unable to execute the external program

Ok, I've written scripts using autoit many times. Although they have been pretty basic scripts, I understand how it works. All I want the latest script I'm writing to do is open up the services.msc in the system 32 folder in xp pro. Here is what I have:

Opt("MouseCoordMode", 0)

Run ("C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.msc")

I keep getting the following "error: Unable to execute the external program"

I can go to the system32 folder and double click on the services.msc and it will open, but the script will not. Any ideas on how to make it open?

Thanks

Oh and by the way I just realized that the .msc will not work with the run command because it is not an .exe, .bat, .com, or .pdf format.  So what command or workaround do I use to run the .msc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Slim, it worked like a charm. I just learned something.

Much appreciated!

• Developers

Another question.  How can you start and stop services using autoit.  I want to be able to start and stop the "Wireless Zero Configuration" at different times.  How do it do that with the script?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

- Or - do an old fashion "Net Start/Stop" command with runwait.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• 2 months later...
Guest lemacks

Thanks Slim, it worked like a charm.  I just learned something.

Much appreciated!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am new to scripting and saw from the posts what the problem is but am unsure how to solve it. I have converted a script using autoit and it should open a windows media player playlist and a photo album. I get an error when the converted script trys to open the playlist (.wpl) file. The script I created works fine. Does anyone know how to get this program to open the playlist? Here is what I have so far:

call "C:\Documents and Settings\mike admin\My Documents\newdvd\test.wpl" | call "d:\Ezphoto\EZPHOTO.EXE"

thanks in advance

mike

• Developers

I am new to scripting and saw from the posts what the problem is but am unsure how to solve it. I have converted a script using autoit and it should open a windows media player playlist and a photo album. I get an error when the converted script trys to open the playlist (.wpl) file. The script I created works fine. Does anyone know how to get this program to open the playlist? Here is what I have so far:

call "C:\Documents and Settings\mike admin\My Documents\newdvd\test.wpl" | call "d:\Ezphoto\EZPHOTO.EXE"

thanks in advance

mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you could try:

Run(@comspec & ' /c Start "C:\Documents and Settings\mike admin\My Documents\newdvd\test.wpl"')

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Guest lemacks

you could try:

Run(@comspec & ' /c Start "C:\Documents and Settings\mike admin\My Documents\newdvd\test.wpl"')

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this opens a cmd window and puts me in the newdvd dir where I can type test.wpl and it works. I tried adding @ehco test.wpl. I think this is a start. I still welcome any other tips and help. thanks JdeB

• Developers

this opens a cmd window and puts me in the newdvd dir where I can type test.wpl and it works. I tried adding @ehco test.wpl. I think this is a start. I still welcome any other tips and help. thanks JdeB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

do you have your program associated with the WPL extension ? (in other words ...when you double click it in windows explorer, does it open with the correct program?)

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Guest lemacks

do you have your program associated with the WPL extension ? (in other words ...when you double click it in windows explorer, does it open with the correct program?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it opens fine. .WPL is a windows media player playlist.

Also, when I try to run a .bat file everything works fine but I can't use sendkeys from dos (as far as I know). This is what brings me to autoit.

I have gtten autoit to en the 2 programs and send desired keys, but 1 problems exists:

1) The window I send keys to is not always on top and I am not sure if I have the usage os @SW_SHOW to bring the right window to the front. could someone check this to make sure it loks good?

Here is what I have so far:

Run("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", "")

Sleep ( 6000 )

WinSetState ("Windows Media Player","",@SW_SHOW)

send("!f")

sleep ( 1000 )

send("o")

sleep ( 1000 )

send("d:\test.wpl")

sleep ( 2000 )

send("{ENTER}")

sleep ( 1000 )

Run("D:\Ezphoto\EZPHOTO.EXE", "")

Sleep ( 6000 )

WinSetState ("slideshow8","",@SW_SHOW)

sleep ( 1000 )