WinPE 2 Made Easy (Easy way to create/maintain your WinPE)

MadBoy

WinPE Made Easy is a project that is supposed to lower amount of steps needed to create and maintain one or more Windows PE Custom CD/USB images. The program should work with Windows PE 2.0 and Windows PE 2.1.

It's completly written in AutoIt v3 but the source won't be posted. If you find any bugs or see any place for additions please let me know and I shall fix it :)

How to use it in 3 simple steps:

1) Download and install WAIK 2.1 or WAIK 2.0 (either one should work)

2. Run the program, follow the nessecary steps

3. Create USB Pendrive or Generic CD (.iso image) or Custom CD/DVD using instructions given.

Screenshots: WinPE_Setup.PNG, WinPE_Drivers.PNG, WinPE_AddFiles.PNG, WinPE_RemoveFiles.PNG, WinPE_StartUp.PNG,WinPE_Create.PNG

Abilities of this little proggy:

- add builtin (HTA,VBS etc) components,

- add drivers,

- add files/folders to BOOT.WIM (inside) or just copy files/folders to dir structure (for example to USB/DVD drive),

- remove files/folders from to BOOT.WIM (inside) or just remove files/folders from dir structure (for example from USB). Things like fonts directory, unnessecary .exe's etc

- create startup file

- load/save settings to file to reuse when needed.

Tips & Tricks (Section - StartUp)

1. Program uses starnet.cmd to start it's own created startnet.exe (therfore starnet.cmd will be overwritten and have one value)

2. When adding programs to startup startnet.au3 is created and then compiled into .exe

3. File startnet.au3 is left inside \Windows\System32 folder next to startnet.cmd so you can verify it's contents yourself (might be removed later on)

4. When you add programs to StartUp listview don't forget to add X:\winpeinit.exe as this is nessecary for drivers to be detected

5. When you add programs to StartUp listview don't forget that the order does matter. Program will start programs from top to bottom so don't put winpeinit.exe last ;-)

6. Program by default hides the first CMD window therfore if you want to use console add 'cmd.exe' to StartUp

Tips & Tricks (Section - Loading/Saving)

1. Program by default looks for directory called Configuration in same dir as the .exe file. If you put your config files there then you will have ability to find them easier

Tips & Tricks (Section - Creating WinPE)

1. Program when creating USB PenDrive will delete all files from the USB device. Keep that in mind!

Changelog for Version 1.0.0.3

- Fixed bug where boot.wim wouldn't be mounted at all (code was accidentally deleted)

- Changed WAIK Path. It required full path to PEToolS in WAIK\Tools directory instead of just WAIK directory

For example instead of C:\Program Files\Windows AIK it required C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools

This has now been changed.

Changelog for Version 1.0.0.2

- Added logging to file. All actions that are visible in the log window can now be found at winpe_made_easy.log located in programs directory

- Fixed bug where boot.wim wouldn't be created (2KB boot.wim empty wim file was created instead)

Changelog for Version 1.0.0.1

- Fixed bug where Generic and Custom .ISO would be created even thou checkboxes weren't checked

Things to do:

- Configuration of logging (whether there should be file created or not)

- Copying file process improvments (to not try to copy something that doesn't exists - but that's how the .cmd's in WAIK were predefined)

Download program below

Version 1.0.0.3 - WinPE Made Easy v 1.0.0.3

Archive of download (left just in case). Use the newest version above.\

Version 1.0.0.2 - WinPE Made Easy v 1.0.0.2

Version 1.0.0.0 - WinPE Made Easy v 1.0.0.0

My little company: Evotec (PL version: Evotec)

Hi,

looks nice, but is it only for Vista or does it also work with XP ?

Greetz

Greenhorn

Hello,

Well the program itself should work under Vista or XP but it will create WinPE from WAIK 2.0 and 2.1 only (which is WinPE based on VISTA and VISTA SP1 (2.1)).

Hope that answers your question.

MadBoy

• 9 months later...

Great application!

It is possibile see the code? I'm developing some feature for my purpose and I think it's possibile insert in your project

Last time i sent the code to soemone who promised to send it back after he adds some stuff i never saw the msg back ;-) So i have to think about it :P