Finding control in webpage in firefox

Hello,

I am loading a webpage in Firefox thru AutoIt. that goes well.

It is a Rapidsharepage and I want to select / click the Free button on the page. It is the page you see whenever you follow any www.rapidshare.com link.

You need to scroll the page down a bit before you see the "button".

The Window Info tool doesn't give me info I seem to be able to do something with.

How can I select (in the sense of clicking as I would do manually that button?

I tried to set the mouse on it, then send tabs - did not work for me

I tried to scroll down then use mouse position - did not work for me

I wish I could just find and select that control with the test Free and then click it.

I am new to AutoIt but do have a good understanding of programming. I do want to do it thru just a combination of AutoIt and Firefox buttons however.

Thanks in advance!

You need to view the page in Internet Explorer, and use the IE commands found in the helpfile. AutoIt does NOT support Firefox in the manner you are asking about. (Can it be done in any manner in Firefox?). Nope. Firefox doen't support DOM, so it can not be done. Sorry. I wish it could be. I hate using IE, but for what you want to do, IE is the way to go if you want to do this.

Just to clarify your point Volly, Firefox does in fact support the DOM (it is fully accessible via Javascript on the webpage). What it does not support is external access to the DOM the way that IE does through a COM automation interface.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Just to clarify your point Volly, Firefox does in fact support the DOM (it is fully accessible via Javascript on the webpage). What it does not support is external access to the DOM the way that IE does through a COM automation interface.

Dale

Many thanks for the quick answer, I had that feeling seeing the IE function calls.....

I'd like to figure it out myself as much as possible....where can I find documentation / something to get me started on the IE module for AutoIt (forgive me if I use the wrong term, but I guess you know what I mean)?

What I try to achieve is:

Load a webpage

Find a control in the page that has the text Free

Click that button

Find a certain image in that page and save it.

Process that image externally

Use the result from that processing as an input control

(Basically that input will lead me to another page that allows me to download)

Download a file

Start with teh helpfile and run some of the examples... find a function that looks promising, study it till you get confused, then search the forum for that function... there are lots and lots of examples in the support forum.

Dale

p.s. also, download the free DebugBar in my sig to accelerate learning

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Dale

I stand corrected. Thanks Dale!

:)