msgbox line break in a variable or wrap

I'm kind of anxious to know the answer to this.. I've tried everything i can think of...

WHERE ARE YOU REGEXP GODS?! muttley

You may have to wait a while Paulie. Smoke_N doesn't have much time for the forums these days. He does still check but not as frequently as he once did.

Edit: Paulie, did you try replacing \r with \r\n|\z

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

• Moderators

I read the thread, but I'm still lost as to what exactly the goal is here (Step by Step).

I do better with step by step, then and a Before and After, so I don't waste my time.

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

The last thing that needs to be done with this is, forgive me if I'm not clear, if there is a punctuation at the end of the word, it should be considered as part of the word. Ex. "John jumped." The period in that is considered as part of "jumped", so if the period lands at the wrap point, then the entire word along with the period, "jumped." is wrapped to the next line and not just the period. I guess this can be accomplished with REGEXP.

Edited by Champak

• Moderators

Ok, so I read through everything, this didn't take but about a minute, so if it's wrong :P

$Text = "THIS IS A REALLY LONG TEXT LINE THAT WOULD MAKE A REALLY LONG MESSAGE BOX" & _
" AND SO WE WANT TO WORD WRAP IT BUT NOT CUT OFF THE WORDS! IT IS 155 CHARS LONG!!!"

$CharsPerLine = 15
$s_output = StringRegExpReplace($Text, "(.{" & $CharsPerLine & "}\w*[\s,\?\.\!'" & '"]*)', "\1" & @CRLF)
MsgBox(0, @extended, $s_output)

Edit:

You may want to throw in [[:punct:]] in there or manually add all the punctuation marks.

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

That's cool, as of now I can't see a problem with it for me, but technically, what that does is...I guess...is prevent the wrap if the punctuation is the last thing, or something like that. The problem that may arise out of that in some cases is if someone does something like triple/quadruple or some other type of punctuation combo, it just stretches out the msgbox and defeats the purpose of the wrap at that point until the next word. As I said, I'm pretty much good with it as is, but thought I'd just let you know. Thanks.

• Moderators

That's cool, as of now I can't see a problem with it for me, but technically, what that does is...I guess...is prevent the wrap if the punctuation is the last thing, or something like that. The problem that may arise out of that in some cases is if someone does something like triple/quadruple or some other type of punctuation combo, it just stretches out the msgbox and defeats the purpose of the wrap at that point until the next word. As I said, I'm pretty much good with it as is, but thought I'd just let you know. Thanks.

Err... I'm not sure I'm following you. Do you even understand what it does? It doesn't just stop at one punctuation if there are more.

...this didn't take but about a minute...

ppsh... yeah ok.. show off! :P

EDIT: i think he means the point is to limit the max length of each line it there are a whole punch of punct marks, it doesn't wrap word+Punctuation to the next line. Observe:

#include <array.au3>
$Text = "THIS IS A REALLY LONG. TEXT LINE THAT. WOULD MAKE A REALLY. LONG. MESSAGE. BOX." & _
" AND.!!!! SO WE WANT TO WORD WRAP IT BUT NOT CUT OFF THE WORDS! IT IS 155 CHARS LONG!!!"

$CharsPerLine = 9
$s_output = StringRegExp($Text, "(.{" & $CharsPerLine & "}\w*[\s,\?\.\!'" & '"]*)',3)
_ArrayDisplay($S_Output)
Dim $Lengths[UBound($S_Output)]
For $i = 0 to UBound($S_Output)-1
    $Lengths[$i] = StringLen($S_Output[$i])
Next
_ArrayDisplay($Lengths, "MAX LENGTH: "&$CharsPerLine)
Edited by Paulie

Take this for example

$Text = "THIS IS A REALLY LONG TEXT LINE THAT WOULD MAKE A REALLY LONG MESSAGE BOX" & _
" AND SO WE WANT TO WORD WRAP IT BUT NOT CUT OFF THE WORDS! IT IS 155 CHARS LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Another line."

$CharsPerLine = 23
$s_output = StringRegExpReplace($Text, "(.{" & $CharsPerLine & "}\w*[\s,\?\.\!'" & '"]*)', "\1" & @CRLF)

My thinking BEFORE, was that it should wrap at "LONG", because the exclamation points (although extreme in this example) are pushing the msgbox beyond the size the programmers design/wishes; the punctuations should be considered as part of the word, and hence cause the word "LONG" to go to the next line. But as I said I think it is great as is, and can now see reasons why it should prob stay this way...or maybe have an option if anything.

Edited by Champak

• Moderators

Take this for example

" AND SO WE WANT TO WORD WRAP IT BUT NOT CUT OFF THE WORDS! IT IS 155 CHARS LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Another line."

$CharsPerLine = 23

My thinking BEFORE, was that it should wrap at "LONG", because the exclamation points (although extreme in this example) are pushing the msgbox beyond the size the programmers design/wishes; the punctuations should be considered as part of the word, and hence cause the word "LONG" to go to the next line. But as I said I think it is great as is, and can now see reasons why it should prob stay this way...or maybe have an option if anything.

Well word wrap isn't going to stop at an exact number. What if you have a word that is more than the characters you have allotted for? That's why I wrote it like I did. It's up to you to use a sensible max buffer to understand that there may be situations that could arise that you have a 50 character word, and using 23 characters as a buffer just doesn't seem to make much sense does it.

Either that, or you can go back to the way ya'll were doing it before :P ...

• Moderators

That's exactly why I said.

I agree.

I didn't think I read that... anyway, you have my curiousity up now... is this more what you expected:

$CharsPerLine = 23
$s_output = StringRegExpReplace($Text, "(.{" & $CharsPerLine & "}\w*[\s,;:></\\|\}\]\{\[-_\?\.\!'" & '"]*)', "\1" & @CRLF)
$s_output2 = _StringRegExpWordWrap($Text, $CharsPerLine)
MsgBox(0, @extended, $s_output & @CRLF & @CRLF & $s_output2)

Func _StringRegExpWordWrap($s_string, $i_maxchars)
    Local $s_output = StringRegExpReplace($s_string, _
        "([\w\s,;:></\\|\}\]\{\[-_\?\.\!'" & '"]{' & $i_maxchars & "}\w*)", "\1" & @CRLF)
    Return StringRegExpReplace($s_output, "\r\n\z", "")
EndFunc
(The output2)?

Edit:

The first one I did there with no function is a better way to do it I think... because the second one won't just pick up "any char", only the ones I specified.

Edited by SmOke_N

It's ironic you posted that, I was just coming back to reply again. I agree your first one is better, also, I couldn't get stringstripws (I didn't try too hard) to work with the second one, and it seems as though it is needed for the second one.

I noticed the distinct difference in your version and Paulie's. His looks at the next word, and if the character count is going to exceed the max length, it puts it to the next line (which I like). With yours, if the character count is at 20 with a limit of 22 and the next word has 5 characters, it will allow that word and then let the next word start on the next line (EDIT: which I guess is how yours is able to take the punctuations into consideration); which is why I guess there was that initial confusion by me with your first example. Also Paulie's character count takes spaces and punctuations into consideration in its count. So I guess there's no real way to blend the two.?.?.

Or am I wrong in what I'm seeing?

Edited by Champak

• Moderators

It's ironic you posted that, I was just coming back to reply again. I agree your first one is better, also, I couldn't get stringstripws (I didn't try too hard) to work with the second one, and it seems as though it is needed for the second one.

I noticed the distinct difference in your version and Paulie's. His looks at the next word, and if the character count is going to exceed the max length, it puts it to the next line (which I like). With yours, if the character count is at 20 with a limit of 22 and the next word has 5 characters, it will allow that word and then let the next word start on the next line; which is why I guess there was that initial confusion by me with your first example. Also Paulie's character count takes spaces and punctuations into consideration in its count. So I guess there's no real way to blend the two.?.?.

Or am I wrong in what I'm seeing?

Mine is one line of code, of course I could code exceptions... but then again... so can you :P ... As I personally don't have a need for it.

• Moderators

I started getting lost in the code, so it looks a mess. I couldn't figure out how to do it straight RegEx because you have so many stipulations, so I improvised:

$s_text = _
        "THIS IS A REALLY LONG TEXT LINE THAT " & _
        "WOULD MAKE A REALLY LONG MESSAGE BOX" & _
        " AND SO WE WANT TO WORD WRAP IT BUT " & _
        "NOT CUT OFF THE WORDS! IT IS 155 CHARS " & _
        "LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Another line."

$s_output = _StringRegExpWordWrap2($s_text, 23)
MsgBox(64, "Info", $s_output)

Func _StringRegExpWordWrap2($s_string, $i_maxchars, $s_delim = @CRLF, $b_no_leading_spaces = True, $b_skip_cr_lf = True)
    Local $a_sre = StringRegExp($s_string, "(?s)(?:(\w+|[[:punct:]]+|(?:\r\n|\r|\n)+|\W+))", 3)
    Local $n_len, $n_ub = UBound($a_sre) - 1
    Local $s_output, $s_return, $n_outlen, $i
    For $i = 0 To $n_ub
        $n_len = StringLen($a_sre[$i])
        $n_outlen = StringLen($s_output)

If ($n_outlen + $n_len > $i_maxchars) Then
            $s_return &= $s_output & $s_delim
            $s_output = ""
        EndIf

If $b_skip_cr_lf And StringRegExp($a_sre[$i], "\r|\n") Then ContinueLoop
        If $b_no_leading_spaces And $s_output = "" And StringRegExp($a_sre[$i], "^\s+\z") Then ContinueLoop

If $i < $n_ub Then
            If StringRegExp($a_sre[$i + 1], "^[[:punct:]]+\z") Then
                If (($n_outlen + $n_len + StringLen($a_sre[$i + 1])) > $i_maxchars) Then
                    If (($n_len + StringLen($a_sre[$i + 1])) > $i_maxchars) Then
                        If $s_output <> "" Then $s_return &= $s_output & $s_delim
                        $s_return &= StringLeft($a_sre[$i] & $a_sre[$i + 1], $i_maxchars) & $s_delim
                        $s_output = StringTrimLeft($a_sre[$i] & $a_sre[$i + 1], $i_maxchars)
                    Else
                        If $s_output <> "" Then $s_return &= $s_output & $s_delim
                        $s_output = $a_sre[$i] & $a_sre[$i + 1]
                    EndIf
                    $i += 1
                Else
                    $s_output &= $a_sre[$i]
                EndIf
            Else
                $s_output &= $a_sre[$i]
            EndIf
        Else
            $s_output &= StringRegExpReplace($a_sre[$i], "(.{" & $i_maxchars & "})", "\1" & $s_delim)
        EndIf
    Next
    Return $s_return & $s_output
EndFunc