Auto Documentation of scripts

has anyone written a script or program that will automatically document an AU3 file into a readable document?

I have to submit my scripts to be approved before they can be run on the company network and they don't understand AutoIT so they want me to write up documentation on the steps the scripts performs and they will then approve that.

If there isn't one already made I think that will be my next project.

Mike

If they don't understand autoit, then what do they understand?

WinWait - Well, Duh... Wait for an .... um ... Window?

No, actually I don't know of anything like that, especially now with the addition of DllCall. The best thing is to do what good programmers do and comment almost every major thing inside the actual script.

Who else would I be?

yea... it's really hard to "document" all the script language like

this-is-me said.

Major issue here is, the project works well in your network environment

and it does as what they need / expected.

The script language commands are already "understandable" to programmers,

so why do you need to document it ??

• Developers

has anyone written a script or program that will automatically document an AU3 file into a readable document?

I have to submit my scripts to be approved before they can be run on the company network and they don't understand AutoIT so they want me to write up documentation on the steps the scripts performs and they will then approve that. 

If there isn't one already made I think that will be my next project.

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could use Tidy's Doc option to document it's logic ... maybe that helps . :idiot:

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

The best thing is to do what good programmers do and comment almost every major thing inside the actual script.

pretty much this is all you can do, and i agree.

seriously if they want to understand how it works and they arent taking your word for it, then you can show them the source and tell them to learn the language.

and if they refuse to do that then...

even if you understand what it does, just put a comment after EVERY LINE.

comment everything

mouseclick("left",100,200,0) ;this clicks the mouse

so that anyone can pretty much look anything up if they are suspicious of anything...

much faster than looking up every command

such as

RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\Policies\System", "DisableTaskMgr", "REG_DWORD", "1") ; this clicks the mouse

but doing this this is just silly and a waste of time.

i comment whats needed, so someone else who understands the language can read it.

also what i do is i make checkpoints, where a messagebox that times out, or a splashscreen comes up and tells you whats going on, at a certain place in the program.

that helps you keep track of where its at for one.. when working out bugs.. also its good as a sort of gui for the user so its not all behind the scenes. looks more professional and makes the operation of the script less confusing to the user.

Valik Note Added 19 October 2006 - 08:38 AMAdded to warn level I just plain don't like you.

even if you understand what it does, just put a comment after EVERY LINE.

comment everything

mouseclick("left",100,200,0) ;this clicks the mouse

A good rule of thumb: Comments should describe "why" rather than "what." So it would be much better to say why you are clicking the mouse at (100,200)....

When you look back at your code in six months, will you be able to understand your thinking and why you wrote something a particular way?

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!