Newbie defeated by Combobox

DJM

Completely new to scripting. Am trying to write a script to transfer multiple fields from a browser(IE) based database, to a different database GUI. I can do most of it with multiple tabs, ^c, and ^v. There is this one field that has me stumped. It's a dropdown box (combobox, I have learned), that already has an item selected. I want to lift that value, and paste it into a corresponding field in the other database. Copy and paste with either keyboard or mouse fails. I wrote the following using Notepad to test the output.

CODE
WinWait("Detailed Internal Referral - Microsoft Internet Explorer","")

If Not WinActive("Detailed Internal Referral - Microsoft Internet Explorer","") Then WinActivate("Detailed Internal Referral - Microsoft Internet Explorer","")

WinWaitActive("Detailed Internal Referral - Microsoft Internet Explorer","")

$gen = ControlCommand("Detailed Internal Referral - Microsoft Internet Explorer", "", "Internet Explorer_TridentCmboBx13", "GetCurrentSelection", "")

ClipPut($gen)

Run("notepad.exe")

WinWaitActive("Untitled - Notepad")

Send("^v")

This fails, pasting "0" into Notepad. I tried ControlGetText, and it also failed. I used ClassnameNN, because the control ID of the box changes when opening new referrals on the browser.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

DJM