installing a software silently...

hi,

i am trying to run a (exe) setup silently but during the installation it prompts for a yes and no option.

any one please tell me the full procedure.

how can i install softwares silently ?

thanks!

hi,

i am trying to run a (exe) setup silently but during the installation it prompts for a yes and no option.

thanks!

Not all installers work the same, it would help to know what the program is.

hi,

thanks!

If you want to use a build in "silent" function, try to find out, what's the required command line switch. You can try "ThisSetup.exe /?" to get help, or use the options " /q", " /s", "/u" and other letters.

If you want just to wrap it with an autoit script, use the autoit window info tool to find the controlID of that button.

Autoit Help File:

winwaitactive()

controlclick()

send()

and the mouse*() functions. Also look up MouseCoordMode

Good luck, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

hi,

thanks!

You can select which button to press by sending keystrokes to the computer very quickly.

You can also use InetGet - check it out in the help file.

Hope this helps.

Run (Brain.exe)

hi,

thanks!

Someone else said that some installers have a built-in silent or options, but I have found that most do not. I have built many installers and uninstallers. They are simple to make. When you installed autoit, there is a small program called "AUTOIT Window Info". As you install it once, capture the information and put into a script. For the yes or no option use a controlclick to click the button.

RUN . . . Slide . . . TAG . . . Your out . . . PAINTBALL !!!

Someone else said that some installers have a built-in silent or options, but I have found that most do not. I have built many installers and uninstallers. They are simple to make. When you installed autoit, there is a small program called "AUTOIT Window Info". As you install it once, capture the information and put into a script. For the yes or no option use a controlclick to click the button.

I've found that most installers do have silent install options. MSI and InstallShield both have silent install options and are the most popular types of installers.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, LPIC-1, MCSA | Languages: AutoIt, C, SQL, .NETBooks: AutoIt v3: Your Quick Guide - $7.99 - O'Reilly Media - September 2007-------->[u]AutoIt v3 Development - newbie to g33k[/u] - Coming Soon - Fate Publishing - Spring 2013UDF Libraries: SkypeCOM UDF Library | ADUC Computers OU Cleanup | Find PixelChecksumExamples: Skype COM Examples - Skype4COMLib Examples converted from VBS to AutoIt

I agree. In the years that I've worked as a ZENWorks administrator I've had to repackage well over 100 software setup packages for hands-free install, and there have been about 3 that I had to break down and use AutoIt to hotkey through the dialogs.

A vast, vast majority of commercial installers out there were made with InstallShield, and if a package won't install satisfactorily with the default /S silent install, you can record your own SETUP.ISS answer file based on your own dialog choices.

If I find a setup that isn't an InstallShield package I'll use FileAlyzer to see if I can figure out what tool was used to build it, usually discovering that it's either InnoSetup or NSIS...

A few times when I've had a single-file install that didn't seem to fall into any of these categories I was able to use the old trick of starting the install and then checking my %TMP% folder, sometimes finding an newly unpacked InstallShield install folder tree that I could then copy elsewhere and configure as needed.

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

Also check here (C:\Program Files\Common Files) after clicking install it usually puts it under Wise Installation Wizard at least for adobe. Also give the trial version of admin studio 8.6 called tuner a try it saved my bacon a couple of times.

• 1 month later...

hi im beginer pls help i find one script about silent install i try to enter other aplication to install language patch script cannot run other sfx archive lang.exe this is replace language files in instal folder

RunWait ( "setup.exe /S" )

WinWaitActive ( "program" )

WinClose ( "program" )

WinWaitActive ( "Exit program?" , "Are you sure you want to exit program" )

ControlClick ( "Exit program?" , "" , "Button1" )

this is my entry RunWait ( "lang.exe" )

thank you

@eko

Details are sometimes important.

RunWait("Setup.exe /s") works for some installers and not for others.

From what you posted I can only assume that the installer automatically starts up the program when it finishes but you did not provide that detail. I assumed that from

WinWaitActive ( "program" )

but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Also where does RunWait ( "lang.exe" ) enter the overall scheme?

I'm afraid you will have to provide more details if you want a reasonable answer. Also if you search the forums you will find several examples of silent installs.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"