Help with GUI button function

shea851

To start off, i'm not a programmer, and I basically know enough Autoit to automate tasks like reading colors on the screen and sending keystrokes, which proves very useful with certain games and etc. The GUI portion of Autoit i'm a total newb. But I don't really learn by reading manuals / help guides though, I learn by seeing something used in a script/program.

I'm trying to create a GUI that will allow me to select an input .doc file and then convert it to a .html file. I'm sure this task will prove very difficult for me, but i'm up for a challenge.

The first problem i've run into is that I need to create a button that opens another window where you can choose a file. Now, I know how to make a button close a program or run one or whatever, but as far as opening a new window where you can navigate through the files on your computer... i have no idea the code for that.

Can someone please post a small GUI script that has that feature in it so I can see how it works? If more information is needed I can post a screenshot

Thanks Alek

I actually managed to find a script while I was waiting for a reply here with that exact command and I added the following code to my script, and it works perfectly

If $nMsg = $button Then
        FileOpenDialog("Choose file...",@DesktopCommonDir,"All (*.doc)")
    Else
    EndIf

And now my next task to tackle.. to have it populate a GUICtrlCreateInput with the file that was just selected...

Thanks Alek

I actually managed to find a script while I was waiting for a reply here with that exact command and I added the following code to my script, and it works perfectly

If $nMsg = $button Then
        FileOpenDialog("Choose file...",@DesktopCommonDir,"All (*.doc)")
    Else
    EndIf

And now my next task to tackle.. to have it populate a GUICtrlCreateInput with the file that was just selected...

If $nMsg = $button Then
    $SelectedDoc = FileOpenDialog("Choose file...",@DesktopCommonDir,"All (*.doc)")
Else
EndIf

GUICtrlCreateInput($SelectedDoc,left,top,width,height) ;yada, yada

- MoChr(77)& Chr(97)& Chr(100)& Chr(101)& Chr(32)& Chr(121)& Chr(97)& Chr(32)& Chr(108)& Chr(111)& Chr(111)& Chr(107)-------I've told you 100,000 times not to exaggerate!-------Don't make me hit you with my cigarette hand...-------My scripts:Random Episode Selector, Keyboard MouseMover, CopyPath v2.1, SmartRename for XP,Window Tracer[sup]New![/sup]

I see what you're going at, and it seems like it would work, but it doesn't..

Here is my whole script:

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
#NoTrayIcon
#Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=h:\koda\forms\test.kxf
$Form1_1 = GUICreate("Convert This!", 443, 80, 228, 172)
$Group1 = GUICtrlCreateGroup("Select the .doc you want to convert: ", 0, 0, 441, 57)
$button = GUICtrlCreateButton("...", 400, 24, 25, 17, 0)
GUICtrlCreateInput($SelectedDoc, 8, 24, 385, 21)
GUICtrlCreateGroup("", -99, -99, 1, 1)
$File = GUICtrlCreateMenu("&File")
$Exit = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Exit", $File)
$Help = GUICtrlCreateMenu("&Help")
$About = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("About", $Help)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ###

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
    EndSwitch

If $nMsg = $button Then
    Else
    EndIf 

WEnd

Right now it doesn't work because it's trying to use "$SelectedDoc" which is not declared yet. However if I move "GUICtrlCreateInput($SelectedDoc, 8, 24, 385, 21)" below the GetGuiMsg loop then the script runs, but I can't see my Input box...

Edited by shea851

I see what you're going at, and it seems like it would work, but it doesn't..

Here is my whole script:

#NoTrayIcon
$Group1 = GUICtrlCreateGroup("Select the .doc you want to convert: ", 0, 0, 441, 57)
GUICtrlCreateInput($SelectedDoc, 8, 24, 385, 21)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
    EndSwitch

If $nMsg = $button Then
    Else
    EndIf 

WEnd

Right now it doesn't work because it's trying to use "$SelectedDoc" which is not declared yet. However if I move "GUICtrlCreateInput($SelectedDoc, 8, 24, 385, 21)" below the GetGuiMsg loop then the script runs, but I can't see my Input box...

Here ya go - When you create the input box, it will have a default of a blank field, then the button that triggers the FileOpen will write the selection to the input box:

#NoTrayIcon
$document = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 8, 24, 385, 21)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
    EndSwitch

If $nMsg = $button Then
        GUICtrlSetData($document,$SelectedDoc)
    Else
    EndIf

WEnd

- MoChr(77)& Chr(97)& Chr(100)& Chr(101)& Chr(32)& Chr(121)& Chr(97)& Chr(32)& Chr(108)& Chr(111)& Chr(111)& Chr(107)-------I've told you 100,000 times not to exaggerate!-------Don't make me hit you with my cigarette hand...-------My scripts:Random Episode Selector, Keyboard MouseMover, CopyPath v2.1, SmartRename for XP,Window Tracer[sup]New![/sup]