string missing closing quote

layer

hey guys, when i include this in my script (not an include file, but when it's in my script) it returns "String Missing Closing Quote"

HotKeySet ("{TAB}", "Tab")
Func Tab ()
   GUICtrlSetData ($edit,"      ", 1)                                                                                                  ", 1)
EndFunc

but thats not how the code really looks, thats what happens when i paste it, i really have no clue whats going on... it should look like this..:

Func Tab ()
GUICtrlSetData  ($edit,"      ",1)                                                                                               
EndFunc

thats not how it should look either!! damn, why can't i write anything after GUICtrlSetData!!!!!??!?!

heres a screenshot of what error pops up and how the code should look like but how it's not executed like that...

whatever the freaking picture not's showing up... and the code does come up right AFTER i post it, id ont even know what the problem is so i doubt anyone can help :idiot:

Edited by layer
FootbaG

im the developer :idiot: lol, but i mean in THIS IE window i couldnt but after i post it goes there... but yea, its my text editor im writing :D

few minutes later... hmmm...

Developer: i dont know

me(developer): ok

:lol:;):D :D :D:idea:

help pleasE?

FootbaG

As I understand:

- You made your own editor in AutoIt3 (I assume)

- when you paste some code in the editor it crashes?

I have no idea how this could happen.

Maybe it's caused by a global variable that's used by the AdLibEnable function and at the same time the variable is changed by the main code.

Attach your script so we can take a look.

Edited by SlimShady

no no no, im pasting code into these forums not my script editor... but just forget i even said that, that i can fix, but the error i get, i cannot, but heres my code as i already posted it in the scripts and scraps section but i added a Tab fun but thats not working... so ghere...

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
GUICreate ("Ryan's Text Editor", 300, 400)
GUISetState ()
$menu_1= GUICtrlCreateMenu ("&File")
$menu_item1= GUICtrlCreateMenuItem ("Save", $menu_1)
$menu_item2= GUICtrlCreateMenuItem ("Open", $menu_1) 
$menu_item4= GUICtrlCreateMenuItem ("Exit", $menu_1)
$Menu= GUICtrlCreateMenu ("&Edit")
$menu_item= GUICtrlCreateMenuItem ("Copy & Ctrl+C", $Menu)
$menu_item3= GUICtrlCreateMenuItem ("Paste & Ctrl+P", $menu)
$edit= GUICtrlCreateEdit ("", -1, -1, 300, 400, 0x0080)
Func Save ()
$save= FileSaveDialog ("Save...", @DesktopDir, "Text (*.txt)")
$readedit= GUICtrlRead ($edit)
FileWrite ($save & ".txt", $readedit)
EndFunc

Func Open ()
$open= FileOpenDialog ("Open...", @DesktopDir, "Text (*.txt)")
$readfile= FileOpen ($open, 0)
While 1
  $line = FileReadLine($readfile)
  If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
  GUICtrlSetData ($edit, $line, 1)
Wend
Return $readfile
FileClose($readfile)
EndFunc

Func Tab ()
   GUICtrlSetData ($edit,"      ", 1)                                                                                                  ", 1)
EndFunc
While 1
$get=GUIGetMsg ()
Select
Case $get= -3
$saveor= MsgBox (3, "Save?", "Save unfinished work?")
If $saveor= 6 then
 Save ()
EndIf
If $saveor= 2 then

EndIf
If $saveor= 7 Then
exit
EndIf
Case $get= $menu_item4
 Exit
Case $get= $menu_item1
Save ()
Exit
Case $get= $menu_item
Send ("^c")
Case $get= $menu_item3
Send ("^p")
Case $get= $menu_item2
Open ()
Endselect
wend
FootbaG

I can't believe you don't see the problem.

I already saw it in your first post.

I was thinking "you know you have 3 double quotes in one function, right?"

Guess you missed that.

This is incorrect:

Remove the last 5 characters.

I also assumed the problem extended passed that... I still think it does?

Not exactly sure what the problem is in the first place regardless.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." - Mark TwainPatient: "It hurts when I do $var_"Doctor: "Don't do $var_" - Lar.

look, i know, ive seen that, but for some reason that just appears on these forums... or do you mean the " " space? or do you mean the useless " ", 1)"? that doesnt actually appear on the script... but the " " space does because that's the tab, any help?

FootbaG

I'm kinda lost you :S

1. I know the forum does strange things with space. When posting code for example.

do you mean the useless " ", 1)"? that doesnt actually appear on the script...

I meant "remove it". And if it is already gone: good.

3. What do you mean by this:

but the " " space does because that's the tab, any help?

ok, i think your catching on with my probelm :lol: i removed the extre ", 1) stuff and what i emant by " " is that, that is the Tab Function... witch is used for the hotkey tab.... so when the user presses tab it will make a tab space like: Paragraph begins here

get it? if not just post asking for more detail :D i will explain more if needed... ;)

EDIT: also, scite seems to be thinking that extra ", 1) is there too... it doesnt show up in the script but in the error it does... :idiot:

EDIT2: maybe it's a scite bug?

Edited by layer
FootbaG

1. I could imagine it's a SCiTE bug. It wouldn't surprise me.

SCiTE really plays with the code. One of those things that bother me.

I use Crimson Editor with the AUtoIt3 syntax file.

That's enough for me.

2. This should work you know.

Func Tab ()
   GUICtrlSetData  ($edit,"      ",1)                                                                                              
EndFunc

If it doesn't, tell us what your goal is.

• Developers

Not literally.

What I mean is the autocomplete feature.

When I was using SCiTE in the past, that feature annoyed me.

I just don't like editors adding characters and sh_t.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well SciTE doesn't add the characters automatically!

It gives you the option to hit Enter or TAB to add the suggested characters for you.

Only then, as you mildly put it, SH_T will be added.

This in my mind is one of the stronger features of SciTE, but every one is entitled to their own opinion. :idiot:

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I like the Auto Complete... though I wish it would go away if I type the word out completely... Like on WEnd I always do it WEnd and on the auto complete it is Wend so I have to make the Auto Complete drop down go away by moving one of my arrows. That is the only qualm I have with it.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

• Developers

I like the Auto Complete... though I wish it would go away if I type the word out completely... Like on WEnd I always do it WEnd and on the auto complete it is Wend so I have to make the Auto Complete drop down go away by moving one of my arrows. That is the only qualm I have with it.

JS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AutoComplete stops when a Space or ESC is hit.

Not sure if i understand your WEnd example, because it will complete as WEnd since the last version.

Tidy still makes it Wend, because that is what is in the Keywords.txt file that comes with the Helpfile source.

I guess we need to decide what Proper case is: WEnd or Wend .

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Oh okay... I havent noticed the fix :lol: my mistake. ;) I havnet done much AutoIt as of late... been busy with 2 jobs. Soon I think I will make AutoIt my main occupation and make some money. I am also currently trying to learn C++ :idiot: It is fun.

My opinion: I think it should be WEnd. That is my prefered preference :D. What is yours?

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

WEnd because it's ending the "W"hile 1 and every new word in autoi-it's functions all have a caps letter for a new word that is on one word...

so it's ending "W"while 1 abrviating it with "W" and then saying "End" so "W"+"End"= "WEnd"

:idiot:

FootbaG