Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ktuimala

Stop and Resume File Copy

3 posts in this topic

My company is bringing a new warehouse facility online that we are renting from another company. We are only going to have 6 - 8 managed computer systems on that site, so we aren't going to fork over the cash to have a local DC and FnP server. Instead we are connecting them to our Staten Island data center. Since I won't have any local servers to store install packages, I need to run them over the WAN. Under normal circumstances I would run the package directly off of the shared network location because the FnP would be local to the site. In this case it is not. If I were to launch an install over the WAN it could take hours to complete, and the user might shut their PC down before it is finished.

This leaves me with the idea of caching the files locally to the PC before launching the installer. So, I have two routes to take in this case. One, make a remote server app that can transfer files in pieces over the WAN to a client server that can reassemble the pieces once transfered. This would allow for stopping and resuming of the copied files if there were a network interruption or a computer shutdown or restart. The problem with this is network security. Our NETOPS is very closed minded and paranoid about installing "rouge" apps on their servers.

The second option would be to find a way to use Microsoft's native transfer protocols to pause and resume file transfers. The problem with this is I can't seem to find anything that would work. I have been fishing around MSDN trying to find something in their file management libraries that would work. So far no dice.

Does anyone know how to transfer a file from a remote location with the ability to resume the transfer if it was interrupted without making a server/client application on the remote and client computers? If you know of anything, please let me know. Ideally I would like it to work in AutoIT, but I am open.