AutoEd Beta release

lookfar

I am probably way off base saying this, and I'm sorry if I am, but....

The last 4 versions have had the new run feature, which is great, but the last 2 beta's have also incorporated a syntax checker when you hit run.

I fear that this may be more trouble than it's worth.

It might be my system (win98se) but the last two beta's run feature have been very unstable.

I have seen:

- The syntax check keeps flagging this: MouseMove($x[0],$x[1],1)

Not sure why, it works fine.

- It stops running any script after about 5 seconds, kinda annoying.

- Access violation at address 004BDC1D in module 'autoed.exe'

- Illegal operation on exit of Autoed

- Exception EAccessViolation in module autoed.exe at 0000379c

- Runtime error 216 on exit of Autoed

- On exit of Autoed I get stuck in a loop of errors and clicking on Debug is the only way to break out.

So many problems that I reverted back to the last Alpha version.

Edit: All the above problems only occure if I run a script using AutoEd, or run the syntax check. AutoEd exits fine if I don't run anything.

I'm sure the syntax check is quite complicated to implement and get working correctly in AutoEd, but is it really nessesary?

Ok, feel free to pounce on me... :idiot:

-Scott

Edited by Scottswan

I am probably way off base saying this, and I'm sorry if I am, but....

The last 4 versions have had the new run feature, which is great, but the last 2 beta's have also incorporated a syntax checker when you hit run.

I fear that this may be more trouble than it's worth.

It might be my system (win98se) but the last two beta's run feature have been very unstable.

I have seen:

- The syntax check keeps flagging this: MouseMove($x[0],$x[1],1)

Not sure why, it works fine.

- It stops running any script after about 5 seconds, kinda annoying.

- Access violation at address 004BDC1D in module 'autoed.exe'

- Illegal operation on exit of Autoed

- Exception EAccessViolation in module autoed.exe at 0000379c

- Runtime error 216 on exit of Autoed

- On exit of Autoed I get stuck in a loop of errors and clicking on Debug is the only way to break out.

So many problems that I reverted back to the last Alpha version.

Edit: All the above problems only occure if I run a script using AutoEd, or run the syntax check.  AutoEd exits fine if I don't run anything.

I'm sure the syntax check is quite complicated to implement and get working correctly in AutoEd, but is it really nessesary?

Ok, feel free to pounce on me...  :idiot:

-Scott

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yikes..that doesn't look good. what version of AutoIt do you have on that machine?

the console output depends on no later than version 3.0.102 which has the /ErrorStdOut built in. this is what I use to pipe the output to the console window.

I just tested on a win98 laptop with 32mb ram and it worked ok..not quite as expected, the errorline did not get auto highlighted so I can only surmise it has to do with processor.

What I can easily do is create another option in the editor "Run" that will simply run shellexecute on AutoIt (whatever version) It will not use the output console .

I'll get to that tonight..

Thanks for the feedback, the better tested the better the application.

Yikes..that doesn't look good. what version of AutoIt do you have on that machine?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am running .103, I didn't concider that possibility.... the errors are intermittent, sometimes I've opened, edited, run and exited with no problems on the latest beta.

I'll double check if it crashes using .103 code specifically.

-Scott

I am running .103, I didn't concider that possibility.... the errors are intermittent, sometimes I've opened, edited, run and exited with no problems on the latest beta.

I'll double check if it crashes using .103 code specifically.

-Scott

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me re-phrase that :

the console output depends on a minimum of version 3.0.102

so you should be ok.

I have just uploaded a changed version which has another menu option (F10) to Run AutoIt simply by "shellExecute", this will not use the console window.

so now there are 3 choices:

F9 Run AutoIt with /ErrorStdOut switch ,outputs to console window

F8 run Au3Check and output to console window

F10 run AutoIt (no switches,no console)

btw: did you know that if you write the word CHOICE on a piece of paper,flip it upside down and look at it in the mirror it reads upsidedown and backwards? :idiot:

Dec 05, Added Code Explorer, Lists all global variables, local variables, case statements and macros. no more hunting thru code (where was that damn thing) . clicking on node in code explorer tree will jump to the appropriate line. This is particularly useful with large scripts such as the incredible VNC script that was posted recently to this forum which is what I used to test/crash this thing. not only does the code explorer parse files instantly after you open them it also happens real time as you type.

uploaded new build (same zip file)

here is a (26kb gif) screenshot of AutoEd in action:

edit: also AutoEd now a multithreaded application.

http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/public/lookfar/autoed.gif

Edited by lookfar

Looking really good, the code explorer is brilliant..:idiot:

A couple of questions:

Can you add a right click to set a bookmark ?

Can you add option for other fonts - like Arial ?

Any plans for code folding ? This is not so important now you have the code explorer - but I use it quite alot in Scite - it would be nice to have.

Keep up the good work.

Yeah, what steve8tch said.

I found a bug (or is it a feature?)

I can't "fast forward" to left or right using Ctrl+Left arrow or Ctrl+Right arrow.

After trying again it works.

Strange.

I'll try to remember next time, exactly what I did before it happened.

Edited by SlimShady

Ahhh very nice! Add a tab to the code explorer that is a file explorer and I am in heaven!

The only reason I don't use this exclusively is because I miss the contextual help in SCiTE (ie. place cursor on a autoit function and hit F1)

Edited by Hooch

Looking really good, the code explorer is brilliant..:idiot:

A couple of questions:

Can you add a right click to set a bookmark ?

Can you add option for other fonts - like Arial ?

Any plans for code folding ? This is not so important now you have the code explorer - but I use it quite alot in Scite - it would be nice to have.

Keep up the good work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I'm going to add bookmark support over the next day or so.

the font issue: I posed the same question to the SynEdit Dev list and here is the reply:

"SynEdit can only use fixed width fonts. The ones left out should be

variable width fonts like Arial or Times New Roman."

actually if you right click in the edit window you can set a font but as you can see the format is a little to be desired..

code folding is being worked on in SynEdit Dev, right now the push is for Unicode.

Ahhh very nice! Add a tab to the code explorer that is a file explorer and I am in heaven!

The only reason I don't use this exclusively is because I miss the contextual help in SCiTE (ie. place cursor on a autoit function and hit F1)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can put a file explorer in, the only reason I haven't already is it tends to slow things down as the explorer reads your drive.

you can get contexual help by using the autocompletion function. All the AutoIt keywords and thier descriptions were pulled directly from the help file .

trigger chars and Ctrl+Space brings up the autocompletion. However If you highlight a AutoIt keyword and press Ctrl+Space it will only show that particular keyword with full description, In the dropdown AutoCompletion window.

also Ctrl+J will bring up the Code Completion.. (I really need to get a help file written)

I can put a file explorer in, the only reason I haven't already is it tends to slow things down as the explorer reads your drive.

you can get contexual help by using the autocompletion function. All the AutoIt keywords and thier descriptions were pulled directly from the help file .

trigger chars and Ctrl+Space brings up the autocompletion. However If you highlight a AutoIt keyword and press Ctrl+Space it will only show that particular keyword with full description, In the dropdown AutoCompletion window.

also Ctrl+J will bring up the Code Completion.. (I really need to get a help file written)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah ok, still though if you are unsure of a function name or need to see an example you still need to be able to open the autoit .chm file. Even if it doesn't take you directly to the function you want.

I think my system might be messed up somehow (98se) but here's what happens when I open any file with the latest beta...

I select open, pick any file, text or au3, as soon as I click the Open button it dumps to a BSOD.

Fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C02A27A8 in VXD vwin32(05) + 000012D0

When I press the 'any' key, Windows comes right back but AutoEd is unloaded.

I can see for a split second that AutoEd did load the file.

On a side note, something else recently messed up my system where the lastest Mozilla or Firefox will not display animated gif's correctly. The Clickable Smilies here are not moving and theres 5 of them that I can only see the eyes.....

.... this box may be due for a format.

-Scott

I think my system might be messed up somehow (98se) but here's what happens when I open any file with the latest beta...

I select open, pick any file, text or au3, as soon as I click the Open button it dumps to a BSOD.

Fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C02A27A8 in VXD vwin32(05) + 000012D0

When I press the 'any' key, Windows comes right back but AutoEd is unloaded.

I can see for a split second that AutoEd did load the file.

On a side note, something else recently messed up my system where the lastest Mozilla or Firefox will not display animated gif's correctly. The Clickable Smilies here are not moving and theres 5 of them that I can only see the eyes.....

.... this box may be due for a format.

-Scott

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have had no issues on win95 or tests on win98 however this may be a borland delphi 6 bug:

http://www.techadvice.com/specs/answer.asp?aid=407

I will see if there is a patch or recompile in D7

Edited by lookfar

Dec 07

Uploaded new build which fixes the fatal exception errors on win98 se

seems the multithread component I was using was not compatible with the way win98 allocated page memory. Just tested before and after on a win98 se pc and works just fine.

@ steve8tch also added BookMark options. (under search menu)

have fun!

Dec 07

Uploaded new build which fixes the fatal exception errors on win98 se

seems the multithread component I was using was not compatible with the way win98 allocated page memory.  Just tested before and after on a win98 se pc and works just fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, works great now!

-Scott

Small request, can we get ctrl+w to close the active file? This seems to be the standard in every editor I have used so now I'm programmed to hit those dang keys :idiot:

As for the file explorer and the autoit.chm, maybe make the file explorer an option and just define a hotkey to at least open the autoit help file.

I can live with it not going to the actual function I have highlighted but not without the examples the helpfile has.

Edited by Hooch