newbie needs help

Hi,

I'm complete new to AutoIT, but think it could be helpful to a particular problem I have.

I run a microscope, that loads it samples automatically onto the stage, then focuses, takes an image and loads the next sample.

Occasionally, it can't focus and the microscope software comes up with an error message, requiring user intervention. It is this need for user intervention, that I'd like to get rid off. Pressing some button in the error message window at this point simply continues with the remaining samples, which I'd like the AutoIT script to do. I'm just not sure how exactly to go about this.

I was thinking about running the script parallel to the microscope software and checking e.g. every 5 minutes, if the error message window is present. If it is, the script clicks the 'continue' button and keeps monitoring until I shut it down.

So the script could look something like this:

[Create GUI with 'Close' button, that allows to shut down the script]

Do

[ErrorMessageExists]=false

If [ErrorMessageExists]= true Then [ClickSomeButton]

Else [wait for 5 minutes]

EndIf

Until

[i press the 'Close' button]

Is that a reasonable way to go about it (I don't have much experience in scripting)? Some of the stuff in square brackets I can probably figure out, but having looked only briefly at the documentation, I didn't find a way to poll for the existence of a window and didn't find a way put this 5 min delay in.

A little help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - p

Hi,

I'm complete new to AutoIT, but think it could be helpful to a particular problem I have.

I run a microscope, that loads it samples automatically onto the stage, then focuses, takes an image and loads the next sample.

Occasionally, it can't focus and the microscope software comes up with an error message, requiring user intervention. It is this need for user intervention, that I'd like to get rid off. Pressing some button in the error message window at this point simply continues with the remaining samples, which I'd like the AutoIT script to do. I'm just not sure how exactly to go about this.

I was thinking about running the script parallel to the microscope software and checking e.g. every 5 minutes, if the error message window is present. If it is, the script clicks the 'continue' button and keeps monitoring until I shut it down.

So the script could look something like this:

[Create GUI with 'Close' button, that allows to shut down the script]

Do

[ErrorMessageExists]=false

If [ErrorMessageExists]= true Then [ClickSomeButton]

Else [wait for 5 minutes]

EndIf

Until

[i press the 'Close' button]

Is that a reasonable way to go about it (I don't have much experience in scripting)? Some of the stuff in square brackets I can probably figure out, but having looked only briefly at the documentation, I didn't find a way to poll for the existence of a window and didn't find a way put this 5 min delay in.

A little help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - p

Welcome to the forum. Your approach is indeed logical. Start by looking at the following AutoIt functions in the help file:

WinExists

WinActive

WinActivate

GUIGetMsg

ControlSend

Also use the AutoIt info tool to determine the control type (probably just an ordinary button) and ID that you need to use. If you get stuck, feel free to post you code and we'll do what we can to help you out.

Auto3Lib: A library of over 1200 functions for AutoIt

Use the "AutoIt Window Info" tool to get/copy/paste the window title and text mentioned below.

[start > Programs > AutoIt v3 > AutoIt Window Info]

Replace $title = "title" with the window title of the error message.

Replace $text = "text" with some window text of the error message.

Then run the script below:

AutoItSetOption("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)
AutoItSetOption("TrayIconDebug", 1)

HotKeySet("{ESC}", "Terminate")

$title = "title"
$text = "text"

While 1
    TrayTip("Microscope Script", "Press Esc to Exit", 100)
    If WinExists($title, $text) Then
        WinActivate($title, $text)
        WinWaitActive($title, $text)
        Send("{ENTER}")
    EndIf
    Sleep(200)
WEnd

Func Terminate()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>Terminate
The script assumes that you want to send "ENTER" to the error message - you can change that to handle the error message as needed and to load the next sample all within the If/EndIf area.

Take a look at the Control functions if you want something more reliable than "Send".

...hope this helps...

Edit: Welcome to the forum.

Edited by herewasplato

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]