Brainstorm question with Word - inserting text into pre-defined locations

Hi, I have an idea that I would like to code but I have little clue on how to get it started.

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some pointers on which functions to look at.

I looked through the word UDF but not able to find anything that remotely relate to it.

What I want to do is to insert certain texts (either phrases, word, or even paragraphs) into predefined bookmarks within a word document file.

Most likely I will use strings for such insertions.

But I don't know how to point to the destination of the bookmarks.

The purpose of this is to write reports that usually have lots of positions/content change relatively depending on the context.

So none of the pages / position within a page stay fixed.

I thought that having bookmarks would be able to define the relative insertion position better than define fixed insertion points.

Does anyone have any idea on how to achieve that or some other routes that might achieve the same thing?

Thanks in advance, any feedback will help greatly.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I can help you with this, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is your trying to accomplish. Could you post an example document and describe in more detail your goal?

Hi big_daddy, I have a very similar issue. I coud't see at word udf any functions that you could use to write text, give attributes like bold, italic, styles, or copy/paste parts of text and so on. In resume, to manipulate text, that is what we normally do with word.

For example, my specific problem is to do an Au3 program that based on queries, user's selections and answers goes creating documents. For that, it shoud copy parts from word previously edited pieces of text, also inserting text that user types, and so on. And also, being able to apply styles, bolds, etc. to some of these text.

Do you have any suggestion?

Jose

• Moderators

I do understand the need for these abilities in the library, and you'll be glad to know I already have several of them in the works. I will go into more detail and probably ask for some input on the design of these type functions in the word.au3 topic.

Thanks,

Bob

... and you'll be glad to know I already have several of them in the works. I will go into more detail and probably ask for some input on the design of these type functions in the word.au3 topic.

Ok Bob, when time comes, let me know and I will try to suggest something

Jose

• 2 weeks later...