Multithreading / Process Control

LOL !! I has an application that performs time consuming tasks. Basicalls it controls Installers, copies files and so on. The entire thing with a GUI, a start button and a process bar. In simple terms the app runs a bunch of UDFs upon click on the start button:

perform_task_a()

perform_task_b()

perform_task_c()

Now i want to build in a "Cancel" button. This would have to interrupt the current task (and continue with the next task! exiting the app will not suffice.). How to achive that?

Yes yes yes i know http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33373 :

Multi-threading: It's too late to do this now. The changes required to AutoIt are too great. AutoIt was never intended to be multi-threaded. Writing a multi-threaded application requires an entirely different mindset when writing a program. We did not start with that mindset and trying to retrofit something as significant as multi-threading onto the existing code base is not worth the time or effort. It would be far more beneficial to re-write AutoIt and add in multi-threading that way. That, however, is not planned and is a massive undertaking.

So what are the options?

- Respawn a paramterized version of the app - like myapp.exe /perform_task a - kill the process if needed

- Use a frontend written in a different language, use its multithreading capabilities

- Use an AutoIt Feature (which one would that be?)

What would you do????????????????????????????ßßßßßßßßß

Any comments and ideas welcome, even if you don't have a solution, your opinion / experience might still help sorting out false positives!