more interested in the automation program they are using; like AutoIT or Winbatch for example.

From there many begin to make more complicated and powerful scripts.

This then creates the following situation:

3. Is the automation/scripting language powerful and creative enough to do what the user wants?

4. The user has become used to or proficient in that particular automation/scripting language and does NOT know other computer languages to extend the capabilities of his only and favorite computer language.

From there many such users would like the automation/scripting language they DO know to be more powerful, so they can perform more complex and creative tasks. Furthermore, like in the case of AutoIT or WinBatch, the user may fall in love with its syntax and WAY of doing things and dislike the complexity, syntax, or methods used in OTHER computer languages.

This all then leads to, How does AutoIT satisfy those that want increased functionality and specialized features versus those that want it to be simple and lite? The solution??? That is whole other debate that I will leave out from here.

**I'd like to see AutoIT kick the butt of Visual Basic (VBA & VBscript included) and WinBatch (& WebBatch included).**

I would also like to see AutoIT become as powerful as VBScript, VB, and VBA (waiting for COMawesome) and WinBatch (if that happens I and many others will be truly happy and blessed beyond belief... Thank the lord for Jon and his helpers!!!). Because, like many others, I like the practical, simple, common sense methods and ways in which AutoIT tackles difficult computer tasks, in addition to its automation capabilities. I dont see AutoIT replacing C++ or many other low level languages, but I DO see (I hope) AutoIT becoming much more powerful and being a short cut and EASIER way to do things in comparison to C++ and others. AutoIT GUI manipulation abilities, combined with VB-like power should make it a runaway favorite on the Windows platform (and Linux again, one day???) in the future. Arguably, Power AutoIT could do more for easy to use, but powerful programming than programs like VBscript, all kinds of Basic language variations, Java, Jscript, Perl, etc were SUPPOSE to do (but often didnt).

Thanks to Jon and all of his helpers that keep improving AutoIT.

Edited by autoitNOW
An ADVOCATE for AutoIT

I think it will, but be more of a lower level programming language, with all the features of MANY coding languages. C++ is very powerful and you can do just about anything with it, but autoit is so much more COOL!!!!

Thank you Jon and all the other developers for creating a programming language so unique that I dont have to code in C++ unless I WANT TO!!!

:Yay:

Agent Smith

P.S. Voted bet my life and the universe!

Guest Guidosoft

They should make a programing language called um....

AutoIt. See, this is just AutoItScript. But if jon adds, oop, and types, and stuff. We can have automaticly have a fully fledged programing language.

All we need to add functionality is #Include and DLLCall DLLOpen DLLClose.

Like, C++, I think, has no function whatsoever. But it's the include files that call the dlls witch give it power yea yea. Or suttin like that. I think.

• 1 year later...

I just saw i was the only who voted for "ABSOLUTLY NO CHANCE AT ALL WHATSOEVER!".

AutoIt is missing POWER, POWER and more POWER! It's fast and easy to create, but it has fundamental flaws in it's design. Don't get me wrong, I love AutoIt to do everything, but it won't be one of the big ones. It lacks the power, libraries (this is a matter of time however) and sometimes the control.

However, if a compiler is created that converts the code directly into a machinecode, or very close to it. It will be one of the biggest.. But i don't believe it will, so "No chance whatsoever!"

Edited by Manadar

• Moderators

why was this post bumped up from Dec 28 2004, 04:24 PM

?

2 1/2 year brain fart?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

hmmm, what is "A Full Fledged Language", let me think, ok, I thought for too long , my head hurts, in 0.5 sec. I've arrived to the conclution that it preaty much it already is a "A Full Fledged Language" , you can run an EXE file so its more than just SCRIPT, and it has no such limitation that your imagination can not solve, I've even seen www pages saying "coded with debug",

so,

we've got a nice IDE to work from and debug ( and that is a luxury, no one had that back in the 198x ) you can compile the source and run it, thats it. ...and we are in WindowZ, its all API, so, no more "IBM BIOS" interrupt calls, so, for the way nibbles stack nowdays, autoit is my choice

PS: ...to add the ability to run "in line" ASM in autoit is not dificult, but, I dont think is the idea, and for the idea, autoit as is, is ideal. Plus, who here knows that much ASM ?, calling DLLs is hard enught for us non-developers :D

PS2: I am not a programmer, just my 2 cents and by now I'm overdrawn :wacko:

Edited by argumentum

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

Bet my life and the universe. Perhaps it isn't as powerful as C++ or the others out there, but at least you don't have to take 50 lines just to get a GUI window open (my personal C++ horror story).

For all the things I've been able to do with it, I don't see a reason for it not to be as popular as the other languages out there. Granted, it doesn't seem to be compatible with Macs, but then, I don't like Macs, nor does really any other Windows program run on Mac.

So if for some reason AutoIt doesn't get to the top with C++ and VB, then, well, no more universe. :D

Just four more cents from the local AutoIt nerd.