color pickin chooser

corz

Well, I tried it first in color pickin chooser, and when I try to compile, it says .

Error adding File:

.\stuff\tips.txt

And then fails. Do I need to add some other instruction to make this relative path work?

;o)

(or

nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool..

Make sure your directory structure is like so:

[example root folder]

C:\PickerSource\ScriptFile.au3 <-- the file you will compile

C:\PickerSource\Stuff\tips.txt <-- the file you mention above

Although personally I don't use the dot, I normally just do FileInstall('stuff\tips.txt', ...)

Otherwise I'm not sure... you could put all the files in the same folder and then just FileInstall('tips.txt', ...).

Yup, the directory structure is fine; but it refuses to accept a relative path. I'm not keen on putting out the source with the dot if it doesn't "just work", which certainly doesn't on my system.

Do I maybe need something in my registry for this? Other languages often have an include path with ./ in it. I tried adding it (and a couple of variations) to my own registry key for AutoIt includes, but it made no difference.

Saldy, it's not practical to have everything in one folder, because the images, for one, are in sub-folders :/

Thanks for the suggestions, though. All info is good.

At any rate, none of these issues should affect the compiled app, the exe, which is what I'm most concerned about getting right. Folk messing with the source are, well, capable of messing with the source. I have an installer I wrote for something else, but I'd prefer to use FIleInstall, which is real neat functionality, if it would work in Vista.

If someone could shed some light on why the picker images don't get copied over in Vista, that would be really helpful. As would knowing exactly what else is preventing it from working on Vista - I don't have a clue what the issue is, so it's hard to pin down, save going through the entire code (and all includes) line-by-line looking for what might be potential weaknesses. Someone with the source+vista could do probably it in seconds. I'll maybe see if I've got enough spare hardware kicking around to setup a Vista box. Oh the shame!

As far as I know, everything is okay on XP, but I've yet to get firm yay or nae.

;o)

(or

Well, I tried it first in color pickin chooser, and when I try to compile, it says .

Error adding File:

.\stuff\tips.txt

And then fails. Do I need to add some other instruction to make this relative path work?

;o)

(or

Mine compiles fine, no errors and runs.

For the record, in (my version of) the modified code the line that's giving you the error above looks like

; tips setup..
    FileInstall(".\stuff\tips.txt", $cpc_data_parent & "\tips.txt", 0)oÝ÷ ØZ+ªê-w%¹×¬ªê-¶¥w¬$)jëh×6#include <.\include\corz_essentials.au3>

Nothing special added to the registry. The dot says to windows "the current directory": so while it's relative from our point of view, its a "real" path as far as AutoIt is concerned.

By the way, I'm just using XP, but should have Vista access at a machine next week, so I'll try some testing for you then.

As for all the features working, I' don't think I've explored all the options, but I certainly haven't run into any errors yet!

w00h00! Thanks ResNullius!

I dunno why the ./ isn't working on my system. I've very familiar with ./ being the current directory, on web servers, UNIX and Linux boxes, but I rarely see it on windows, except perhaps in playlist files. Does windows really handle this natively? If so, my Windows install must be fecked, because it refuses to work unless I use the full paths. Och well. Until I can figure that out, I'll just leave the full paths + note in the source in for now. Anyways, none of this should effect the executable.

Thanks for your offer of some Vista testing, that would be truly useful.

;o)

(or

w00h00! Thanks ResNullius!

I dunno why the ./ isn't working on my system. I've very familiar with ./ being the current directory, on web servers, UNIX and Linux boxes, but I rarely see it on windows, except perhaps in playlist files. Does windows really handle this natively? If so, my Windows install must be fecked, because it refuses to work unless I use the full paths. Och well. Until I can figure that out, I'll just leave the full paths + note in the source in for now. Anyways, none of this should effect the executable.

Thanks for your offer of some Vista testing, that would be truly useful.

;o)

(or

The ".\" or "./" actually goes back to DOS days. If you were to open a command prompt in your color pickin chooser folder and then type the dos command
dir .\include
you will get the output showing all the files in the include directory. All handled by the OS with no fancy tricks, honest.

thenewkid, without knowing exactly what error you are getting, that would be very difficult to say.

ResNullius, I tried that, and it works fine (well, dir .\stuff) but inside an actual autoit script, it refuses to compile. I wonder if it's because I use AutoIt3Wrapper. Hmm.

Investigations continue..

;o)

(or

Oh MAN! You want a laugh..

Often I overlook really obvious stuff, it's definitely one of my failings; perhaps I pay too much attention to details. Anyway. The reason why the relative path isn't working for *me* is that (lol - this is funny!) color pickin chooser.au3 isn't in the same effin folder as the rest of the stuff - I keep it my includes for working on the clock! :) I swear, I'm not drunk!

I only throw it all together for the source pack that *you* download. In my dev folder, is just a shortcut.

Och well, mystery solved. I guess I can use ..\ and so on, to link it into the clock as an include, like in a real filesystem. Cool.

So... The dot is working fine - I can get on with that swooping now.

Thanks big_daddy and ResNullius for nailing that one into my thick skull. We live and learn, eh.

Uploads will follow.

;o)

(or

Okay, I've cracked the image install bug, and found one in AutoIt..

The bug was a line inside the image install function that was checking for the existence of the image folder, and returning if it didn't find it. The trouble was that it was looking for the wrong folder. *sigh*

About this relative path thing - it's not working for extra icons, as in "#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Icon_Add =.\img\icons\mag.ico". It works fine for the "#AutoIt3Wrapper_Icon" directive, but not the extra icons. Looks very like a bug in the compiler/AutoIt Wrapper.

In fact, for the #AutoIt3Wrapper_Icon setting, I can get off with simply using "img\chooser.ico", which I prefer over this dot business, but again, that doesn't work for #AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Icon_Add; it needs the full "real" path, as in "I:\work\dev\autoit\color pickin chooser\img\icons\grad.ico"

Could someone confirm this?

(with any app, not necessarily color pickin chooser)

;o)

(or

What? No one uses AutoIt Wrapper? Och well, I reported it as a bug, anyway.

And it looks like my color pickin chooser bug is also an AutoIt bug, I've just posted that, too.

Although I'm loathe to involve "real" people in my software endeavours (at least until they are 100% finished) I wasn't prepared to wait much longer and phoned a few mates; a couple of which have Vista installed. Bingo! So I got in some Vista bug-fixing time, in return for free puter performance tweaking.

Firstly, the current release of color picking chooser works 100% in Vista! Picker images, the works. Perfect; so long as you don't use an Aero theme. The issue is with the magnifier updating, but that is a bug with AutoIt and Aero. If you disable your Aero theme (use a classic or standard theme) you will see how the mag is *supposed* to work.

mofle, if that's what you were talking about when you mentioned the slow mag, FUXXAKE! you could said (it takes SECONDS to update with Aero on), you seriously think I would have put out something THAT slow? :)

So all's well (at least, once they fix that bug it will be). If you still have any issues with picker images or anything like that, it will likely be your security settings. Vista security protocols are totally over-the-top. Also you can't drag toolbars into place, and the file selection is screwey, and explorer app menus can't be dragged, and... and.. OH! BABY! Linux downloads are gonna go through the ROOF! ;)

Still on the subject of Vista and security. If you run Vista, consider enabling the Administrator account, renaming it, and using it.

for now..

;o)

(or

• Moderators

What? No one uses AutoIt Wrapper? Och well, I reported it as a bug, anyway.

And it looks like my color pickin chooser bug is also an AutoIt bug, I've just posted that, too.

You might want check your "bug" thread again... I'd love to hear how this is an "AutoIt" bug.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Thanks Josbe, that goes a long way towards my daily warm fuzzy glow quota. Cheers!

I tried to grab your source/zip, but they are 404, these days*. Darn. Any up-to-date links?

Look again, SmOke_N! (arrgh! there's more!)

;o)

(or

* this is why I link to resources on my own site, cuz ye just never know...

Edited by corz

• Moderators

Thanks Josbe, that goes a long way towards my daily warm fuzzy glow quota. Cheers!

I tried to grab your source/zip, but they are 404, these days*. Darn. Any up-to-date links?

Look again, SmOke_N! (arrgh! there's more!)

;o)

(or

* this is why I link to resources on my own site, cuz ye just never know...

Look again at what?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.