Help with IE functions!

Brickoneer

Hey guys, first of all, ya'll give awesome help. Just thought I'd say that.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there any way to tell if a user navigates to a new page? (the only thing I could come up with is constantly polling the url and checking for differences... not very efficient.)

2. Is there any way to 'read' the inputs of a form on an event (like the submit button being pressed)? (again, the only thing I could come up with is constantly reading the inputs until they are unavailable to read, meaning the page has changed.)

3. If there is no way to read the final inputs of a form, is there any way I can place a 'form' (or something similar) into a webpage and receive the data from that form in autoit for later use? Essentially I'm trying to create an input box or GUI of sorts IN an existing web page... is that possible? I know I can put a form in with the _IEwritehtml functions... I just can't figure out how to get the users input back into autoit.

Hope that made sense!

Thanks so much.

Brick

Edited by Brickoneer

Have you looked at the _IE functions included in IE.au3?

You can have code running in the background to completely rewrite a page if you like as it's being displayed and then capture all the inputs and do whatever you like with them as well as pass it along to the web page, seamlessly.

:)

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache

IE.au3 can help you with this, but what you are wanting to do is not the main focus of the functions.

You'll need to study the ObjEvent function to see how you can register to take actions based on some specific event occuring to an object. Note that what you are wanting to do will be made difficult in AutoIt because ObjEvent does not get event notification synchroneously, but asynchroneously and thus cannot block or cancel processing. What this means is that you can, for example, trap an onsubmit event for a Form object and expect to got out and grab the form element values before they are passed to the server and the page is rebuilt... in reality, your event handler will be notified of the submit, but by the time you hear about it the submit will likely already have been processed and the form will no longer exist.

Javascript on the webpage itself inserts itself into the event flow and can block or cancel processing while it does its task.

You'll really need to be motivated to learn and experiment to make something like this work in AutoIt with that limitation... it can be done, but noone I know of has taken this very far so you would be pretty much on your own.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble