Replacing Strings

Uh, hi, I'm back again... with another question:

I'm trying to open a list of .txt files and replace certain strings within them with one string. So, I understand I could use _ReplaceStringInFile, but is it possible to to replace two characters and everything inbetwen them, regardless of what the innards might be? For instance, I could be trying to replace "(jack.what)" with "pizza" in one file. But, in another file its not "(jack.what)" but "(john.what)." Is it possible for AutoIt to somehow recognize the strings resembling a pattern, so that it could replace them, without having to actually specify what it exactly has to replace?

StringRegExpReplace()

As per your example:

$Test = "Blah Blah Blah this is sample text (john.what) more text (jack.what) even more text!!!! (OMFG DIFFERENT TEXT)"

$Result = StringRegExpReplace($Test, "\((.*?)\)", "pizza"); replaces anything in parenthesis with "pizza"

MsgBox(0,"","Before: " & @CRLF & $Test & @CRLF & @CRLF & "After: " & @CRLF & $Result)

$handle=FileOpen("file.txt",0)
$text1=FileRead($handle)
$text2=StringRegExpReplace($text1,"\((.*?)\)","word")
_ReplaceStringInFile("path\file.txt",$text1,$text2"",0)

So, this would be how I would use that function to edit the file, right?

Note: Nvm about this note, if you already read it before this last edit. I understand it now. Thanks.

Edited by Jon8c