.dll Import and Export Functions

Please forgive me if I'm asking a dumb, but I'm new to working with .dll files and I'm getting as much information together as I can. I ask the autoit forums because the users here are the most helpful to me on the web. Thank you for that :)

What is the difference in between the 2 kinds of functions i am seeing in dll files. Import and Export? I understand export functions. What are the uses for import?

Edited by onestcoder

Need a website: http://www.iconixmarketing.com

Please forgive me if I'm asking a dumb, but I'm new to working with .dll files and I'm getting as much information together as I can. I ask the autoit forums because the users here are the most helpful to me on the web. Thank you for that :)

What is the difference in between the 2 kinds of functions i am seeing in dll files. Import and Export? I understand export functions. What are the uses for import?

Not really an expert on this but until a better explanation comes along, an import function is a function compiled in another module which is linked to the compiled dll, so the function might be called from the code in the dll, but you won't see the code for that function in the dll source. The import function will have to be declared as an import in some way which depends on the language, and the compiler will look for it in a linked module or library. Similar to when you use DllCall which I suppose could be called importing a function. In concept I think it is not so different to using a function in an include file. But perhaps the experts will frown on these comparisons.

Edited by martin
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

So, if you found a .dll file that you are interested in trying to use, how would you start to inspect it for use.

I have "DLL Export Viewer v1.11" to look for export functions and ".NET Reflector 5.0" to look a .net .dll's.

I have also used "Dependency Walker" to look at import functions, but I'm still learning what all this means.

COM .dll's vs.NET .dll' and all that jazz :)

Edited by onestcoder

Need a website: http://www.iconixmarketing.com