Newbie Question

Watcher

Really basic question I'm sure, but I'm stuck! Here's what's going on.

I have a global variable list of $abcX1 = 100, $abcY1 = 200, $abcX2 = 500, etc.

I'm trying to string $abcX and an incrimenting number $num together into a single variable for a coordinate lookup. I.E. $positionx = ("$abcX" & $num). Instead of getting a 100, I of course get that $positionx = $abcX1. How can I get this to show that $positionx = 100?

Thanks!

• Developers

Really basic question I'm sure, but I'm stuck!  Here's what's going on.

I have a global variable  list of $abcX1 = 100, $abcY1 = 200, $abcX2 = 500, etc.

I'm trying to string $abcX and an incrimenting number $num together into a single variable for a coordinate lookup.  I.E.  $positionx = ("$abcX" & $num).  Instead of getting a 100, I of course get that $positionx = $abcX1.  How can I get this to show that $positionx = 100?

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

have a look at Eval()

eg:

$abcX1 = 100
$abcY1 = 200
$abcX2 = 500
$num=1
$positionx = Eval("abcX" & $num)
Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Doh! Ok, thought Eval fixed the problem (I got "did not declare variable" trying it your way Larry), but Eval only seems to be getting me past errors, not giving the correct output. I'll give another example:

$target = Eval("F" & $person)
   If $hexcoord NOT = $hexscan Then
        Call("TargetSelect") .....

;Target Select

Func TargetSelect()
    If $target = "F1" Then
      Send("F1")
    ElseIf $target = "F2" Then
      Send("F2")
    ElseIf $target = "F3" Then
      Send("F3")
    ElseIf $target = "F4" Then
      Send("F4")
    ElseIf $target = "F5" Then
      Send("F5")
        Else
      send("END")
    EndIf
EndFunc

I'm getting the END message when trying to run this, so Eval doesn't seem to be sticking the F and 1 (which is what $person is set to) together recognizably. Anything look obviously wrong? Also, how do you output variables in an error message in AutoIt? I tried using a splash screen, but the variable would not output, so I couldn't see exactly what $target was set to. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

• Developers

Any help is appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The easiest way to debug these kind of issues is to put a msgbox(0,'debug','|' & $target & '|' ) in your TargetSelect() function.

This will then display the exact content between the vertical bars....

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Okay, I think the eval would only be for the number scenario. So to do what you are trying to do above just do the following

$target = "F" & $person
   If $hexcoord NOT = $hexscan Then
      Call("TargetSelect")
   EndIf

Func TargetSelect()
   If $target = "F1" Then
      Send("{F1}")
   If $target = "F2" Then
      Send("{F2}")
   If $target = "F3" Then
      Send("{F3}")
   If $target = "F4" Then
      Send("{F4}")
   If $target = "F5" Then
      Send("{F5}")
   Else
      Send("{END}")
   EndIf
EndFunc

I am assuming you are actually wanting to press the key F1 not just send the text of F1 to something, so I took the liberty of adding the proper code for that as well.

Also as you asked, the best way to debug/troubleshoot I have found is using message boxes as follows below.

MsgBox(0, "Your Title Here", "Some text " & $variable & "more text " & $vairable2)

I hope some of this helps,

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

Ok, those posts were really helpful, and I've got it down to one last problem:

If $hexcoord NOT = $hexreturn Then
        Call("TargetSelect") ...

Even though I can verify through messages that the 2 variables are not the same, this If statement won't work. I'm thinking maybe it's a syntax problem (because I could find no examples of the NOT syntax in the helpfiles). Ideas? Thanks again for everyone's help up to this point.

If $hexcoord NOT = $hexreturn

should be

If $hexcoord <> $hexreturn

course you could...

If Not ($hexcoord = $hexreturn)

i think...

wait... that looks bad

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The <> got it. Thanks Larry! I had it ingrained in my head that I was going to use a NOT= like != :idiot: