Need help with tailing

Hey all,

I'm trying to understand how this thing works:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...mp;#entry225490

What I need to accomplish is to tail a continuously updating log file and import the lines into my script for analysis.

I've tried just including the ReadTail3.au3 into my script, and that brings up a open-file dialoge box where I can choose my file. So far so good. I choose my file, but now what? Obviously there has too be some command somewhere to let me check for new lines, and if so, let me save them to an array or variable so I can analyze them. There is just a bit too much here for me to absorb all at once.

It seems like its writing out the new lines with something called concolewrite, which from what I can gather is some sort of standardized output for communication. There is also a concoleread command, but I tried this and it didnt really seem to do much of anything.

Could someone give me a tiny sample script on how to do this, and make for example the new lines pop up in a message box? I should be able to mod it to do what I need from there :whistle: Right now im just too confused hehe :P

-Stigma

Hi,

i don't have time right now;

You may want to look at another thread which doesn't use the fast tail read, but does show how to detect file changes, I believe, and uses a slower read; perhaps you could modify it and show how!?

Tail gone craze, File-Based Chat ApplicationBest, randall

Thanks. Il check it out tonight. I ws kinda hoping to be able to use the fast tail read for efficiency's sake though.

Maybye someone else has a few minutes to kill to show an example. If not I'l just have to to give ti my best and see if I can work something out :whistle:

-Stigma