neoSearch 1.86

KJohn

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for offtop but how are you handling with indexing soo FAST? I have tried to make tool similiar to yours, and indexing of 3500 files takes about 8-10 sec. You are using some performance boosters algoritms ? ;)

In my favour, I spent around 2 years + working on desktop search engines (on and off of course but many many many hours nevertheless). 8 to 10 seconds is not bad - I started off with close to 30-45 seconds and refined it over time.

I've a couple of tips:

- decide carefully which locations to index - for eg: do not index the recycle bin or the contents of the Windows folder (most users don't search there - this single tip can make the biggest difference).

- decide which file types to index - exclude files of types you are sure users are unlikely to search for.

- check the need for every single line of code and remove ones that are absolutely not necessary - this will take experimenting but it is very exciting to watch the results of your work.

- use the latest version of autoit - the team occasionally makes performance improvements to the autoit engine.

It is the repeated experimentation and refinement that makes it possible for me to achieve the excellent performance I do.

If you are interested in pursuing this with more of an academic interest, you can send me parts of your source which you feel you can improve upon and I'll give you specific tips. Your source will be kept confidential if you do chose to share it.

• 1 month later...

Hi, very nice job Koshy John!

I have, unfortunately, come across a lot of people who've rampantly copied other ppl's work and changed stuff here and there and pass it off as their own. I'll probably release the source or portions of it when I'm done working on it. Pardon my paranoia till then.

Well that's shame.

But If you ever do release your source code, I'm pretty sure a lot of us will respect your hard work.

Cheers.

Don't bother, It's inside your monitor!------GUISetOnEvent should behave more like HotKeySet()

• 1 month later...

New features

1. Option for slower background indexing (low processor usage for file servers and single core machines).

2. Option to auto-close tray icon when main window is closed.

3. Total number of filetypes supported increased to 50.

4. New high clarity icon set (39).

5. Number of dynamic results increased to six.

6. Support for album art for mp3 and wma files from folder image.

7. New smoother drawing algorithm for dynamic results.

Fixed

1. Inaccuracy in results display caused by mismatch in indexing and searching algorithms.

2. Update check.

Removed

1. All voice features (finally).

Please check if the update has any errors because I'm working on introducing a major new feature and I don't want to build on a shaky foundation. Thanks!

New features

1. Option for slower background indexing (low processor usage for file servers and single core machines).

2. Option to auto-close tray icon when main window is closed.

3. Total number of filetypes supported increased to 50.

4. New high clarity icon set (39).

5. Number of dynamic results increased to six.

6. Support for album art for mp3 and wma files from folder image.

7. New smoother drawing algorithm for dynamic results.

Fixed

1. Inaccuracy in results display caused by mismatch in indexing and searching algorithms.

2. Update check.

Removed

1. All voice features (finally).

Please check if the update has any errors because I'm working on introducing a major new feature and I don't want to build on a shaky foundation. Thanks!

It works good for me, but I dont search often.. I know where all my files are :)

code

*NEW* - Super-navigation

Here a quick and dirty documentation of the feature: This has been added to allow you to launch ANY file or program (it need not be any of the 50 supported file-types taken for indexing; and coming to that, indexing is not required for this to work!). You launch this by typing this the drive letter of any drive on your system. Eg: C:. Once you enter the trailing back-slash (C:\) - the first 6 files/folders in C: get listed. You can use wildcards (? or *) (and letters, obviously!) to narrow down the results.

Pressing enter causes the full path of the top most result to be updated into the input box. This saves time by not having to type in the full path.

This feature actually qualifies to be an entire application on it's own. So even if you don't need a desktop search engine, this is something that is worth a spin IMO.

@Dexter - this feature would be especially useful to you since you know where your files are already. :)

Edited by Koshy John

*NEW* - Super-navigation

Here a quick and dirty documentation of the feature: This has been added to allow you to launch ANY file or program (it need not be any of the 50 supported file-types taken for indexing; and coming to that, indexing is not required for this to work!). You launch this by typing this the drive letter of any drive on your system. Eg: C:. Once you enter the trailing back-slash (C:\) - the first 6 files/folders in C: get listed. You can use wildcards (? or *) (and letters, obviously!) to narrow down the results.

Pressing enter causes the full path of the top most result to be updated into the input box. This saves time by not having to type in the full path.

This feature actually qualifies to be an entire application on it's own. So even if you don't need a desktop search engine, this is something that is worth a spin IMO.

@Dexter - this feature would be especially useful to you since you know where your files are already. :)

:)

Cool update

code

• 3 weeks later...

Version 1.86

New Features

1. Full Unicode support with a completely revamped indexing algorithm that is much faster (just when you thought I had hit the limit).

2. New indexing interface with better progress feedback. Linear progress without a lot of variations in speed.

3. Completely transparent background indexing (if selected).

Nice work Koshy, this is one heck of a program :o

Thanks... I never get tired of trying to improve it...

Off topic, ur a Jeff Dunham fan too? The dead terrorist is hilarious...

Benok's Hosting sounds good, but I'm gonna stick with GoDaddy for now :) .. Have you tried combining hosting with a personalized web development package for businesses in your area? You'll make more money and get better publicity in the process too...

Very nice job :)

this neo search Project not supporting Search in paths Arabian ( Folders or Files )

This is neo search Project used MS DOS to search to folders and files

Ms dos not supported Arabic Lang

and thanks >

Thanks for the feedback!

For the record, neoSearch does not use MS-DOS or any other external program for indexing or searching. It's true that MS-DOS does not support unicode characters though.

I know neoSearch works with Chinese/Japanese - a user sent me files named in those languages for me to test with.

If you are willing to send me files that have Arabic characters in their names, it may help me troubleshoot the problem. I am guessing that it may have something to do with the fact that Arabic reads from right to left but let me check.

Thanks for the feedback!

For the record, neoSearch does not use MS-DOS or any other external program for indexing or searching. It's true that MS-DOS does not support unicode characters though.

I know neoSearch works with Chinese/Japanese - a user sent me files named in those languages for me to test with.

If you are willing to send me files that have Arabic characters in their names, it may help me troubleshoot the problem. I am guessing that it may have something to do with the fact that Arabic reads from right to left but let me check.

it would be awesome if you can get a bunch of languages compatible with it.
code

it would be awesome if you can get a bunch of languages compatible with it.

The idea behind getting full unicode compatibility was just that but I guess there are a few hiccups with some exotic languages. If there's anyone on the forum running on other foreign languages, please try this out and tell me if it works like expected.

Syria = سوريا

Damascus = دمشق

Arabic = عربي

Quick = سريع

List = قائمة

Group = مجموعة

New = جديد

News الأخبار

Add = إضافة

Edit = تحرير

View = عرض

Close = إغلاق

Exit = خروج

I'll work with these and get back to you. Unfortunately, I'll be abroad over the next week and only 2009 may see a solution to this...

• 2 years later...

I would like to be able to use a hotkey that I can assign to dismiss the gui. At the moment it stays on the screen after you have finished your search and you have to use the mouse and click the X (top right). Ideally I would like to be able to set it somewhere in options so that it dismisses itself after each search.