Error handling

makogen

Ok, I've run into a bit of a problem:

In my original code I had a gui with 60 editable buttons kinda like a type it in clone. you click one and it writes what you want it to say. The buttons are made from a 2 diminsional array that contains the data on each button like font color, location, color, and also the context menu.

I decided to try to rewite the code so there aren't over 200 cases in the select. And I'm using a variation of the _ArraySearch function I found in the forums, the _ArraySearchAnyDim. Here's a little of what the code looks like:

While 1

$i = 0
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
;~      ConsoleWrite($msg & @CRLF)
        Select
            Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                Exit

Case $msg > 0

$pos = _ArraySearchAnyDim($respBtns, $msg, 0, 0, 0, "[x][7]");refs to control ID (what button was clicked)
                $pos2 = _ArraySearchAnyDim($respBtns, $msg, 0, 0, 0, "[x][9]");refs to context menu:EDIT
;~              $pos3 = _ArraySearchAnyDim($respBtns, $msg, 0, 0, 0, "[x][10]");refs to context menu:
;~              $pos4 = _ArraySearchAnyDim($respBtns, $msg, 0, 0, 0, "[x][11]");refs to context menu:

If $msg = $respBtns[$pos][7] Then
                    MsgBox(0,"error",@error)

If @error Then
                        SetError(0)
                    EndIf
                    MsgBox(0, $msg, $pos)
                EndIf

If $msg = $respBtns[$pos2][9] Then

If @error Then
                        SetError(0)
                    EndIf
                    MsgBox(0, $msg, $pos2)
                EndIf
            ;;;
        EndSelect

WEnd

Everytime I click a button, it checks both $pos and $pos2 and gives me an error on the array being badly formatted. I understand why the error is coming, but I can't seem to get around it. Is there a way to catch the error and allow the program to continue running?

Something like If there's an error, then skip the block

Please any help would be great, I'm new to error handling and any references would be great as well :) thanx

I couldn't find any such function as _ArraySearchAnyDim in my AutoIt installation folder. Probably you found it on the forums. There is likely no problem with the function and instead, your array is badly formatted, just like the error states, and it is a function that is called within that function that is throwing the error. There is no way to keep the error from occurring but by fixing the array, likely business.

In the beta include file, there is a handy function called _ArrayDisplay. To discover the contents of the array, you could trying using it in your code to check the contents of the array just before where you first call _ArraySearchAnyDim. But that might just throw the same error. Review the code you used to build your array in the first place, and fix it.

And given the provided code, any time a button is clicked, all instances of _ArraySearchAnyDim are called, one after another because they are listed there one after another right after the Case > 0 statement.

Edited by Squirrely1

Das Häschen benutzt Radar

:) thanks I figure it out ;) this is what i got :D

$rpos = _ArraySearchAnyDim($rBtns, $msg, 0, 0, 0, "[x][7]");refs to control ID (what button was clicked)
                If $rpos > -1 Then

If $msg = $rBtns[$rpos][7] Then

;~                      MsgBox(0, $rpos, "works")
                    EndIf

ElseIf $rpos == -1 Then

$rpos2 = _ArraySearchAnyDim($rBtns, $msg, 0, 0, 0, "[x][9]");refs to context menu:EDIT
                    If $rpos2 > -1 Then

If $msg = $rBtns[$rpos2][9] Then
                            MsgBox(0, $msg, $rpos2)
                            EndIf

EndIf
                    EndIf
                EndIf