AutoIt vs Inno Setup

Inno Setup is focused on creating an installer for another application, meaning, copying files where you want them, registering the application with Windows correctly, providing a uninstall function.

AutoIt is fundamentally different. While in theory you could create an installer with AutoIt, as it's a general purpose programming language, I wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you're doing. Your question is on par with comparing Inno Setup with Visual Basic, C++, or Java.

That said, AutoIt is good at automating things, which was it's original purpose. For example, you could probably automate clicking Next, etc., in an Inno Setup setup module. You can also run executables, move windows, read window contents and do things with the applications you already have using AutoIt. You can also create full blown applications with AutoIt, if you are so inclined, but mostly what people create are little utilities that help bridge the gap between what they personally need, and what Microsoft and other software developers managed to produce.

[font="Fixedsys"][list][*]All of my AutoIt Example Scripts[*]http://saneasylum.com[/list][/font]

Thanks! I felt that Inno Setup was not suited to what I wanted to do. However others here had insisted that it had been used to do the things I need to do, so I had a skewed perspective starting out, but the more I tried to put eh square peg in the round hole the more it hurt. Thanks for helping me pull my head out into the sunshine.

jh

Inno Setup mainly creates Setup and Uninstallation executables. It "compresses" files that the setup must install, so that's its main purpose. AutoIt is much different, instead of creating "Install.exe" or "Setup.exe" you get to create "MyProgram.exe", if you know what I mean. Inno Setup can be of great use for a program, that's why the combination of that and AutoIt is great.

Kurt

Awaiting Diablo III..

Inno Setup is focused on creating an installer for another application, meaning, copying files where you want them, registering the application with Windows correctly, providing a uninstall function.

AutoIt is fundamentally different. While in theory you could create an installer with AutoIt, as it's a general purpose programming language, I wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you're doing. Your question is on par with comparing Inno Setup with Visual Basic, C++, or Java.

That said, AutoIt is good at automating things, which was it's original purpose. For example, you could probably automate clicking Next, etc., in an Inno Setup setup module. You can also run executables, move windows, read window contents and do things with the applications you already have using AutoIt. You can also create full blown applications with AutoIt, if you are so inclined, but mostly what people create are little utilities that help bridge the gap between what they personally need, and what Microsoft and other software developers managed to produce.

Well said.

Although AutoIt has a FilInstall() Function it is not in any sense of the word an installer.

Application installers have to do much more than just install a file to a particular location and perhaps write a couple of registry keys.

Inno Setup along with it's pre-processor is ideal as an actual installer and it uses very simple scripting.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"