Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StoneCut

Create Global Key Commands ?

3 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Hi there,

I'm very new to AutoIT and was surprised how far I got with my utility in just one night. Excellent stuff, many thanks for it ! I've run into a brickwall with my project for now, unfortunately. Hopefully someone can help.

I made a GUI for a mix of applications that control and display status of a connected device. The GUI launches an SDL application which is a graphical display window and it also launches another command-line application at the same time. The command-line application acts as a remote control for the graphical display window (i can use arrow keys to navigate etc) and as transmitter/receiver for the data to the device. My problem is that I am hiding the command-line remote control window to make things pretty and the graphical SDL app or my GUI will usually have focus instead. The command-line application needs to have focus to accept the keystrokes, however.

So, how can I send keystrokes to the hidden command-line window so that my actual remote control will still work ? Also, I have a "fullscreen" mode for the SDL application and I was wondering how to the same thing in fullscreen since I can't give focus to the command-line window then, either, since I fear I'd be kicked out of fullscreen again, right ?

I'm sorry if these are really noobish questions but I didn't know how to phrase them any other way. Any help is greatly appreciated !

Edited by StoneCut

Hi there,

I'm very new to AutoIT and was surprised how far I got with my utility in just one night. Excellent stuff, many thanks for it ! I've run into a brickwall with my project for now, unfortunately. Hopefully someone can help.

I made a GUI for a mix of applications that control and display status of a connected device. The GUI launches an SDL application which is a graphical display window and it also launches another command-line application at the same time. The command-line application acts as a remote control for the graphical display window (i can use arrow keys to navigate etc) and as transmitter/receiver for the data to the device. My problem is that I am hiding the command-line remote control window to make things pretty and the graphical SDL app or my GUI will usually have focus instead. The command-line application needs to have focus to accept the keystrokes, however.

So, how can I send keystrokes to the hidden command-line window so that my actual remote control will still work ? Also, I have a "fullscreen" mode for the SDL application and I was wondering how to the same thing in fullscreen since I can't give focus to the command-line window then, either, since I fear I'd be kicked out of fullscreen again, right ?

I'm sorry if these are really noobish questions but I didn't know how to phrase them any other way. Any help is greatly appreciated !

It's hard to tell if 'command-line' means an actual CMD.exe shell to you. If so, you should be able to try adding the $STDIN_CHILD parameter to the Run() line and use StdInWrite().

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

It's hard to tell if 'command-line' means an actual CMD.exe shell to you. If so, you should be able to try adding the $STDIN_CHILD parameter to the Run() line and use StdInWrite().

:)

Well, no :P Sorry. Many thanks for your reply, however !

It's about a non-gui cygwin ("dos") app called usbhostfs.exe that needs to get the keypresses passed. However, I have another SDL app called remotejoy.exe which can be run full-screen at the same time. I can maybe see a solution by creating some *global* keyboard shortcuts, then using WinActive to activate the usbhostfs.exe window on demand, "send" a key there and then unactivate it again.

Sort of like this:

WinActivate ("C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\StoneCut\Desktop\RemoteJoySDL\PC\usbhostfs_pc.exe")
Send ("s")
WinActivate ("remotejoy.exe")

My issue, however, is that when I do this the SDL app remotejoy.exe looses focus and the screen collapses. Would I still be able to use "StdInWrite()" somehow ? Also, can you give me a quick pointer on how to set up system-wide Hotkeys for my project ?

Once I got all that finished I'll need to figure out how to pass Joystick input to usbhostfs.exe, too, but that is not of very great priority right now.