Manage your Finances

ok, well.. to begin with i guess. i'm trying to write this program to help me manage my finances. as of right now, all i have is the gui setup. i have 5 tabs on it:

1) Accounts

2) Transactions

3) Withdrawals

4) Deposits

5) Balance

each tab, as labeled, has it's own purpose.

1) has a dropdown box to select an account with an 'ok' button which loads selected account.

2) has a button to bring up a list of pending/completed transactions. of course, you'd have to submit each transaction manually, but if you keep it up to date it's alot easier than writing it down in a check book.

3) basically just lists your most recent withdrawals stating whether it's pending or completed

4) same as #3 but instead, it lists your deposits

5) lists your current available balance and your estimated balance after your transactions/withdrawals/deposits etc...

the problem i am encountering is that i'm having trouble putting together functions to make the buttons work. (i.e. Balance Tab: [Current available balance] - [withdrawal from 3/11/2008] + [deposit on 3/16/2008] = [updated balance] ) if that makes any sense.

what i'm trying to do is tie that function in with the button on each tab. say for example, you enter $5.69 in the deposit tab and click ok, i'm wanting it to add $5.69 to the current available balance and display it in the main gui window. same for withdrawals, and transactions. on the transactions tab, i'm looking for it to show estimated balance before and after transactions go through.

any suggestions would be much appreciated.

i'll upload a .zip file with the .au3 script in it

any questions you have, feel free to ask.

i'm not looking for somebody to write it for me, just to help me understand how to write the requested functions

Manage_Your_Finances.zip

Education: Francis Tuttle Technology Center adult full-time studentCourse of study: Network TechnologyCurrent Course: Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise EditionCompleted Courses: CompTIA A+ Hardware and Software, Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Office 2003, Desktop Support and Troubleshooting, and CompTIA Network+Remaining Courses: Linux Administration, Copper Cabling, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise EditionAchievements: @17 years old, scored 98th percentile U.S. in Algebra 2 and Advanced Chemistry. [i.e. Ranked top 2% in the nation of High School students]

• Moderators

I'd imagine this to be bank specific. I'd suggest downloading Quicken, and looking at one of their qfx files to see how they gather their info from your financial establishment.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't have a bank account anymore. As i'm about to join the Air Force, i'll be forced to close any current accounts and open one through the military. I was attempting to write it for personal use so i'll know how much to save towards a car, tv, house, etc... i'm not looking to write it to take a person's financial info from a bank and compiling it, i was mainly looking to make it add up user input values. i.e. if you want a theoretical balance after pre-planned expenditures then you could simply type it in and see what you'd be looking at 3 months ahead or however long you plan ahead, etc... if that makes any sense lol. like for me, i'll be making ~$2000/month - $700 for car payment/insurance/interest reduction, and $1300 leftover for savings. but i'm currently making ~$600/month before taxes, so i would have to write in the file to open up an account for military and an account for current incomes.

i guess it's more of a "help you plan your financial future" program rather than a "balance your checkbook" program lol

p.s. i tend to have trouble explaing stuff in a short time, but i hope this clears up my intentions

Education: Francis Tuttle Technology Center adult full-time studentCourse of study: Network TechnologyCurrent Course: Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise EditionCompleted Courses: CompTIA A+ Hardware and Software, Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Office 2003, Desktop Support and Troubleshooting, and CompTIA Network+Remaining Courses: Linux Administration, Copper Cabling, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise EditionAchievements: @17 years old, scored 98th percentile U.S. in Algebra 2 and Advanced Chemistry. [i.e. Ranked top 2% in the nation of High School students]