saveing script problems

ok i have not eaver had this problem but it seems that when im trying to save my scripts its not leting me save in .au3 format....I have opend scripts that i have maid and work fine but now when i try to go back into save as it saves it as some text file i have serched options and uninstald reinstald au3 and scite and still it willl not save as an .au3 file please help

ok i have not eaver had this problem but it seems that when im trying to save my scripts its not leting me save in .au3 format....I have opend scripts that i have maid and work fine but now when i try to go back into save as it saves it as some text file i have serched options and uninstald reinstald au3 and scite and still it willl not save as an .au3 file please help

1. Check the versions of AutoIt and SciTE that you are "uninstald reinstald" are current.

2. From SciTE, select Options/Open Global Options File, then look at the setting for:

default.file.ext=.au3

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

got that in there line 101-default.file.ext=.au3

and its still doing same thing it saves it as an unknown file not as .au3

1. Check the versions of AutoIt and SciTE that you are "uninstald reinstald" are current.

2. From SciTE, select Options/Open Global Options File, then look at the setting for:

default.file.ext=.au3

got that in there line 101-default.file.ext=.au3

and its still doing same thing it saves it as an unknown file not as .au3

Hmm... by "unknown file", do you mean how it's identified in Windows Explorer, or is that what SciTE is calling it? Does the file actually have an .au3 extension (which may be hidden by certain settings in Explorer)?

Open Windows Explorer in any folder, select Tools/Folder Options, select the File Types Tab. Scroll down the list and find the entry for AU3 = "AutoIt v3 Script" and select that. There are two things that could point to, if correctly configured, based on the selection you made to "Run script" or "Edit script" during AutoIt and SciTE installation. On my systems, I always use "Edit Script", and therefore my .au3 file type opens with SciTE. If you selected "Run script" at install, it should say "Opens with AuotIt v3 Script".

If you click on the Advanced button in that display, you will see the right-click context menu for the file type. The one in bold is the default. On mine it's "Edit Script", it might be "Run Script" on yours. For either one, select it and click on Edit.

The line for "Edit Script" should be something like:

"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\SciTE.exe" "%1"

The line for "Run Script" looks like:

C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\AutoIt3.exe "%1" %*

If the line for "Run Script" points to ...\AutoIt3\Beta\AutoIt3.exe... then either ensure you have a valid Beta version installed also, or delete that portion of the line so it points to the Production version of AutoIt (which is more recent that Beta currently anyway).

All of these GUI settings are in the registry, but this is a good way to start checking them.

Let us know what you find.

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Well I have looked at all the information that you informed of and it is set to edit script at start.

I am useing au3 v3.2.4.9. and scite v1.73.

i have no problems editing any of the scripts i have maid in past days, and when i hit ctr+s for save it saves it as the same script name it was and same file ext .au3. but now when i go to save as and just change one letter or number in the field for file name it saves it as some unknown file, not as an .au3..

now on to this unknown file type well i can open it up with scite but it opens as all black text, eavn scripts i know are good working scripts. if i change name and save it well it goes to the all black text and not working script. there is no file extnsion on this file.

If u need more information lt me know

If you go back in windows explorer, or from the commandline, and change the file name to include the .au3 extension - does that make the script work correctly? And files that have a proper .au3 extension are correctly handled by windows?

(Test and post results.)

If so, the only question remaining is why SciTE is saving script files without an extension. There are multiple config files for SciTE, and they are applied in a hierarchy:

1. Global Options File - we looked at earlier. Global setting that apply to everything unless overridden by...

2. User Options File - settings for your username that override the Globals, and are overridden by...

3. Directory Options File - setting for applied to all the files in a directory (should mean - part of the same project). These override User options and are overridden by...

4. Local Options File - applies only to a single script file. Peculiar settings for that script that override all others, except...

5. Command Line Options - command line options passed to SciTE will override all the settings above.

There is a good chance that, if you haven't poked around much, the ONLY config file you actually have in use is the Global. We already checked that, so you might try opening the others in SciTE Options to make sure they are empty, or at least don't have bad settings in them.

Edited by PsaltyDS

• Developers

If you go back in windows explorer, or from the commandline, and change the file name to include the .au3 extension - does that make the script work correctly? And files that have a proper .au3 extension are correctly handled by windows?

(Test and post results.)

If so, the only question remaining is why SciTE is saving script files without an extension. There are multiple config files for SciTE, and they are applied in a hierarchy:

1. Global Options File - we looked at earlier. Global setting that apply to everything unless overridden by...

2. User Options File - settings for your username that override the Globals, and are overridden by...

3. Directory Options File - setting for applied to all the files in a directory (should mean - part of the same project). These override User options and are overridden by...

4. Local Options File - applies only to a single script file. Peculiar settings for that script that override all others, except...

5. Command Line Options - command line options passed to SciTE will override all the settings above.

There is a good chance that, if you haven't poked around much, the ONLY config file you actually have in use is the Global. We already checked that, so you might try opening the others in SciTE Options to make sure they are empty, or at least don't have bad settings in them.

Just for completeness: Between 1. and 2. the Lexer.properties is loaded and applied. :)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

ok well when i went in exlore and manuly changed the file to .au3 it went to au3 file config so that works that way but it still will not save it as an .au3..

but this did atleast give me what i need temporarly because i have a project due in the next 2 days and au3 was the only thing holding me up to ty ty ty ty ty vm. and hopefuly we can narow it down once im done with this project. ty again

xxfxx