Send: Keys cant be released?

I got an annoying bug or whatever. Try this code:

Send("{LCTRL down}")
Sleep(1000)
Send("{LCTRL up}")

Even after the script execution stops the CTRL button is still pressed, even if you didnt touch it. I guess, key releasing just doesnt work.

I appreciate any comments / suggestions!

Regards,

- bmaker

Edited by bmaker

Read this post/thread and the bug report link in that post:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...st&p=560741

It must be a feature instead of a bug :-(

Thank you for your reply! In my opinion it's a bug as long as it is not documented in the Send() documentation. AutoIt is great and the documentation is very good all in all, but it seems that this issue isnt mentioned anywhere in the documentation. Actually the documentation is WRONG, because it says that my code should press CTRL and release it afterwards. That doesnt happen.

Where can I find the "FAQ workaround"? I dont find it, sorry.

Regards, bmaker

Edited by bmaker

Thank you for your reply! In my opinion it's a bug as long as it is not documented in the Send() documentation. AutoIt is great and the documentation is very good all in all, but it seems that this issue isnt mentioned anywhere in the documentation. Actually the documentation is WRONG, because it says that my code should press CTRL and release it afterwards. That doesnt happen.

Where can I find the "FAQ workaround"? I dont find it, sorry.

Regards, bmaker

It's a sticky in this forum.

Here's the post by martin: #512706

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

...Actually the documentation is WRONG, because it says that my code should press CTRL and release it afterwards. That doesnt happen...

I've use AutoIt since the V2 days and I have lots of scripts that use the Windows modifier keys. They all worked fine until something changed. Either one of the 1000s of XP patches changed the OS or something changed within AutoIt3. I'm willing to say that AutoIt maybe sending the correct commands to the OS - but the OS no longer does what it is supposed to do.

My Bug Report died and I'm not sure how to resurrect it. Perhaps others will have to submit a Bug Report on the issue.

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Thank you for your replies, I guess I fixed my issue now.

Anyway, this still doesnt work for example:

_SendEx("{LCTRL down}") ; holds down LCTRL

_SendEx("{LCTRL up}") ; cant release LCTRL, because SendEx waits for LCTRL to be released

All in all: AutoIt cant be used to hold down special keys like CTRL, ALT and SHIFT, because they cant be released by AutoIt afterwards.

...All in all: AutoIt cant be used to hold down special keys like CTRL, ALT and SHIFT, because they cant be released by AutoIt afterwards.

Bummer - I was so wrapped up in the dead bug report that I failed to test your code with martin's work around before pointing you there.

Glad that you found another way.

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

The problem with LCTRL down and LCTRL up doesn't occur with CTRLDOWN and CTRLUP, although that might not help.

But here's a way to turn off LCTRL down

Send("{LCTRL down}")
sleep(1000)
Send("{CTRLDOWN}")
Send("{CTRLUP}")

The reason this works is, um, well it's because ........

I have no idea.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.