Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BBrian

Services launching applications

4 posts in this topic

I have my first big script complete, it opens three applications while performing its role, MS. Word, Abbyy FineReader and a comand line pdf tool and so far works adequately. It would be perfect if it could run in the background. If I was to run it as a service, would the other applications also operate silently in the background? If they don't then I guess there's no advantage to it being a service!?

Depending on what you're doing with those three applications, it's possible that it could be run silently in the background (or close to silently anyways)... You could run the PDF command-line tool with the SW_HIDE flag (see the helpfile), you could use MS Word using the COM interface (search the forums) and I've not really used the other one, but you might be able to do a WinSetState ("Title", "", @SW_Hide) on it as soon as it opens or when you Run it and then just do ControlCommands to it...

But it really just depends, you're somewhat limited by what other programs have to offer you for an interface.

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

I'm making some headway on this. I have the script running as a service and the Abbyy FineReader part of the script works fine. Winword.exe starts but I can't get the handle for Word using WinGetProcess, I assume because there is no window! I'm looking for a PID -> handle script but the one I found didn't work. I need the handle so I can use _WordAttach and then call a macro. I'm worried this might not be possible. Ideas?

Edited by BBrian