Sign in to follow this  
cojms1

Timeout for RegRead

cojms1

Hi,

I have a script that is reading the remote registry of a server.

Initially a ping check is carried out to test that the server is up. However, in some situations a ping may be blocked but the remote registry reads would still work.

I have a server which is currently offline, when I attempt to read the registry the script hangs and does not appear to timeout.

Is there any suggestions on how I can get round this?

Is there some kind of timeout setting that I can apply to the RegRead function?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sunaj

Hi cojms1,

An idea would be to execute a subscript that contains the regread function from your mainscript. That way you can time the subscript (via a while loop if the script is to be run sequentially) and be sure that the main script doesn't quit functioning :)

Sunaj

Hi,

I have a script that is reading the remote registry of a server.

Initially a ping check is carried out to test that the server is up. However, in some situations a ping may be blocked but the remote registry reads would still work.

I have a server which is currently offline, when I attempt to read the registry the script hangs and does not appear to timeout.

Is there any suggestions on how I can get round this?

Is there some kind of timeout setting that I can apply to the RegRead function?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cojms1

Hi cojms1,

An idea would be to execute a subscript that contains the regread function from your mainscript. That way you can time the subscript (via a while loop if the script is to be run sequentially) and be sure that the main script doesn't quit functioning :)

Sunaj

Thanks Sunaj. This is the route that I have started going down now. I'm using a temporary file to return error codes and results.