Read chat in World of Warcraft

OCR.

Argh, I tried to figure that OCR thing out for hours now with the diablo 2 example script... still don't understand how it works :S

Maybe it's possible to capture a screenshot of the last line of the chat box, then check if little images like A, B, C, D etc. match a part of the screenshot? If picture A matches with a part of the screenshot, then the first letter is A... then check the second letter?

Argh, I tried to figure that OCR thing out for hours now with the diablo 2 example script... still don't understand how it works :S

Maybe it's possible to capture a screenshot of the last line of the chat box, then check if little images like A, B, C, D etc. match a part of the screenshot? If picture A matches with a part of the screenshot, then the first letter is A... then check the second letter?

:whistle: That's about right, Tom. Although you don't have to make a screen shot first.

You should figure out where the letters are exactly, x and y screen coordinates. Then you have to find out how far the letters are apart, and make sure that every letter has it's own space. So 2 letters can't be on the same vertical line of pixels...

You then should continue by making a function that can create a PixelChecksum of one character, and then create checksum's for each character. Once you have that, you can make a new checksum of a unknown character and compare that to your database of checksums.

:whistle: That's about right, Tom. Although you don't have to make a screen shot first.

You should figure out where the letters are exactly, x and y screen coordinates. Then you have to find out how far the letters are apart, and make sure that every letter has it's own space. So 2 letters can't be on the same vertical line of pixels...

You then should continue by making a function that can create a PixelChecksum of one character, and then create checksum's for each character. Once you have that, you can make a new checksum of a unknown character and compare that to your database of checksums.

Hmm, but how is that possible since each letter has a different space between an other letter or digit?

see my picture:

Posted Image

For example between the [ and .

Edited by tom13

Hmm, but how is that possible since each letter has a different space between an other letter or digit?

see my picture:

Posted Image

For example between the [ and .

You could use PixelSearch on one column of pixels to find where a character starts and where a character ends. Then do a pixelchecksum on that one single character.

Could you upload a full screen size picture, at maximum quality. So each pixel is maintained.

Edited by Manadar

You could use PixelSearch on one column of pixels to find where a character starts and where a character ends. Then do a pixelchecksum on that one single character.

Could you upload a full screen size picture, at maximum quality. So each pixel is maintained.

The only problem is that sometimes GM's will send you a whisper that may take up more than one line. You would have to have a couple of places to check because sometimes they just say, "Greetings, this is GM such and such, do you have a spare moment?" Other times they will RP with you and say, "From the depths of hell, a fiery burst of lava streaks into your sight, a fiery plumed object plummets towards you leaving an acrid smoke trail, a large crash appears before you spitting earth and debris everywhere, a gnome rises from the ruins, clears his throat and says, "Greetings, this is GM such and such..."

Edited by vazheel

Roger, sir.

Posted Image

Had to censor names and characters though.

Edited by tom13

Ok, looks doable. I am going to lead the way, and try to whip out a working example. It is up to you to finalize my example, by adding more features and functions. Also provide a good database, that is able to capture all the characters in stead of the ones you provided.

I may need some more screenshots, including green blue and other colors of text. Full screen, please.

The results of your work and efforts will be interesting indeed. I just wonder if trying to decipher the text in this manner will be too slow for game play. Reading data packets seems like a good idea and also writing you own mod to ouput the chat text and combat text to a file or db my be an option.

... and all this for getting some Medals? or Honor points?

I see your try as a form of disrespect toward other players.

Anyway ... the work you have to to to get this working will be your punishment - fair enough!

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

The only problem is that sometimes GM's will send you a whisper that may take up more than one line. You would have to have a couple of places to check because sometimes they just say, "Greetings, this is GM such and such, do you have a spare moment?" Other times they will RP with you and say, "From the depths of hell, a fiery burst of lava streaks into your sight, a fiery plumed object plummets towards you leaving an acrid smoke trail, a large crash appears before you spitting earth and debris everywhere, a gnome rises from the ruins, clears his throat and says, "Greetings, this is GM such and such..."

lol Nice little bit of imagination there. favorite part: "a gnome rises from the ruins"

But yes, I too looked for some guides on what OCR is and how it works and how I can manipulate it to my needs. But failed. Doesn't bother me though there are more things that are easier to learn that I must better understand first.

The results of your work and efforts will be interesting indeed. I just wonder if trying to decipher the text in this manner will be too slow for game play. Reading data packets seems like a good idea and also writing you own mod to ouput the chat text and combat text to a file or db my be an option.

It is probably better to output the chat text to a file anyway. The reading will be fast enough for game play, I can ensure that.

Your method is just a whole lot easier!