Windows Task Scheduler (or alternative)

TJ3

First: Everything you needed to know I stated wayyyy back at the beginning.

Here is an example, it will launch notepad in the desired account one minute after running it, make sure your Task Scheduler service is running and verify the task gets created by clicking Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Tasks

Second: XP Home + Fast User Switching will severly limit what you can do. Fast User Switching is creating a virtual environment, and any gui interaction in an account running in the background won't be possible.

Third: What is it that you are trying to accomplish? Why not just log into that other account and run your script?

First: Everything you needed to know I stated wayyyy back at the beginning.

Second: XP Home + Fast User Switching will severly limit what you can do. Fast User Switching is creating a virtual environment, and any gui interaction in an account running in the background won't be possible.

Third: What is it that you are trying to accomplish? Why not just log into that other account and run your script?

Re: First. Hmm, I will try again. Although your "Second" point means it probably won't happen due to my GUI needs.

Re: Second: thanks for confirming re: the GUI interaction - I thought maybe something could be done to overcome it. I need GUI interation in the background account. I am currently considering running a Virtual Machine to achieve this. Overkill? I can't thing of anything else?

Re: Third: I want one and/or several applications to do their thing in the background - however, the automated scripts that enable this will need GUI interaction to set things up/keep things running. This account is to be generally locked down and secure.

There is another account which is open and usable for normal office/family/"normal" taks. This account will be the active/accessible account.

As I said, I can't thing of anything else but a VM approach - I hope GUI interaction will be possible via that route.

Thanks for all your help, keep it coming if you can think of anything more. I am determined to achieve this one! Thanks!

Edited by TJ3

You are better off always running with limited or non-administrator privileges, and then when you need to do something requiring admin rights launch it with AutoIT RunAsSet() or windows command line runas.

You need to be more specific about why you aren't always running an admin account for yourself. Is this a shared machine? You are currently thinking way outside the scope of what I think you need (Virtual machine???, Client / Server???, not necessary).

You are better off always running with limited or non-administrator privileges, and then when you need to do something requiring admin rights launch it with AutoIT RunAsSet() or windows command line runas.

You need to be more specific about why you aren't always running an admin account for yourself. Is this a shared machine? You are currently thinking way outside the scope of what I think you need (Virtual machine???, Client / Server???, not necessary).

Actually, both accounts have been set up as admin accounts ... (I know that isn't strictly secure - but separate at least until this gets solved)?

The RunAsset command you mention sounds interesting, but wouldn't there still be a problem with the GUI interaction you mentioned earlier?

Yes, it's shared in the sense that I want a closed enviroment for "important" tasks to run in a scheduled manner ... and another enviorment for more general "normal" use. They have to be seperated and secure.

Edited by TJ3

AutoIt RunAsSet() and command line runas will launch the program just like it would if you were logged into the other account. The only difference being that it will have all the rights of the alternate user. You can test this by using either of the 2 methods to launch explorer.exe, upon doing so you will be able to see the user's documents which you would otherwise be denied access to.

AutoIt RunAsSet() and command line runas will launch the program just like it would if you were logged into the other account. The only difference being that it will have all the rights of the alternate user. You can test this by using either of the 2 methods to launch explorer.exe, upon doing so you will be able to see the user's documents which you would otherwise be denied access to.

Will try again when i have time. aving a hard time - might resort to two PC's ... I've done searches and it seems you cannot have to users working actively at the same time, and that's what I need.

Oh well ... you're a star for helping though.

Edited by TJ3