MsgBox() - Without The Ding.

I know this is old but I ran across the same issue.

All that is needed for a silent MsgBox without an icon is to combine all the icon style flags.

16+32+48+64+96 = 160

MsgBox(160,"Title","Text") displays the Title, Text, an OK button, no icon, and plays no sound.

No registry hacks or changing system sound setting preferences are needed.

These are pretty obvious, but in case you didn't know, all the flags will play sounds based on the settings in Control panel Sounds -> Program Events.

MsgBox(0,"Title","Text") displays the Title, Text, an OK button, no icon, and plays the Default Beep sound.

MsgBox(16,"Title","Text") displays the Title, Text, an OK button, a Stop-sign icon, and plays the Critical Stop sound.

MsgBox(32,"Title","Text") displays the Title, Text, an OK button, a Question-mark icon, and plays the Question sound.

MsgBox(48,"Title","Text") displays the Title, Text, an OK button, a Exclamation-point icon, and plays the Exclamation sound.

MsgBox(64,"Title","Text") displays the Title, Text, an OK button, a Information-sign icon, and plays the Asterisk sound.

Welcome to the forum.

Nice find, but (and you knew that there would be a but) 160 can make a sound if the user has assigned a sound the "Close Program" in XP.

So in the exceptional case that the user assigned a sound to such an event, they deserve to hear it.

Myself I disabled all system sounds (and the PC speaker backup) because I bought a sound card so I could listen to music or movies, not so the operating system could cirp, bing, or pop. Or go "Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooo" when I move the mouse over ads.

So in the exceptional case that the user assigned a sound to such an event, they deserve to hear it.

Myself I disabled all system sounds (and the PC speaker backup) because I bought a sound card so I could listen to music or movies, not so the operating system could cirp, bing, or pop. Or go "Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooo" when I move the mouse over ads.

Sadly, it is not too exceptional among the youngins that I work with.

One guy has a Simpsons' scheme & close widow = Nelson's Laugh

Once, I got so tired of hearing it that I admined into his services and stopped Windows Audio.

I too have a "no sound" scheme and I've disabled Beep via Device Manager. Laptop beeps can be loud!

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Sadly, it is not too exceptional among the youngins that I work with.

One guy has a Simpsons' scheme & close widow = Nelson's Laugh

Once, I got so tired of hearing it that I admined into his services and stopped Windows Audio.

I too have a "no sound" scheme and I've disabled Beep via Device Manager. Laptop beeps can be loud!

At first when I got Windows 95 I thought it was cool that it could make noises when I maximized or minimized Windows. Then I realized it was just annoying. Particularly as computers moved towards being media devices.

I agree with you on the Laptop beeps. My HP seems to blast the speakers full volume. I have a desktop with a ridiculously loud PC speaker. I've been meaning to solder a resistor in.

I prefer to keep the PC speaker active so I don't disable the driver, but the following registry entries will keep Windows from beeping the PC speaker when there's no sound scheme:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound]
"Beep"="No"
"ExtendedSounds"="No"

I run this as part of a script when I setup new installations. Other tweaks including disabling cleanup wizard nag screens, switching to classic search (no dog), no tour, disable autorun, disable Sticky keys, add EULA accept for sysinternals tools, etc.