How to open a new browser window?

This type of syntax works just fine:

ShellExecute (@UserProfileDir & "\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\WXP\APP- Firefox Portable v2.0.0.3\FirefoxPortable.exe", "www.google.ca")
Firefox is opened instead of the default browser, so this part is okay.

Whether or not it's a Firefox fault I don't know. But this script makes the browser open in an existing window rather than opening up a new one. Is there some AI syntax that will ensure that a new browser instance is opened instead?

Thanks. <_<

• Moderators

Can't test it ... but you could try:

ShellExecute (@UserProfileDir & "\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\WXP\APP- Firefox Portable v2.0.0.3\FirefoxPortable.exe", "new-window www.google.ca")

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

ShellExecute (@UserProfileDir & "\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\WXP\APP- Firefox Portable v2.0.0.3\FirefoxPortable.exe", "www.google.ca")

The code as its written opens a new firefox window. You want this to open a new tab? So like you already have a FF window open and when you click this it opens a new tab with the www.google.ca in it?

Edited by Regency

The code as its written opens a new firefox window. You want this to open a new tab? So like you already have a FF window open and when you click this it opens a new tab with the www.google.ca in it?
Hi. Sorry. You made me realize that I forgot that I have a tab killer on my Firefox. I hate tabs. I have new windows open whenever I click on a link, except that it doesn't work when opening via AU3 where an existing open window is taken over.

Any ideas on what might open a new window? The other suggestion actually went to a website since "new window" was not recognized, at least, not using the particular syntax suggested.

Thanks. <_<

Hi. Sorry. You made me realize that I forgot that I have a tab killer on my Firefox. I hate tabs. I have new windows open whenever I click on a link, except that it doesn't work when opening via AU3 where an existing open window is taken over.

Any ideas on what might open a new window? The other suggestion actually went to a website since "new window" was not recognized, at least, not using the particular syntax suggested.

Thanks. <_<

Ok.. So you want it to open a New window?

Yes. Not a new tab, but a new window.

Thanks. :P

Is there anything that can be done re opening a new window when someone like me has a tab killer extension in Firefox? I'm hoping it's more a windows thing than code specifically related to Firefox (if there is such a thing). I'm sorry, I hate MDI and usu. prefer SDI and multiple windows in some things, esp. my browser. ;)

Is there anything that can be done re opening a new window when someone like me has a tab killer extension in Firefox? I'm hoping it's more a windows thing than code specifically related to Firefox (if there is such a thing). I'm sorry, I hate MDI and usu. prefer SDI and multiple windows in some things, esp. my browser. :P

I'm just wondering if a lack of answer means no-can-do? I was hoping that something that worked for IE might work for FF. So going to post this message after all to see if anyone knows anything. The scripts all work well, it's just that if a FF browser window is open, the script takes it over and sometimes I need the window to stay with the information it has and it's preferable for AI to open another completely different instance of FF. Hoping that there was some syntax I didn't know about to do this.

• Moderators

I'm just wondering if a lack of answer means no-can-do? I was hoping that something that worked for IE might work for FF. So going to post this message after all to see if anyone knows anything. The scripts all work well, it's just that if a FF browser window is open, the script takes it over and sometimes I need the window to stay with the information it has and it's preferable for AI to open another completely different instance of FF. Hoping that there was some syntax I didn't know about to do this.

The lack of answer on my part means... I can't test what your asking to show you how to do it correctly. I'm surprised you're still on this issue though... If it were possible, I would have thought you'd of tripped over by accident at least by now... that is ... unless you put it to the side waiting for someone to answer it for you.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• 3 weeks later...

Firefox->Tools->Options->Tabs-> 'A new window' -ok

ShellExecute ("C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe", "www.google.ca")
-opens a new window for me :)
Hi! Yes, I have always had that ticked off myself, too. Thanks so much for your answer. I still don't know why this isn't working but since everyone (well, most everyone <g>) has given kind advice and it's still not working, then I will take it over to the Firefox people. Perhaps they might have run into this problem. Again, it won't fix things with regards my AI scripts that don't open new windows, but it might give me a clue as to what is going on and I can then go from there (hopefully).

Thanks, everyone! Fortunately for me, though this behaviour happens 8 out of 10 times, I can get my window contents back intact with a back button move.

Cheers. ^_^

[p.s., My thumb drive launcher still runs default apps, so I overcome that limitation and running my own browser instead of the default one via AI scripts when needed. It'll be nice when I can figure this out. <g>]

The lack of answer on my part means... I can't test what your asking to show you how to do it correctly. I'm surprised you're still on this issue though... If it were possible, I would have thought you'd of tripped over by accident at least by now... that is ... unless you put it to the side waiting for someone to answer it for you.

Can't resist .... ^_^ Meanie <g>. It's obvious you use the tab feature. I don't. I love SDI in something like SciTE and others but not in my browser so I have a tab killer extension on there. But that's me. At any rate, will see if the FF people have this behaviour as a recurring problem. I'd hoped that a Windows solution that AI could use might work, i.e., the "new window" option, but no go. At any rate, cheers. :) Edited by Diana (Cda)