Setting Mouse Boundries and Window Borders

Christopher Blue

I am trying to run Warcraft 3 in Windowed mode. However it presented two problems:

Problem 1. The game window has the standard Windows XP borders and also, it doesn't set itself to my desktop resolution (1024x768). Since the taskbar is larger than 12 pixels, I could not simply increase its size and then move it a little off-screen to compensate although I tried. However, I was told of WinCheat which allowed me to manually remove the Window borders at runtime. While it *does* present a solution to my problem, I am curious is AutoIt could either (a)talk to WinCheat and therefore automate it, or (b)remove the borders itself thus eliminating the need for WinCheat. I was unsuccessful at finding anything about border removal when using the stable AutoIt version but I am curious: Is there a DLL I might call (thanks to the new DLLCall) that would allow me to do what WinCheat does?

Problem 2. I have dual monitors and anyone who has played Warcraft 3 knows that it involves alot of mouse scrolling. However, in Windowed mode Warcraft 3 doesn't trap the mouse within it's borders and thus the mouse can fly right outside the game window which is extremely disorienting and basically makes War3 unplayable. I have tried making my own mouse trapping script but it is slow and doesn't work well:

#cs

Algorithm:
Get Active Window
Find Window 
Get Window Dimensions
Check Mouse Location against window dimensions
Move Mouse to closest valid coordinate

#ce

Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 3)
Opt("MouseCoordMode", 0)

Global $window_name = "Warcraft III"
Global $shrink = 7
Global $titlebar = 26
Global $rest = 5
Global $hotkey1 = "{F1}"
Global $hotkey2 = "{F2}"
Global $Paused = 0
Global $window_info = WinGetPos($window_name)

HotKeySet($hotkey1, "TogglePause")
HotKeySet($hotkey2, "RecalculateWindow")

while (1)
    CheckBoundries()
    Sleep($rest)
WEnd

Func CheckBoundries()
    If (WinActive($window_name)) Then
        $mouse_info = MouseGetPos()

; Left
        If ($mouse_info[0] < $shrink) Then
            MouseMove($shrink + 1, $mouse_info[1], 0)
        EndIf        

; Left-Up
        If (($mouse_info[0] < $shrink) AND ($mouse_info[1] < $shrink + $titlebar)) Then
            MouseMove($shrink + 1, $shrink + $titlebar + 1, 0)
        EndIf

; Up
        If ($mouse_info[1] < $shrink + $titlebar) Then
            MouseMove($mouse_info[0], $shrink + $titlebar + 1, 0)
        EndIf

; Right-Up
        If (($mouse_info[0] > $window_info[2] - $shrink) AND ($mouse_info[1] < $shrink + $titlebar)) Then
            MouseMove($window_info[2] - $shrink - 1, $shrink + $titlebar + 1, 0)
        EndIf

; Right
        If ($mouse_info[0] > $window_info[2] - $shrink) Then
            MouseMove($window_info[2] - $shrink - 1, $mouse_info[1], 0)
        EndIf

; Right-Down
        If (($mouse_info[0] > $window_info[2] - $shrink) AND ($mouse_info[1] > $window_info[3] - $shrink)) Then
            MouseMove($window_info[2] - $shrink - 1, $window_info[3] - $shrink - 1, 0)    
        EndIf

; Down
        If ($mouse_info[1] > $window_info[3] - $shrink) Then
            MouseMove($mouse_info[0], $window_info[3] - $shrink - 1, 0)
        EndIf

; Left-Down
        If (($mouse_info[0] < $shrink) AND ($mouse_info[1] > $window_info[3] - $shrink)) Then
            MouseMove($shrink + 1, $window_info[3] - $shrink - 1, 0)    
        EndIf

EndIf
EndFunc

Func TogglePause()
    $Paused = NOT $Paused
    While $Paused
        Sleep(100)
    WEnd
EndFunc

Func RecalculateWindow()
    $window_info = WinGetPos($window_name)
EndFunc

The mouse is trapped, but it jumps around alot and isn't fully responsive near the screen edges. Is there a way to either improve my script or perhaps, redefine the mouse boundries at a very low-level so Window's traps the mouse instead of my crappy script?

Edited by Christopher Blue

• Administrators

I've just finishing changing the mouse/pixel commands so that in addition to the usual "screen" and "window" modes that are used for coordinate there is a "client" mode that uses coords relative to the window's client area (the bit inside the window frame). Will this make this problem go away?

to DLLCalls

GetWindowLong

SetWindowLong

I can't remember how to remove styles from the result of GetWindowLong and apply it to SetWindowLong... I will research and try to answer before the more brainy (Valik, Jon) people get to it...

Lar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Use either BitNOT to remove it, or use BitAND to test to see if it exists and then if so, use BitXOR to remove it. In C, it looks like:

style = GetWindowLong();
if (style & StyleIWantToRemove)
    SetWindowLong(style ^ StyleIWantToRemove)

(It should go without saying that the code isn't valid, that its only concept code)

Larry:

I will start reading about the Windows Classes Reference.

Jon:

That will help me simplify my code since I don't have to take the Window borders into consideration, but I suspect my code will still be as slow and jumpy as before and thus I am curious as to if there is a low-level solution to setting Mouse Boundries. I mean, if Windows can tell the mouse that 768 is the max Y and 1024 (2048 in my dual monitor situation) is the max X, perhaps there is a way to change those values and thus make the mouse run in a box of the programmer's choosing. It doesn't even have to be that specific for I am merely trying to get it to stay within the area of a client Window (Warcraft III's game screen).

I am currently simplfying my mouse bounding script for when the window is bounded on three sides by the screen edges which is the case once I use WinCheat to take away the borders and then reposition the window in the upper left corner of my left-monitor. Since the borders are gone, I can easily resize War3 to 1024x768 using AutoIt.

I shall post the simplified mouse trap soon but I still believe it is just a bandaid until I find out something lower level.

example I wrote...

@Valik: My implementation of Bit commands work... is there a simpler syntax?

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

Global $GWL_STYLE = -16

$hWnd = WinGetHandle("AutoIt Forums")

$OldStyle = DLLCall( "user32.dll", "long", "GetWindowLong", "hwnd", $hWnd, "int", $GWL_STYLE )
If @error Then Exit
$OldStyle = $OldStyle[0]

$NewStyle = BitAND($OldStyle,BitNOT($WS_CAPTION) )

DLLCall( "user32.dll", "long", "SetWindowLong", "hwnd", $hWnd, "int", $GWL_STYLE, "long", $NewStyle )

Sleep(2000)

DLLCall( "user32.dll", "long", "SetWindowLong", "hwnd", $hWnd, "int", $GWL_STYLE, "long", $OldStyle )
WinSetState($hWnd,"",@SW_MINIMIZE)
WinSetState($hWnd,"",@SW_RESTORE)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I prefer wrapping DllCall() functions in functions to make them more "natural" (and reusable). As far as the bitwise stuff goes, Shouldn't that be BitOR and not BitAND?

Edit: Never mind, BitAND is correct, my brain is frazzled; I've been looking at COM way too much this morning. Is what you have the functional equivalent to:

If BitAND($Style, $WS_CAPTION) Then $Style = BitXOR($Style, $WS_CAPTION)

Edit2: Ignore me, my brain is taking a nap for a little while. Playing with vectors of pointers and COM does that to me.

Edited by Valik

Absolutely incredible Larry! Your code works perfectly. I have implemented your suggestions and rolled the resulting script into my hide/unhide script:

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

Global $hidden = 0
Global $GWL_STYLE = -16

HotKeySet("^q", "ToggleWindowHide")

;Remove the window borders
$hWnd = WinGetHandle($window_name)

$OldStyle = DLLCall( "user32.dll", "long", "GetWindowLong", "hwnd", $hWnd, "int", $GWL_STYLE )
If @error Then Exit
$OldStyle = $OldStyle[0]

$NewStyle = BitAND($OldStyle,BitNOT($WS_DLGFRAME) )
$NewStyle = BitAND($NewStyle,BitNOT($WS_THICKFRAME) )
$NewStyle = BitAND($NewStyle,BitNOT($WS_BORDER) )

DLLCall( "user32.dll", "long", "SetWindowLong", "hwnd", $hWnd, "int", $GWL_STYLE, "long", $NewStyle )

; Move the Window into postion and resize it
WinMove($window_name, "", 0, 0, 1024, 768)

; Wait for hotkey input
while (1)
    Sleep (2147483647)
WEnd

; Hides/Unhides window
Func ToggleWindowHide()
    If ($hidden) Then
        WinSetState ($window_name, "", @SW_SHOW)
    ;WinMove($window_name, "", 0, 0, 1024, 768)
    ;MouseClick("left")
    Else    
        WinSetState ($window_name, "", @SW_HIDE)
    ;WinMove($window_name, "", -5000, -5000)
    ;MouseClick("left")
    EndIf
    $hidden = NOT $hidden
EndFun

Now all that is left to tackle is how to keep the mouse from flying out of the right side of the screen unless I want it to...

I have refined my mouse trap script: it now only covers the right-hand side. It works but it is imperfect for the mouse, when moved quickly, will escape onto the second monitor for a split-second before it gets lassoed back in.

#cs

Algorithm:
Get Active Window
Find Window 
Get Window Dimensions
Check Mouse Location against window dimensions
Move Mouse to closest valid coordinate

#ce

Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 3)
Opt("MouseCoordMode", 0)

Global $rest = 1
Global $hotkey = "{F1}"
Global $Paused = 0
Global $window_info = WinGetPos($window_name)

HotKeySet($hotkey, "TogglePause")

while (1)
    CheckBoundries()
    Sleep($rest)
WEnd

Func CheckBoundries()
    If (WinActive($window_name)) Then
        $mouse_info = MouseGetPos()

; Right
        If ($mouse_info[0] >= ($window_info[2] - 2)) Then
            MouseMove($window_info[2] - 2, $mouse_info[1], 0)
        EndIf

EndIf
EndFunc

Func TogglePause()
    $Paused = NOT $Paused
    While $Paused
        Sleep(100)
    WEnd
EndFunc

It appears that ClipCursor is reset as soon as another app gains focus. :) I will see if it sticks if I reapply it after the app has gained focus.

edit: Ah it appears that it does stick it reapplied after the app has gained focus. In light of that, I can probably work around it then.

Edited by Christopher Blue