PC Speedup *V.1.05* (Only tested on Windows XP, NEED VISTA TESTER)

ashley

A few things i would like to know!  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like PC Speedup?

• Yes, its very good!
    • Yes, its good!
    • Its ok!
    • No i dont like it!
  2. 2. Should i carry on with PC Speedup and make it better?

• Yes!
    • No!

My msconfig is in E dirve...LEARN TO USE MARCO and stop giving HARD CODED DIRECTORY..plus, i still need my program later so it wouldn't make much of a difference. By the way uncheck anit-virus and start it manually later is even better than unchecking all the softwares...

I think the chance you get attack by virus is one in millions, Anti-Virus is usually the one that slows down the PC the most.

Yah know, dont take this the wrong way, but at one time I thought that you were a good "teacher". You didnt know that but I did, I saw you as a person that would help anyone to learn and experience new ways to learn AutoIt. I think that Ashley has helped out some people that didnt know anything about speeding up computers, and hasnt done anything for other people. But that is the point, not to convince the people who says its bad that it isnt, but to help more and more people with speeding up their computer.

There was a time when a program like this would have made my day... I understand there are users around today who are where I was about 8 years back; which is why I'm not going to say its not useful... But given my level of experience now, this really doesn't do anything for me... Just my 2 cents... I think you should continue working on this till it starts providing some sort of value for even experienced users...

Here are some registry keys that you'll find useful... Eventually you can bypass 'msconfig' and create a GUI to read these values and display them along with options to manipulate them:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

There are other locations like this, do some research and you'll find them... All the best with this program... And i would suggest renaming the program to something like Startup SpeedUp or something to better reflect the function it performs... If you add more comprehensive functions to the program, you can rename it back then rite... You can check out my recently released code for DiskMax... I'm sure you'll find it useful in your endaevour... Just don't blatantly copy the code...

is that a speedup?????? it just opens an external program and it has some advices... also you can just Run('msconfig.exe') to work on all drivers taking in mind that windows files are in windows variables, try making a more complete program before releasing it, if you are willing to make it way better you can use Run('msconfig.exe', '', @SW_HIDE) and then using ControlListView() to automate unchecking etc. etc.

• 4 months later...

I didn't even finish reading this topic after I seen msconfig being used... msconfig can also be found in ROOT:\Windows\System32 on most XP machines... msconfig is a start-up configuration utility that is INCLUDED with MANY Windows XP variants... This src only takes advantage of that program...

SIGNATURE_0X800007D NOT FOUND

I am running windows vista.

While I was testing the program, I took these notes. I advise you read the notes carefuly...

Testing Startup Manager: Startup manager works fine.

Testing Virus Scan: Works but not very secure.

Testing Download Spyware Search And Destroy: Works just find, but should offer a list of optional anti spyware devices.

Testing Take Me To MSCONFIG: Failed. Msconfig is not located in C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries\msconfig in vista.

File in vista: "C:\Windows\System32\msconfig.exe"

Final notes:

This program is not dangerous in vista but could use a lot of improvements. My advice to you would be to run the following for msconfig:

If @OSVersion = "WIN_VISTA" Then

$path = "C:\Windows\System32\msconfig.exe"

EndIf

If @OSVersion = "WIN_XP" Then

$path = "C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries\msconfig"

EndIf

Run($path)

Use path as your verable to use when your program wants to open msconfig.

Spoiler

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables,What the heck does a humanitarian eat?"

"I hear voices in my head, but I ignore them and continue on killing."

"You have forced me to raise the indifference warning to beige, it's a beige alert people. As with all beige alerts please prepare to think about the possibility of caring."

An optimist says that giving someone power DOESN'T immediately turn them into a sadist. A pessimist says that giving someone power doesn't IMMEDIATELY turn them into a sadist.

So, basically this is a poorly made up program to start Msconfig?

But, before you critic me, let me test it out. :D

Edit:

Now that I have tested most of it's features, its not very good.

It didn't detect my antivirus, Avast.

And, most newbies (Even one's that program), will probably not like having to mess with a program that could be just as fatal as messing up the registry (MsConfig).

Usually everyone knows about Spybot Search and Destroy and the others listed, but it would be nice to give a description of them, maybe even a hovering tooltip.

Edited by JustinReno

I'm sorry but this script is just sad. I could understand if you're totally new to AutoIt but for being a (sort of?) experienced user, and a script like this it's almost hard to believe you don't want to release the source ... something like this really needs help from the AutoIt community to help improve it. I don't mean to sound harsh but it's anoying when people assume someone is going to "steal" their script, and almost always those people make scripts no one wants to steal anyways.

• 4 weeks later...