Can I receive an event while already handling an event?

Hi!

I have the following problem. I have a main window which has a "Start" button to begin with the calculations. I'm using

GUICtrlSetOnEvent($startbutton,"Main")

to receive an event, when the button is clicked. GUIOnEventMode is set to "1" so I can receive the events automatically.

Now, inside the function "Main()", a small window with just a progress bar ist displayed. I'm trying to get an event for the clicking of the close-button of that window to stop the calculations:

$progwindow=GUICreate("Fortschritt",200,80)

GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE,"CLOSEClicked",$progwindow)

The event ist generated, but the event handling function "CLOSEClicked" is only called, when Main() reaches the end of the calculations and returns. But I want to receive the event at once to stop the calculation.

How can this be done? Do I have to use event polling instead?

BTW, I'm using HotKeySet("^c","CLOSEClicked") so I can stop the calculations with CTRL+C. This works just fine, I'm getting this event immideately.

Thanks in advance, J. Mayer

Hi!

I have the following problem. I have a main window which has a "Start" button to begin with the calculations. I'm using

GUICtrlSetOnEvent($startbutton,"Main")

to receive an event, when the button is clicked. GUIOnEventMode is set to "1" so I can receive the events automatically.

Now, inside the function "Main()", a small window with just a progress bar ist displayed. I'm trying to get an event for the clicking of the close-button of that window to stop the calculations:

$progwindow=GUICreate("Fortschritt",200,80)

GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE,"CLOSEClicked",$progwindow)

The event ist generated, but the event handling function "CLOSEClicked" is only called, when Main() reaches the end of the calculations and returns. But I want to receive the event at once to stop the calculation.

How can this be done? Do I have to use event polling instead?

BTW, I'm using HotKeySet("^c","CLOSEClicked") so I can stop the calculations with CTRL+C. This works just fine, I'm getting this event immideately.

Thanks in advance, J. Mayer

You can do it by registering WM_COMMAND and detecting the button click notification $BN_CLICKED.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

You can do it by registering WM_COMMAND and detecting the button click notification $BN_CLICKED.

Sorry, I could not get that to work. This probably has something to do with the fact, that ist startet programming with AutoIt olny just three days ago... :)

Anyway, I changed the program from OnEventMode to event polling. And now it works!!! But there is drawback to this. As I need to check for incoming messages with GUIGetMsg() all the time, I'm facing a major slowdown of the calculations. I've come arround this by not checking in every single loop of the main calculations but only in every 100th loop. This seems to me like a bit of a hack... is there any better way to do this?

Greetings, J. Mayer

Sorry, I could not get that to work. This probably has something to do with the fact, that ist startet programming with AutoIt olny just three days ago... :)

Anyway, I changed the program from OnEventMode to event polling. And now it works!!! But there is drawback to this. As I need to check for incoming messages with GUIGetMsg() all the time, I'm facing a major slowdown of the calculations. I've come arround this by not checking in every single loop of the main calculations but only in every 100th loop. This seems to me like a bit of a hack... is there any better way to do this?

Greetings, J. Mayer

Here's a quick example of what I meant.

[
#include <GuiConstants.au3>
Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)
;Global Const $WM_COMMAND = 0x0111
Global Const $BN_DOUBLECLICKED = 5
Global Const $BN_CLICKED = 0

Global $c = 0
$Form1 = GUICreate("Test Form", 681, 480, -1, -1)
$Tab1 = GUICtrlCreateTab(0, 0, 681, 481)
GUICtrlSetResizing(-1, $GUI_DOCKWIDTH + $GUI_DOCKHEIGHT)
$TabSheet1 = GUICtrlCreateTabItem("Test Tab")

$apps = GUICtrlCreateCombo("", 520, 40, 140, 150)
GUICtrlSetData(-1, "Entry 1|Entry 2|Entry 3", "Entry 1")

GUISetState()

$Add = GUICtrlCreateButton("Add", 520, 80, 60, 30)
$Test = GUICtrlCreateButton("Test Button", 20, 40, 120, 20)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent($Test, "TestButton")
;GUICtrlSetOnEvent($Add,"AddButton");because we need to action this immediately use WM_COMMAND
GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, "MY_WM_COMMAND")

GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE,"DoExit")

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func DoExit()

Exit
EndFunc

Func TestButton()
    $c = 0
    ConsoleWrite("start test" & @CRLF)
    For $n = 0 To 80
        If $c <> 0 Then
            ConsoleWrite($c & 'changed' & @CRLF)
            $c = 0
        EndIf
        Sleep(50)

Next
    ConsoleWrite("end test" & @CRLF)
EndFunc ;==>TestButton

Func AddButton()
    $c = 9;any change so we see the effect in TestButton
EndFunc

Func MY_WM_COMMAND($hWnd, $msg, $wParam, $lParam)
    $nNotifyCode = _HiWord($wParam)
    $nID = _LoWord($wParam)
    $hCtrl = $lParam

If $nID = $Add Then
        Switch $nNotifyCode
            Case $BN_CLICKED
                AddButton()
        EndSwitch
        Return 0
    Else
        Return $GUI_RUNDEFMSG
    EndIf
EndFunc ;==>MY_WM_COMMAND

Func _HiWord($x)
    Return BitShift($x, 16)
EndFunc ;==>_HiWord

Func _LoWord($x)
    Return BitAND($x, 0xFFFF)
EndFunc ;==>_LoWord
Edited by martin
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.