Notepad tutorial problems.

I did a bit of searching before posting and didn't find anything relevant to *my* situation so, here goes.

CODE
Run("notepad.exe")

WinActive("Untitled - Notepad")

Send("Hello, Michael. How are you today?")

WinClose("Untitled - Notepad")

;WinWaitActive("Notepad", "&Save")

WinWaitActive("Notepad")

Send("!n")

Specifically, I cannot use WinWaitActive with &Save as text, because on my installation of Windows XP SP2, I get only &Yes, &No, or Cancel as alternative text. That is why I just default to "Notepad." Anyway...

The code above appears to execute just fine, but then my keyboard is toast. Everything I touch (as in keys) appears to do something odd. Actually, not odd at all... it simulates the CTRL key and I cannot "unstick" it. So after running the above code, if I hit ESC for example, my Start menu pops open (CTRL+ESC is the same as hitting the Windows key). If I hit the "d" key it inserts the current date into the editor I'm using. And so on and so on...

So what is going on and how can I fix my keyboard after running the above? I've thought of a couple other things to try, but didn't feel like rebooting my computer right this moment so I went on to other things that needed fixing.

"ControlSetText or ControlSend might solve your problem"

Thanks. That affirms what I thought might solve the problem. I'll try it at next boot (here in 5 minutes) and post back.

I think your keyboard layout is messed up.

How exactly? Specifically, what makes you think it is screwed and what might fix it?

I installed/enabled Unicode support for Asian languages about a year ago and haven't actually had any problems stem from this until AutoIt. Could this be the culprit and if so, again, how might I solve it?

Thanks for the quick replies!

Edited by fowmow

Welcome to the forum.

We may need to change that tutorial to something like this:

Run("notepad.exe")
WinWaitActive("Untitled - Notepad")
Send("This is some text.")
WinClose("Untitled - Notepad")
WinWaitActive("Notepad")
Send("!n")

In your first post you have:

Run("notepad.exe")

WinActive("Untitled - Notepad")

Send("Hello, Michael. How are you today?")

I can only hope that this is a typo and not what you attempted to run. The "WinActive line" of code is not what you want for the second line. If it is a typo, remember to copy/paste code to the forum to show us exactly what is running.

If the code in your original post (OP) is what you ran, then some - if not all - of the text in the "Send line" of code could have been sent to some other window or the desktop before notepad appeared. I have no clue why your Ctrl keys seems to be stuck down since this script does not use that key, but I have had scripts do this and the work around is to repeatly press the Ctrl and/or Alt key after the script exits. [if I could find a script that causes this to always happen, I would report the issue in the forum.]

Welcome again,

-MSP-

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you.

I can only hope that this is a typo and not what you attempted to run. The "WinActive line" of code is not what you want for the second line. If it is a typo, remember to copy/paste code to the forum to show us exactly what is running.

Oh dear, it seems as I went back and forth from creating a syntax and auto-complete file for EditPlus (my editor of choice) I accidentally used WinActive instead of WinWaitActive.

That solved the problem in itself!

If the code in your original post (OP) is what you ran, then some - if not all - of the text in the "Send line" of code could have been sent to some other window or the desktop before notepad appeared. I have no clue why your Ctrl keys seems to be stuck down since this script does not use that key, but I have had scripts do this and the work around is to repeatly press the Ctrl and/or Alt key after the script exits. [if I could find a script that causes this to always happen, I would report the issue in the forum.]

Noted for the future... juse in case. :)

Many thanks for the assistance and the welcome, herewasplato.