arraysort help

Ok, This might not make any sence, but I need to sort a 2D array, The first dimension will be sorted like normal and the second dimension will mirror how the first dimension was sorted e.g. the index number changes, but the second dimension cannot be sorted by contents, I need them to be in sync with eachother. thanks

heres basically what i was trying to do, i dont want it to sort the second one because it screws up everything because of the blank lines it doesn't have to be 2D, i'd be happy if was 1D. too

#include <array.au3>

Dim $arTest[10][2]

$arTest[0][0] = 'Hi'
$arTest[1][0] = 'Hello'
$arTest[2][0] = 'Howdy'
$arTest[3][0] = 'How''s it going?'
$arTest[4][0] = 'How''s the weather?'
$arTest[5][0] = 'What''s up'
$arTest[6][0] = 'How are you'
$arTest[7][0] = 'Hi there'
$arTest[8][0] = 'Yo'
$arTest[9][0] = 'Top-o the mornin''n to you'

$arTest[0][1] = 'Goodbye'
$arTest[1][1] = 'Later'
$arTest[2][1] = ''
$arTest[3][1] = 'Good riddence'
$arTest[4][1] = ''
$arTest[5][1] = 'See ya'
$arTest[6][1] = 'Bye Bye
$arTest[7][1] = ''
$arTest[8][1] = ''
$arTest[9][1] = ''

_ArrayDisplay2D($arTest, "unsorted")

_ArraySort_2ary($arTest)

_ArrayDisplay2D($arTest, "sorted - both dimensions")
oÝ÷ ÚÚºÚ"µÍÚ[ÛYH  Ø^K]LÉÝÂ[H  ÌÍØÝVÌLK   ÌÍØÝÌLBÌÍØÝVÌHH   ÌÎNÒIÌÎNÂÌÍØÝVÌWHH   ÌÎNÒ[ÉÌÎNÂÌÍØÝVÌHH  ÌÎNÒÝÙIÌÎNÂÌÍØÝVÌ×HH  ÌÎNÒÝÉÌÎNÉÌÎNÜÈ]ÛÚ[ÏÉÌÎNÂÌÍØÝVÍHH   ÌÎNÒÝÉÌÎNÉÌÎNÜÈHÙX]ÉÌÎNÂÌÍØÝVÍWHH ÌÎNÕÚ]  ÌÎNÉÌÎNÜÈ    ÌÎNÂÌÍØÝVÍHH    ÌÎNÒÝÈH[ÝIÌÎNÂÌÍØÝVÍ×HH  ÌÎNÒHIÌÎNÂÌÍØÝVÎHH   ÌÎNÖ[ÉÌÎNÂÌÍØÝVÎWHH ÌÎNÕÜ[ÈH[Ü[ÌÎNÉÌÎNÛÈ[ÝIÌÎNÂÌÍØÝÌHH    ÌÎNÑÛÛÙYIÌÎNÂÌÍØÝÌWHH ÌÎNÓ]ÌÎNÂÌÍØÝÌHH ÌÎNÉÌÎNÂÌÍØÝÌ×HH    ÌÎNÑÛÛÙY[ÙIÌÎNÂÌÍØÝÍHH   ÌÎNÉÌÎNÂÌÍØÝÍWHH ÌÎNÔÙYHXIÌÎNÂÌÍØÝÍHH    ÌÎNÐYHYIÌÎNÂÌÍØÝÍ×HH    ÌÎNÉÌÎNÂÌÍØÝÎHH  ÌÎNÉÌÎNÂÌÍØÝÎWHH ÌÎNÉÌÎNÂÐ^QÜ^J  ÌÍØÝK   ][ÝÝ[ÛÜY    ][ÝÊBÐ^TÛÜ
    ÌÍØÝJBÐ^QÜ^J  ÌÍØÝK   ][ÝÜÛÜY ][ÝÊB
Edited by mrRevoked
Don't bother, It's inside your monitor!------GUISetOnEvent should behave more like HotKeySet()

• Developers

Ok, This might not make any sence, but I need to sort a 2D array, The first dimension will be sorted like normal and the second dimension will mirror how the first dimension was sorted e.g. the index number changes, but the second dimension cannot be sorted by contents, I need them to be in sync with eachother. thanks

heres basically what i was trying to do, i dont want it to sort the second one because it screws up everything because of the blank lines it doesn't have to be 2D, i'd be happy if was 1D. too

Maybe I am not understanding it but what is wrong with the 2 separate Arrays ?

Or do you want :

_ArrayDisplay($arTest, "unsorted")

_ArraySort($arTest,0,0,0,2)

_ArrayDisplay($arTest, "unsorted")

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Okay, my english is not the best...

maybe this may help you help me a little bit more :)

I need them to be sorted but also in sync with eachother..

#include <array.au3>
Dim $str
Dim $arTest1[10] = ['1+1','5+10','blank','Whats the color of the sky','blank','5+5','0', _
                'blank is','blank','ABCD?']
Dim $arTest2[10] = ['2','15','','Blue','','10','0','','','EFGH..']

;notice how they are in sync with eachother, but out of alphabetical order
for $x = 0 To 9
    $str &= $arTest1[$x] &' = '& $arTest2[$x] & @CRLF
Next
MsgBox(0,'Unsorted',$str)

_ArraySort($arTest1)
_ArraySort($arTest2)

$str = ''
;Now they are sorted but out of sync with eachother.
for $x = 0 To 9
    $str &= $arTest1[$x] &' = '& $arTest2[$x] & @CRLF
Next
MsgBox(0,'Sorted',$str)
Edited by mrRevoked
Don't bother, It's inside your monitor!------GUISetOnEvent should behave more like HotKeySet()

• Developers

Okay, my english is not the best...

maybe this may help you help me a little bit more :D

I need them to be sorted but also in sync with eachother..

Did you see my EDIT on the previous post ?

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

What the heck is up with _ArraySort() from array.au3?

I thought a 2D array made more sense for this topic, so I coded it as a demo:

#include <array.au3>

Dim $avTest1[5] = ['1+1', '5+10', 'blank', 'Whats the color of the sky', 'blank']
Dim $avTest2[5] = ['2', '15', '', 'Blue', '']

Dim $avTest[UBound($avTest1)][2]
For $a = 0 To UBound($avTest) - 1
    $avTest[$a][0] = $avTest1[$a]
    $avTest[$a][1] = $avTest2[$a]
Next

_ArrayDisplay2D($avTest, "Before")
_ArraySort($avTest, 0, 0, 0, 2) ; <--- tweaked per JdeB
_ArrayDisplay2D($avTest, "After")

Func _ArrayDisplay2D($avInput, $sTitle = "")
    Local $x, $y, $sResult = ""
    For $x = 0 To UBound($avInput, 1) - 1
        For $y = 0 To UBound($avInput, 2) - 1
            $sResult &= "[" & $x & "][" & $y & "] = " & $avInput[$x][$y] & @CRLF
        Next
        $sResult &= @CRLF
    Next
    MsgBox(0, $sTitle, $sResult)
EndFunc   ;==>_ArrayDisplay2D

But it gets an error and fails on the _ArraySort():

C:\PROGRA~1\AutoIt3\Include\array.au3 (664) : ==> Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.: 
$t = $array[$i] 
$t = ^ ERROR
->15:55:48 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:1

The help files for the 3.2.3 series of betas and the various 3.2.4 prods recently (last try was with 3.2.4.4) ALL say:

Remarks

This sort functions can handle 1 or 2 dimension arrays.

Waah! Whine, moan, groan, whimper, complain, etc... :D

Edit: OK, JdeB's tweak to the _ArraySort() parameters fixed it. But the whining remains, because that is a completely unnecessary parameter. The function should be able to figure that out with Ubound($avInput, 0) and then Ubound($avInput, 2).

Phhhhbbbbbsst! :)

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

What the heck is up with _ArraySort() from array.au3?

I thought a 2D array made more sense for this topic, so I coded it as a demo:

The help files for the 3.2.3 series of betas and the various 3.2.4 prods recently (last try was with 3.2.4.4) ALL say:

Waah! Whine, moan, groan, whimper, complain, etc... :)

hmm.. thats no fun. Edited by mrRevoked

• Developers

Edit: OK, JdeB's tweak to the _ArraySort() parameters fixed it. But the whining remains, because that is a completely unnecessary parameter. The function should be able to figure that out with Ubound($avInput, 0) and then Ubound($avInput, 2).

Phhhhbbbbbsst! :D

True, BUT:

As always there is a history for this...

once upon a time , a long time ago, the Ubound() command wasn't capable of determining the number of dimension, thus it had to be specified.

Now how to change trhis without breaking many scripts?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

So umm.... to clarify... what you want to do is sort the first array, moving the second array's parts around exactly the same, right?

So if the indexes of the first array 1,2,3,4,5 end up as 1,4,2,3,5 after, you want the second array's indexes 1,2,3,4,5 to be reordered to 1,4,2,3,5 to match the first array.

My UDFs: ExitCodes

So umm.... to clarify... what you want to do is sort the first array, moving the second array's parts around exactly the same, right?

So if the indexes of the first array 1,2,3,4,5 end up as 1,4,2,3,5 after, you want the second array's indexes 1,2,3,4,5 to be reordered to 1,4,2,3,5 to match the first array.

...which is done automatically if you just assemble them into a 2D array first. That's what lead me to the demo script in post #5.

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

True, BUT:

As always there is a history for this...

once upon a time , a long time ago, the Ubound() command wasn't capable of determining the number of dimension, thus it had to be specified.

Now how to change trhis without breaking many scripts?

I see what you mean. But if the updated _ArraySort() UDF just ignores that parameter, and uses Ubound() internally instead, that wouldn't break anything in legacy scripts would it? An then that sort of a 2D array would have worked as just:

_ArraySort($arTest)oÝ÷ Øpy©vl®¶²+)¬¶)í¡©À®¶²+)¬·Ú,0«H槵«­¢+Ø¥¹±Õ±ÐíÉÉä¹ÔÌÐì()¥´ÀÌØíÙQÍÐÅlÕtôlÌäìĬÄÌäì°ÌäìÄÀ´ÔÌäì°Ìäí±¹¬Ìäì°Ìäí]¡ÑÌÑ¡½±½È½Ñ¡Í­äÌäì°Ìäí±¹¬Ìäít)¥´ÀÌØíÙQÍÐÅMÕlÄÁtôlÌäíµÑ Ìäì°Ìäí¥Ñ¥½¸Ìäì°ÌäíµÑ Ìäì°ÌäíÍÕÑÉÑ¥½¸Ìäì°Ìäí9Ìäì°Ìäí9Ìäì°ÌäíÅÕ¥èÌäì°Ìäí½±½ÉÌÌäì°Ìäí9Ìäì°Ìäí9Ìäít)¥´ÀÌØíÙQÍÐÉlÕtôlÌäìÈÌäì°ÌäìÔÌäì°ÌäìÌäì°Ìäí  ±ÕÌäì°ÌäìÌäít)¥´ÀÌØíÙQÍÐÉMÕlÄÁtôlÌäí¹ÕµÈÌäì°ÌäíÙ¸Ìäì°Ìäí¹ÕµÈÌäì°Ìäí½Ìäì°Ìäí9Ìäì°Ìäí9Ìäì°ÌäíݽÉÌäì°Ìäí½±½ÈÌäì°Ìäí9Ìäì°Ìäí9Ìäít()¥´ÀÌØíÙQÍÑmU   ½Õ¹ ÀÌØíÙQÍÐĤulÉulÍt)½ÈÀÌØíôÀQ¼U    ½Õ¹ ÀÌØíÙQÍФ´Ä($ìÅÕÍÑ¥½¸¹¥ÐÌäíÌÁɽÁÉÑ¥Ì($ÀÌØíÙQÍÑlÀÌØíulÁulÁtôÀÌØíÙQÍÐÅlÀÌØít($ÀÌØíÙQÍÑlÀÌØíulÁulÅtôÀÌØíÙQÍÐÅMÕlÀÌØí¨Ét($ÀÌØíÙQÍÑlÀÌØíulÁulÉtôÀÌØíÙQÍÐÅMÕl ÀÌØí¨È¤¬Åt($ì¹ÍÝȹ¥ÐÌäíÌÁɽÁÉÑ¥Ì($ÀÌØíÙQÍÑlÀÌØíulÅulÁtôÀÌØíÙQÍÐÉlÀÌØít($ÀÌØíÙQÍÑlÀÌØíulÅulÅtôÀÌØíÙQÍÐÉMÕlÀÌØí¨Ét($ÀÌØíÙQÍÑlÀÌØíulÅulÉtôÀÌØíÙQÍÐÉMÕl ÀÌØí¨È¤¬Åt)9áÐ()%5Í    ½à ÌȬаÅÕ½Ðí}ÉÉå¥ÍÁ±äÍ ¤µ¼ÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½Ðí¼å½ÔݹÐѼÍÑ¡¥±½½àüÅÕ½Ðì¤ôØQ¡¸(%}ÉÉå¥ÍÁ±äÍ ÀÌØíÙQÍаÅÕ½ÐíIÍÕ±ÑÌÅÕ½Ðì¤)±Í($ÀÌØí¥±ôQµÁ¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½ÐìÀäÈí}ÉÉå¥ÍÁ±ä͹ÑáÐÅÕ½Ðì($ÀÌØí¡¥±ô¥±=Á¸ ÀÌØí¥±°È¤(%¥±]É¥Ñ ÀÌØí¡¥±°}ÉÉå¥ÍÁ±äÍ ÀÌØíÙQÍаÅÕ½ÐìÅÕ½Ðì°Ä¤¤(%¥±
±½Í ÀÌØí¡¥±¤(%IÕ¸ Ìäí¹½ÑÁ¹áÅÕ½ÐìÌäìµÀìÀÌØí¥±µÀìÌäìÅÕ½ÐìÌäì¤)¹%((ì´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´(ìչѥ½¸}ÉÉå¥ÍÁ±äÍ ¤(ì%IÑÕɹÌÑ¡½ÉµÑѽ¹Ñ¹Ñ̽Űɰ½ÈÍÉÉä̵ձѥ±¥¹ÍÑÉ¥¹°(ì$%¹¥ÀÌØí±ôÀ¡Õ±Ð¤¥ÍÁ±åÌÑ¡ÍÑÉ¥¹¥¸¥±½½à¸(ì%
±°Ý¥Ñ è}ÉÉå¥ÍÁ±äÍ¡  åIÀÌØíÙÉÉäl°ÀÌØíÍQ¥Ñ±l°ÀÌØí±ut¤(ì$%Ý¡Éè$ÀÌØíÙÉÉä¥ÌÑ¡ÉÉäѼ¥ÍÁ±å¡Ý¥±°¹½Ðµ½¥¥¤(ì$$$$ÀÌØíÍQ¥Ñ±¥Ìѥѱ½ÈÑ¡¥±½½à°Õ±Ð¥ÌÅÕ½ÐìÅÕ½Ðì(ì$$$$ÀÌØí±ô$À¡Õ±Ð¤ÉÑÕɸÍÑÉ¥¹¹¥ÍÁ±ä¥±½½à(ì$$$$$$ÄÍÕÁÉÍÍÌ¥ÍÁ±å¥¹¥±½½à°½¹±äÉÑÕɹÌÍÑÉ¥¹(ì%=¸ÍÕÍÌÉÑÕɹÌÍÑÉ¥¹½½ÉµÑÑÉÉ佹ѹÑ̸(ì%=¸¥±ÕÉ°ÉÑÕɹÌÀ¹ÍÑÌÉɽÈ(ì´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´)Õ¹}ÉÉå¥ÍÁ±äÍ¡    åIÀÌØíÙ%¹ÁÕаÀÌØíÍQ¥Ñ±ôÅÕ½ÐìÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØí±ôÀ¤(%1½°ÀÌØíà°ÀÌØíä°ÀÌØíè°ÀÌØíÍIÍÕ±ÐôÅÕ½ÐìÅÕ½Ðì(%%9½Ð%ÍÉÉä ÀÌØíÙ%¹ÁÕФQ¡¸IÑÕɸMÑÉÉ½È Ä°À°À¤($(%1½°ÀÌØí¥µÌôU    ½Õ¹ ÀÌØíÙ%¹ÁÕаÀ¤(%%ÀÌØí¥µÌÐìÌQ¡¸IÑÕɸMÑÉÉ½È È°À°À¤($(%MÝ¥Ñ ÀÌØí¥µÌ($%
ÍÄ($$%½ÈÀÌØíàôÀQ¼U  ½Õ¹ ÀÌØíÙ%¹ÁÕаĤ´Ä($$$$ÀÌØíÍIÍձеÀìôÅÕ½ÐílÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØíàµÀìÅÕ½ÐítôÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØíÙ%¹ÁÕÑlÅtµÀì
I1($$%9áÐ($%
ÍÈ($$%½ÈÀÌØíàôÀQ¼U  ½Õ¹ ÀÌØíÙ%¹ÁÕаĤ´Ä($$$%½ÈÀÌØíäôÀQ¼U ½Õ¹ ÀÌØíÙ%¹ÁÕаȤ´Ä($$$$$ÀÌØíÍIÍձеÀìôÅÕ½ÐílÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØíàµÀìÅÕ½ÐíulÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØíäµÀìÅÕ½ÐítôÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØíÙ%¹ÁÕÑlÀÌØíáulÀÌØíåtµÀì
I1($$$%9áÐ($$$$ÀÌØíÍIÍձеÀìô
I1($$%9áÐ($%
ÍÌ($$%½ÈÀÌØíàôÀQ¼U  ½Õ¹ ÀÌØíÙ%¹ÁÕаĤ´Ä($$$%½ÈÀÌØíäôÀQ¼U ½Õ¹ ÀÌØíÙ%¹ÁÕаȤ´Ä($$$$%½ÈÀÌØíèôÀQ¼U    ½Õ¹ ÀÌØíÙ%¹ÁÕа̤´Ä($$$$$$ÀÌØíÍIÍձеÀìôÅÕ½ÐílÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØíàµÀìÅÕ½ÐíulÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØíäµÀìÅÕ½ÐíulÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØíèµÀìÅÕ½ÐítôÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØíÙ%¹ÁÕÑlÀÌØíáulÀÌØíåulÀÌØíétµÀì
I1($$$$%9áÐ($$$%9áÐ($$$$ÀÌØíÍIÍձеÀìô
I1($$%9áÐ(%¹MÝ¥Ñ (%%9½ÐÀÌØí±Q¡¸5Í   ½à À°ÀÌØíÍQ¥Ñ±°ÀÌØíÍIÍձФ(%IÑÕɸÀÌØíÍIÍÕ±Ð)¹Õ¹ìôôÐí}ÉÉå¥ÍÁ±äÍ

:D

Edit: Tweaked demo to show suppression of dialog box (string only).

Edited by PsaltyDS

• Developers

I see what you mean. But if the updated _ArraySort() UDF just ignores that parameter, and uses Ubound() internally instead, that wouldn't break anything in legacy scripts would it? An then that sort of a 2D array would have worked as just:

_ArraySort($arTest)
I know and been planning to do so ... its just something i need to get done...

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.