please don't kill autoit3A

After using autoit for a few years (on win98), when I installed v3.2.10.0 I got a "error loading file" when I tried to run a script from the scite editor. One puzzling aspect of this was that the script would run correctly from the (right-click) context menu.

I found the fix for this in the general support forum. The fix involved setting up an initialization file which called for invoking autoit3a for the scite "go" command, rather than autoit3.

However, one of the subsequent forum comments implied that you developers were planning to drop autoit3a in the near future. I would like to see you keep it available. Or failing that, then at least provide the source code that you are taking out -- so that I can put it back in to subsequent releases.

You may think that anybody who sticks with a 10-year-old system doesn't deserve support (just like microsoft does). In my case, I was willing to go along, but the general advice one was hearing back when xp came out was "wait until all the security bugs are fixed" before you upgrade. And so, I waited. And waited. And waited. It seemed to me that the security bug patches never stopped coming. And so I never moved along to xp. Now we have vista. What I am hearing now is that the original release of vista is buggy, and one should wait until SR1 comes out in 1Q08. A number of corporations (if not most) are sticking with xp, and some system vendors are even responding with pre-loading xp on new systems instead of vista.

For me, this is all beside the point. My ancient win98 system doesn't have the horsepower to run vista anyway (or xp for that matter). However, I am happy with win98 and will stick with it until my system dies.

cheers, jw

However, one of the subsequent forum comments implied that you developers were planning to drop autoit3a in the near future. I would like to see you keep it available. Or failing that, then at least provide the source code that you are taking out -- so that I can put it back in to subsequent releases.

Two comments to this. First, did you even bother to read the thread by the developers on the subject? If you read it, did you bother to comprehend it? It's not like currently working versions are going to disappear off the face of the internet.

My second comment is, what exactly do you intend to "put the source code (back) in(to)"? You do not have the source code to AutoIt, at least, not a version made in the last 2 years. So even if you had the bits and pieces of source, what good would they do you?

My suggestion to you is, don't have a knee-jerk reaction to things and run off making forum posts making yourself look silly. It's been stated several times that at worst, 3.2.10.0 will be the last Windows 9x compatible release of AutoIt, and that release will always be up on the website for those who need it.