FileRead binary file

Andre

Hi,

Im trying to read an binary file (.mdb) with FileRead

I want to know if the read file is created with an old or new version of msaccess.

With an texteditor i can see that in the header of an access file is some text like

Standard Jet 4.0 for example

$File = FileOpen($AccessFile,0)

; Check if file opened for reading OK
If $File = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
    Exit    
EndIf

; Read first 159 bytes to see which msaccess version is needed.
$Line = FileRead($File,2048)
If @error <> 0 Then MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")

$Position = StringInStr($Line, "4.0", 1)
MsgBox(4096,"pos",$Position)
FileClose($File)

My $Position is always 0 :)

What is wrong ?

Andre

What about Windows without using AutoIt ?It would be the same as driving a car without an steering Wheel!

Im trying to read an binary file (.mdb) with FileRead

That's the problem. Binary files are not supported as far as I know. If you're using NT4+ you could try using the commands type and find for this (something like RunWait(@ComSpec & ' /c type file.mdb | find "4.0", '', @SW_HIDE)) and check the result.

Hmm,

Thats not what i want. Because the file i want to search through are big network files >= 500 Mb so find is then sloooooowwwwww

Andre

What about Windows without using AutoIt ?It would be the same as driving a car without an steering Wheel!

There's another possibility:

Read the file byte for byte (FileRead will return 0 when it encounters a 0-byte but AutoIt cannot store this 0-byte in its variables).

Try this code:

$String = '4.0'
$searchpos = 1
$stringlength=StringLen($String)
$FD=FileOpen('file.mdb', 0)
For $i = 1 to 2048; only search within first 2048 byte
    $binary = Asc(FileRead($FD, 1))
    if @error then exitloop; end search on eof or error
    if $binary = asc(stringmid($String, $searchpos, 1)) then
        $searchpos = $searchpos + 1; we found one character!
        if $searchpos > $stringlength then
            MsgBox(0, 'Match', 'string found'); we found the complete string
            FileClose($FD)
            exitloop
        endif
        continueloop; part of string found but not all. continue search with next character.
    else
        $searchpos = 1; this is a bug but should work for demonstration. details below
    endif
next

I did not test this code and it has (at least) one bug in it but since it's only for demonstration...

What I'm doing is to read one character from the file, then check if the character matches the first character from the string. If it matches, i compare the second character to the string against the second character I read from the file and after that the third one. Problem is, when I have a file that contains '44.0' and the searchstring is '4.0'. My loop will not find the data since it compares 4=4, 4=. and then makes an error: it doesn't match and then does not go back to compare the second character (4) with the first character of the search string (4) but just continues to compare the next character (.) with the first character from the search string (4) and after that is unable to find a match. If you need a function that does not make this error, use an array to read the data. Then you'll be able to jump back.