'SendTo Clipboard As Name' Powertoy for Vista

corz

Those lovely powertoys won't install in Vista, so if you are anything like me, you will miss dragging stuff onto your "Clipboard As Name" SendTo icon (which you copied to your desktop because it was sooo handy, right?) which has been such an invaluable tool since Windows 95.

Well, I use that a zillion times a day (at least!) in XP, and while I've no plans to upgrade to Vista myself, it's best to be prepared; one never knows whose desktop one might find themselves working on, and this is an essential tool, wherever you are.

Now, obviously I've put a lot of work into this, so I'm expecting loads of replies along the lines of "awesome work, cor!" and "Your logic is undeniable!", and "Wow!", and stuff like that, and of course, you are free to use any parts of this code for your own projects, though I would expect full credit, and perhaps a lump-sum payment if you decide to use "significant portions", say over ten lines, in your own applications.

If you find any bugs, please let me know, with full details, error messages, and all that, and I'll schedule a debugging session, though I tend to leave such demanding tasks until the week-end.

Okay, without further ado, here it is..

if $CmdLine[0] then ClipPut($CmdLine[1])

:)

Removing tongue from cheek.. this really is a tool I use dozens of times a day, and if I were ever to upgrade to Vista this would be one of the first things on my desktop. I even knocked-up a pre-compiled version for the masses..

Posted Image

Obviously this would be just about as easy in C/C++, and the binary a helluva lot smaller, but hey!

Have fun!

;o)

(or

nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool..

See if this one works for you.

SendTo Toys

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I don't actually use Vista!

It's just some functional humour, kinda thing I do after all me real work's out of the way. :)

Thanks for the link, though. I have a couple of mates on Vista, I'll get them to try it.

You might want to consider an option to put links on the desktop, I've been using most of the powertoys since their inception, and apart from the mailers (which I generally delete), the SendTo menu isn't the best place for them, just takes to long to get there when you're in a hurry. Of course it's trivial for folk to create desktop links themselves, but most peeps wouldn't even think about it, unless some software developer suggested it to them!

I really like your program's design, and of course, the actual powertoys are far superior to my wee jokelet.

If it pans out on Vista, I'll drop a link into my site, fo sho.

;o)

(or

You might want to consider an option to put links on the desktop, I've been using most of the powertoys since their inception, and apart from the mailers (which I generally delete), the SendTo menu isn't the best place for them, just takes to long to get there when you're in a hurry. Of course it's trivial for folk to create desktop links themselves, but most peeps wouldn't even think about it, unless some software developer suggested it to them!

I really like your program's design, and of course, the actual powertoys are far superior to my wee jokelet.

If it pans out on Vista, I'll drop a link into my site, fo sho.

;o)

(or

Don't put the link I gave you on a site. Within a couple of days that file will be moving to another folder and I don't feel like doing redirects for individual zip files.

I could add a Desktop option easily enough. I never considered it because personally I like a VERY clean desktop. There are 2 icons on mine. And I might even remove the one for My Computer.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Yup, Creator, with the overall program architecture being so vast and convoluted, it's a real challenge to keep its entirety live in your mind while your in the thick of one of its sub-routines. :)

I hear you, GEOSoft, back in Win 95 my desktop was covered in icons. Then, with the IE4 desktop update, and the advent of toolbars, I started moving away from desktop icons, until there was only a couple of hundred, then a few dozen, and today, two dozen, but mostly minature size. But Even if I worked my way down to just the trash and one other icon, it would be SendTo Clipboard as Name!

I'm showing off my desktop today, so you can see what I mean.

It's been two-icons-from-the-trash for years..

;o)

(or

ps. actually, it looks slightly out of place in these screeners, I was trying out your version and must have shifted it two pixels to the right. AAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!