Batch File Creation

ame1011

Hi, I have a program that accepts input and creates a batch file from that input. I know that these functions can be accomplished through Autoit, but the batch file creation was requested and must be done. I have a function that creates the file:

Func GenerateBatch()
    $content = ""
    $loc = FileSaveDialog("Batch File Location", @MyDocumentsDir, "Batch File (*.bat)", 16, "backup.bat")

$content &= "@echo off" & @CRLF
    $content &= 'echo.' & @CRLF
    $content &= 'echo ==========================================' & @CRLF
    $content &= 'echo | XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Automatic Backup Utility |' & @CRLF
    $content &= 'echo ==========================================' & @CRLF
    $content &= 'echo ---==[ Beginning the Backup Process ]==---' & @CRLF

for $x = 0 to UBound($Pairs)-1
        if ($Pairs[$x][0] <> "" And $Pairs[$x][1] <> "") Then
            $content &= 'echo.' & @CRLF & @CRLF
            if StringRight($Pairs[$x][0], 1) = "\" Then $Pairs[$x][0] &= '*.*'
            $content &= 'xcopy "'&$Pairs[$x][0]&'" "'&$Pairs[$x][1]&'*.*'&'" /d /y /e' & @CRLF
            $content &= 'echo.' & @CRLF & @CRLF
        EndIf
    Next

$content &= 'pause' & @CRLF

$batch_file = FileOpen($loc, 2)
    FileWrite($batch_file, $content)
    FileClose($batch_file)

EndFunc

$Pairs is an array that contains source + desc pairs (the source path / file being $Pairs[$x][0] and the destination path being $Pairs[$x][1]. The resulting batch file looks something like this:

CODE
@echo off

echo.

echo.

echo ==========================================

echo | XXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Automatic Backup Utility |

echo ==========================================

echo.

echo.

echo ---==[ Beginning the Backup Process ]==---

echo.

echo.

echo.

xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\test1.pst" "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Ads\*.*" /d /y /e

echo.

echo.

xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\test2.pst" "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Ads\*.*" /d /y /e

echo.

echo.

xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{16DD2E5D-B56C-4EF6-8CDC-224213F9A9F6}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Folders.dbx" "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Ads\*.*" /d /y /e

echo.

echo.

xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{16DD2E5D-B56C-4EF6-8CDC-224213F9A9F6}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Inbox.dbx" "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Ads\*.*" /d /y /e

echo.

echo.

xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{16DD2E5D-B56C-4EF6-8CDC-224213F9A9F6}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Offline.dbx" "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Ads\*.*" /d /y /e

echo.

echo.

xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{16DD2E5D-B56C-4EF6-8CDC-224213F9A9F6}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Outbox.dbx" "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Ads\*.*" /d /y /e

echo.

echo.

xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\test1.wab" "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Ads\*.*" /d /y /e

echo.

echo.

xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\test2.wab" "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Ads\*.*" /d /y /e

echo.

pause

I am almost certain that the batch code is correct, however it doesn't work. I have a feeling that the carriage returns and line feeds are causing it to error out. Anyone have any idea why when running the batch file it just quickly opens and closes?

Edited by ame1011
[font="Impact"] I always thought dogs laid eggs, and I learned something today. [/font]

I'm not sure about the linefeeds but the xcopy syntax looks strange to me. You are copying from a filename to a wildcard, what happens when you try copying from a filename to a filename?

Nevermind.

Edited by weaponx

Hello,

I think the pipe symbol is the problem:

"echo | XXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Automatic Backup Utility |"

In win XP, you may "escape" the pipe with the caret:

"echo ^| XXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Automatic Backup Utility ^|"

Hello,

I think the pipe symbol is the problem:

"echo | XXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Automatic Backup Utility |"

In win XP, you may "escape" the pipe with the caret:

"echo ^| XXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Automatic Backup Utility ^|"

It was the pipe symbol, thanks alot! :P

[font="Impact"] I always thought dogs laid eggs, and I learned something today. [/font]